AV-Comparatives - Real world AV Test for March 2018

Hawaii007

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2018
AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Real World Protection Test Overview

Take a look
Untitled.jpeg

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So with a responsible user, windows defender is unbeatable?
according to an old reply from AV-C's staff, he said they used Chrome as the default browser for the real world protection test
real word = download malwares from links -> execute

this is the limitation of our hub test because we ignore the web protection, mostly. We only test web protection with script files when they are trying to download payloads

this means this test includes web filter + signatures + BB
for WD, I bet 99% of user-dependent scores belong to Windows Smartscreen (not browser, Edge/IE)
we know smartscreen is super sensitive and prone to FPs

Oh yes you are right. But how good is the filter? Never seen a test...and i dont wanna use the microsoft crap browser for having these protection (n)
Edge's smartscreen is extremely powerful. It's on-par with google safe browsing, sometimes better
Edge's smartscreen (= phishing + malware) also has a part of windows smartscreen (only malware, no phishing) so if we use other browsers other than edge, we will have malware filter from that browser + malware filter from smartscreen after we execute the downloaded files

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
The way we all go on on the forums it's as though we're at risk of an imminent, targeted state sponsored attack :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Use Windows defaults for 12 months + Plus safe browsing habits and see how many times you get infected lol.
HEAR HEAR (+ APPLAUSE) the real world is not as bad as experts on security forums would like think we are (under constant siege of malware attacks).

Although Google made a funny comparison: the chances of downloading a malware from Google Play Store is as low as the earth being hit by an meteorite. This makes people think the real world chance is near zero, because we don't hear of meteorites in the news. Fact is that the earth is hit by meteorites every day: only 99,9994% of them burn in Earh's atmosphere. Still Google told the truth (about Google missing malware in the Play Store that is) :ROFLMAO:

AV-Comparatives is able to acquire 200 to 250 live new malware URLS's per month. There are over 6 billion websites and over 2 billion mobile devices. So how big is the chance of (1) running into malwre AND (2) your AntiVirus misses it? Less than a meteorite hitting earth I guess.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

AV-Comparatives is able to acquire 200 to 250 live new malware URLS's per month. There are over 6 billion websites and over 2 billion mobile devices. So how big is the chance of (1) running into malwre AND (2) your AntiVirus misses it? Less than a meteorite hitting earth I guess.

Are you implying AVC could ONLY obtain 200-250 live malware URL's a month? I think it's more likely that's where they simply stopped after acquiring that many. Fortinet sees many thousands of threats a day in some cases. Your chance of being infected by 'something' is pretty astronomically high these days to be totally honest.

My home network, used by 5 people on average, with about 40 devices stops roughly a dozen websites a day for phishing, exploits, malware, redirects, cross scripts and other crap.. The difference between my network and yours is, I KNOW what is stopped and have technologies to stop it(and or log it) you don't. Lack of awareness doesn't portray the reality, it accentuates a fantasy or uninformed belief.

To be honest, I am of the opinion there are more threats and those threats are more sophisticated and are often escaping detection. In some cases those threats exist and attack, but don't find a vector to hit or specific protocols in use so the average joe doesn't even realize they were hit.

Our tech team pulled dozens of file-less threats and worms off Windows Defender protected machines this week already, WD was quietly and blissfully unaware the entire machines were compromised.

the real world is not as bad as experts on security forums would like think we are

There is a reason they're called experts, and others aren't.... This is like saying fewer people get sick than doctors say get sick. Or that less cars break down than mechanics tell you...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.