I am able to edit list

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
OK, good to see it is working for you. Don't know what could be blocking in here, so I will have to do some digging to see. I have spent some time already, but it looks like a good app if it can be configured as you show.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I am able to edit list

Thanks for taking the time to take and upload the image. I see now that I am able to edit the list. Not sure what I was doing wrong as I think I did the same thing as before. It is a little clumsy to have to add the extensions to the line below the defaults and then include the defaults also.

I just tried restoring a file and noticed it did not appear in the restore location. That has me a little bit concerned, but at least I think the files will be backed up now. I think this program needs to be put to the test against ransomware to see how well it recognizes malware and then to test the restore feature. Maybe someone will get around to running one at some point.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for the notice @roger_m. That helps...unless you have 1000s of documents o_O

Looking at the way Qihoo has structured this, it appears to me they would do better to come up with something else. I mean, the idea is files are backed up if Qihoo detects malware/ransomeware, so why not stick with that or else just create a full secure documents backup solution (one way sync). Only the backup app can write to the backup folder..

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Appcheck, this and similar saves a copy of the file when it is deleted, correct?

Short answer->AppCheck->free only backs up most recent few files on each drive in case some files are encrypted before AppCheck blocks a ransomware. Long answer below.

AppCheck pay does backup all files and it protects the MBR too. I have been looking at the activity of 360 DP, and it's unusual. As @roger_m noted documents saved will be backed up by 360 DP. This includes to remote drives as I have just noted playing with saving documents. It just backed up a pic I saved to the D drive. However existing documents copied and pasted or moved from one location to another will not be backed up. Has to be an actual save event for the file to be added to the backup folder.

One other strange thing about 360 DP is that it is saving files from Program Files and from AppData in user space. I set it to save .txt and pic files so it's grabbing logs that get updated in prog areas and appdata and then also even pics in the Google Chrome cache. That's kind of messy honestly and as far as I can tell there isn't a way to define what is saved in the backup folder.

For now I just have 360 on here to study it for awhile. Hopefully Qihoo will refine it some. It has potential, but I feel it needs work.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks. I'm just thinking if it might have utility outside malware. Like a pseudo-Recycle Bin.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks. I'm just thinking if it might have utility outside malware. Like a pseudo-Recycle Bin.

I have had a couple of ideas about this app since I started thinking about this. You know, I'm not sure it wouldn't be better for Qihoo to have just made a dialog for whitelisting applications to change files in user designated areas. Then the program could just ask for native Windows type edits and bulk edits in those areas if the user initiated the action. This is a raunchy backup app and who knows about the protection during an attack. Seems it would even be better to back up files to disconnected drive and be done with the issue that way.

Not sure about recycle bin. If there is a review, maybe we will see what's possible. Hard to tell without seeing what happens during an attack if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.