• point-danger-4063bbab.png
    Put an end to malicious tempering
  • point-auto-backup-a79becde.png
    Auto backup your documents upon any modifications
  • point-30-days-582b6535.png
    Keep the backups for 30 days; make the disk burden free

Afraid of Malware infection?
Document Protector Always helps

Our database covers almost all the virus samples which can help decrypt your files and safeguard your system.

One simple click
No more risk

Still annoyed by virus infection, malicious tampering, or system crash? Get 360 Document Protector now to stay away from all the troubles.

screenshot-4548b15d.png

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Although it does protect the Documents well (and is interesting as the backup process only initiates when malware tries to screw with the doc's) and all encrypted stuff can be restored, note that this application is ONLY for the Document folder so will have less utility and is certainly less mature than the Backup/Restore solutions promoted by AppCheck and RanStop.

But it does seem that this is the Sign O' the Times. All specific anti-ransomware applications should initiate this sort of thing for cutting edge ransomware whenever in the future they arise (just my opinion, but as I'm always correct...).

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Just do the quick test.
Here are the results:

View attachment 149021
9/13 restored. Could be better and it would suck if those 4 missing files were considered your most important ones but at the end of the day I guess it's still better than losing all your data.

Would be nice to see Qihoo become an associate or supporting partner of No More Ransom.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Running in a standard account, I couldn't change settings. It seems to break Comodo Firewall somehow too. I installed it and CFW broke a short time later when I switched to the Admin account to see if I could add doc formats. Ran the repair of CFW which didn't find anything but fixed it anyway. To verify I removed 360 File Protector with Comodo Programs Manager and then reinstalled it. Got the exact same routine and had to run the Comodo repair again.

I love the idea of this. Hope Qihoo pushes this into 360 TS in a form that won't break anything.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
nm, 360 updated in the admin account. I see the tool but its just a link to the download I tried before. Hopefully its not a conflict with AppCheck A/RW causing the problem with CFW and the settings problem. Think I will try again but leave 360 DP on the PC and run the Comodo repair with it there...see if CFW will work that way.

Update EDIT: Rebooted and logged in admin acct first, and Comodo didnt break even when I logged out and into to standard acct. Still cant add more protected file types tho...

Last edited:

Aggelos

Level 1
Sep 26, 2015
Hello! Can someone test this anti-ransomware tool with this list to find out if it's working? Thanks!

.xlsx,*.acd,*.pdf,*.pfx,*.crt,*.der,*.cad,*.dwg,*.MPEG,*.rar,*.veg,*.zip,*.txt,*.jpg,*.doc,*.wbk,*.mdb,*.vcf,*.docx,*.ics,*.vsc,*.mdf,*.dsr,*.mdi,*.msg,*.xls,*.ppt,*.pps,*.obd,*.mpd,*.dot,*.xlt,*.pot,*.obt,*.htm,*.html,*.mix,*.pub,*.vsd,*.png,*.ico,*.rtf,*.odt,*.3dm,*.3ds,*.dxf,*.max,*.obj,*.7z,*.cbr,*.deb,*.gz,*.rpm,*.sitx,*.tar,*.tar,*.gz,*.zipx,*.aif,*.iff,*.m3u,*.m4a,*.mid,*.key,*.vib,*.stl,*.psd,*.ova,*.xmod,*.wda,*.prn,*.zpf,*.swm,*.xml,*.xlsm,*.par,*.tib,*.waw,*.001,*.002,*.003,*.004,*.005,*.006,*.007,*.008,*.009,*.010,*.contact,*.dbx,*.jnt,*.mapimail,*.oab,*.ods,*.ppsm,*.pptm,*.prf,*.pst,*.wab,*.1cd,*.3g2,*.7ZIP,*.accdb,*.aoi,*.asf,*.asp,*.aspx,*.asx,*.avi,*.bak,*.cer,*.cfg,*.class,*.config,*.css,*.csv,*.db,*.dds,*.fif,*.flv,*.idx,*.js,*.kwm,*.laccdb,*.idf,*.lit,*.mbx,*.md,*.mlb,*.mov,*.mp3,*.mp4,*.mpg,*.pages,*.php,*.pwm,*.rm,*.safe,*.sav,*.save,*.sql,*.srt,*.swf,*.thm,*.vob,*.wav,*.wma,*.wmv,*.xlsb,*.aac,*.ai,*.arw,*.c,*.cdr,*.cls,*.cpi,*.cpp,*.cs,*.db3,*.docm,*.dotm,*.dotx,*.drw,*.dxb,*.eps,*.fla,*.flac,*.fxg,*.java,*.m,*.m4v,*.pcd,*.pct,*.pl,*.potm,*.potx,*.ppam,*.ppsx,*.ps,*.pspimage,*.r3d,*.rw2,*.sldm,*.sldx,*.svg,*.tga,*.wps,*.xla,*.xlam,*.xlm,*.xltm,*.xltx,*.xlw,*.act,*.adp,*.al,*.bkp,*.blend,*.cdf,*.cdx,*.cgm,*.cr2,*.dac,*.dbf,*.dcr,*.ddd,*.design,*.dtd,*.fdb,*.fff,*.fpx,*.h,*.iif,*.indd,*.jpeg,*.mos,*.nd,*.nsd,*.nsf,*.nsg,*.nsh,*.odc,*.odp,*.oil,*.pas,*.pat,*.pef,*.ptx,*.qbb,*.qbm,*.sas7bdat,*.say,*.st4,*.st6,*.stc,*.sxc,*.sxw,*.tlg,*.wad,*.xlk,*.aiff,*.bin,*.bmp,*.cmt,*.dat,*.dit,*.edb,*.flvv,*.gif,*.groups,*.hdd,*.hpp,*.log,*.m2ts,*.m4p,*.mkv,*.ndf,*.nvram,*.ogg,*.ost,*.pab,*.pdb,*.pif,*.qed,*.qcow,*.qcow2,*.rvt,*.st7,*.stm,*.vbox,*.vdi,*.vhd,*.vhdx,*.vmdk,*.vmsd,*.vmx,*.vmxf,*.3fr,*.3pr,*.ab4,*.accde,*.accdt,*.ach,*.acr,*.adb,*.srw,*.st5,*.st8,*.std,*.sti,*.stw,*.stx,*.sxd,*.sxg,*.sxi,*.sxm,*.tex,*.wallet,*.wb2,*.wp,*.x11,*.x3f,*.xis,*.ycbcra,*.qbw,*.qbx,*.qby,*.raf,*.rat,*.raw,*.rdb,*.rwl,*.rwz,*.s3db,*.sd0,*.sda,*.sdf,*.sqlite,*.sqlite3,*.sqlitedb,*.sr,*.srf,*.oth,*.otp,*.ots,*.ott,*.p12,*.p7b,*.p7c,*.pdd,*.pem,*.plus_muhd,*.plc,*.pptx,*.psafe3,*.py,*.qba,*.qbr,*.myd,*.ndd,*.nef,*.nk,*.nop,*.nrw,*.ns2,*.ns3,*.ns4,*.nwb,*.nx2,*.nxl,*.nyf,*.odb,*.odf,*.odg,*.odm,*.ord,*.otg,*.ibz,*.iiq,*.incpas,*.jpe,*.kc2,*.kdbx,*.kdc,*.kpdx,*.lua,*.mdc,*.mef,*.mfw,*.mmw,*.mny,*.moneywell,*.mrw,*.des,*.dgc,*.djvu,*.dng,*.drf,*.dxg,*.eml,*.erbsql,*.erd,*.exf,*.ffd,*.fh,*.fhd,*.gray,*.grey,*.gry,*.hbk,*.ibank,*.ibd,*.cdr4,*.cdr5,*.cdr6,*.cdrw,*.ce1,*.ce2,*.cib,*.craw,*.crw,*.csh,*.csl,*.db_journal,*.dc2,*.dcs,*.ddoc,*.ddrw,*.ads,*.agdl,*.ait,*.apj,*.asm,*.awg,*.back,*.backup,*.backupdb,*.bank,*.bay,*.bdb,*.bgt,*.bik,*.bpw,*.cdr3,*.as4,*.exe

Last edited:

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
first of all it is not anti ransomware tool but backup utility. which takes backup only when file extensions defined in the setting are modified by the user or by the malware.

Reactions: FrFc1908

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
first of all it is not anti ransomware tool but backup utility. which takes backup only when file extensions defined in the setting are modified by the user or by the malware.

It's not very good at the present time. I sent a Feedback message to Qihoo, and they said in an e-mail reply there are plans to release a new version of the program. Kind of interesting considering there is no update option anywhere in the standalone application. However, it is also distributed via the main a-v, so it may be updated through that mechanism for 360 a-v users.

Problems I mentioned in the Feedback message:
1. Can't use the setting to change/add file extensions of files to be backed up to back up chosen files
2. No update options
3. No way to set protected zones for the backup function to work as user decides

Supposedly ransomware type behavior will trigger the backup, so it would be anti-ransomware in one sense as long as the backups can't be encrypted too. Pretty sure they thought of that already at Qihoo and they probably made 360 Document Protect the only app with the right to write to the backup folder. However, it is kind of a strange app in principle. Qihoo is basically saying, "360 can't identify all ransomware, but we can create this app which will back up files if something starts to exhibit behaviors consistent with ransomware." As for the other issues, I guess we'll have to wait and see how the company approaches the situation and what they do. As it is I agree the tool is useless in its present form.

I think everyone is in some amount of limbo over ransomware, even if they are making progress on the issue. Qihoo is one of the newest programs, so the challenge is a little bit bigger for them, but I give them credit for at least acknowledging the problem. Whether they are able to follow through on this I feel is a big key for the long term success of 360, so I am waiting to see what happens.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Yes, so far it's useless. It doesn't even protect all office files just word/ppt/excel. Not even any pics :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.