Security News New multi platform malware/adware spreading via Facebook Messenger

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
One good thing about having a lot of Facebook friends is that you simply act as a honey pot when your friends click on malicious things. A few days ago I got a message on Facebook from a person I very rarely speak to, and I knew that something fishy was going on.

After just a few minutes analyzing the message, I understood that I was just peeking at the top of this iceberg. This malware was spreading via Facebook Messenger, serving multi platform malware/adware, using tons of domains to prevent tracking, and earning clicks. The code is advanced and obfuscated.

Here is a screenshot of the JavaScript, an potential injector. Filename is “injection.js” (ebc117c0cf03ad4b13184d1253862586)

Full Article. New multi platform malware/adware spreading via Facebook Messenger

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Happened to me several years ago, up till this day I'm still not sure if my friend was hacked or was she posting malicious files on purpose.

Got a message from someone I rarely speak to asking me to try a some "new software" that her team was developing for a free voucher, responded and asked for the link, downloaded the file and then ran it through virustotal, came back with 9/52 engines detected as malware. Uploaded the file to malwarehub and let it spread to the other AVs, I'm pretty sure at least 40 of the engines detect it was malware now

D

Deleted member 65228

Happened to me several years ago, up till this day I'm still not sure if my friend was hacked or was she posting malicious files on purpose.
There is a 90%> chance that she was infected because if she wasn't she would be infecting people while allowing everyone to be aware that she was responsible for any damages... Which would not end nicely for both personal relationships and legal reasons!

In 2010 I had a strange infection (for me at the time) which would replace messages I try to send with links to inappropriate websites on sites like Facebook. Really embarrassing!!

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
I don't use a facebook/twitter accounts. However I created about 10 facebook accounts some years ago but now they ask me to confirm them by giving my mobile number to which a sms will be sent. I don't want to give them my mobile number.
It is a good article posted by frogboy to be awared of such malwares.

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Thankfully it wasn't you personally @frogboy, it just shows how easily something like this spreads and although i opened a FB account, i have no friends (on purpose) so at least i won't be a happy clicker ;) nor do i read any messages that are on it, lol.

I don't use a facebook/twitter accounts. However I created about 10 facebook accounts some years ago but now they ask me to confirm them by giving my mobile number to which a sms will be sent. I don't want to give them my mobile number.
It is a good article posted by frogboy to be awared of such malwares.

I'm pretty sure that mine asked for a phone number and i just dismissed that message, i certainly didn't give one to them, in fact, i don't even use my real name :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.