Off-Topic NEW Stunning Web Pictures Gallery

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Prorootect, May 20, 2013.

1. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #501 Prorootect, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Thank you! It's good to put a few words under the picture, so we won't die too dumb...
    So thanks to your link, I answer you by that picture of another storm from another world, Jupiter:

Tempete sur Jupiter.jpg click only
    - Ha ha, very awesome, extreme! - 2017/12/02, so Today!
    Credit: NASA, JPL-Caltech, SwRI, MSSS; Processing: Gerald Eichstädt & Seán Doran
    Picture from: jack35.wordpress.com: L’image du jour : Une tempête sur Jupiter
    Home page (in French, sorry): Etrange et Insolite

Explanation: Some storms on Jupiter are quite complex. The swirling storm was captured at the end of last month by NASA's Juno probe in orbit around the largest planet on the solar system. The star image extends approximately 30,000 kilometres, making the storm system about as wide as the planet Earth. The disturbance rotates counterclockwise and shows a cloud pattern of light-coloured upwelling currents thought to be predominantly composed of ammonia ice. These light clouds are the highest and even throw discernible shadows to the right.
    Have a good weekend to everyone

Telos likes this.
  2. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    Remember Dian Fossey, who gave his life for the gorillas, being slaughtered by the poachers?

Wikipedia page about Dian Fossey: Dian Fossey - Wikipedia

gorilla_on nbcnews.com.jpg gorilla_on nbcnews.com.jpg 575x384

dian fossey gorilla fund cause coffee on cdn.nexternal.com.jpg
    dian fossey gorilla fund cause coffee from store.thanksgivingcoffee.com.jpg
    - so from store.thanksgivingcoffee.com: Coffee Benefiting the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund | Thanksgiving Coffee
    In September 1967, Dr. Dian Fossey established the Karisoke Research Center in Rwanda’s Virunga Mountains and set in motion one of the longest running-studies of any animal species anywhere in the world.
    The Fossey Fund’s environmental education activities are diverse and designed to reach students of different age groups, helping to build awareness, assist local educational institutions, and provide further training for those already working in conservation and education.
    Fossey Fund trackers provide daily protection for about 120 gorillas living in multiple groups, or about half of the mountain gorilla population in Rwanda.
    The country of Rwanda has faced many challenges, including a civil war in the 1990s, and still faces a great deal of poverty. However, the progress made toward development, infrastructure, education, and conservation has been substantial and continuous since then.
    Learn more at www.gorillafund.org

Mountain gorilla population grows - wwf.sg 3832x2377.jpg
    Mountain gorilla population grows - wwf.sg 3832x2377.jpg
    Mountain gorilla population grows : Mountain gorilla population grows

silverback - The Difference Between Mental and Physical Toughness 800x553.jpg
    silverback - The Difference Between Mental and Physical Toughness 800x553.jpg - on google images, sorry

FosseyDian-Encounter 500x370.jpg
    FosseyDian-Encounter 500x370.jpg

BryanB likes this.
  3. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    silverback - The Difference Between Mental and Physical Toughness 800x553.jpg
    - so you hadn't found my gorillas yet?
    but what are you doing then?

BryanB likes this.
  4. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #504 Prorootect, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Found the source of silverback picture: it's from Bringing Back Manliness - Alpha Male - Be Legendary: Gorilla – silverback gorilla
    Too, good article from this website by Chad Howse: 100 Things A Real Man Doesn’t Do: Things a Real Man Doesn't Do
    ...then this nice picture of wolf:
    upload_2017-12-6_22-13-34.jpeg

...and another silverback gorilla:

Silverback blue 950x516.png
    - from imgur.com gallery: Silverback Gorilla vs. Grizzy Bear - I've scaled to 950x516
    WESTERN LOWLAND GORILLA (Male, Silverback) Classification: Herbivore w/ Omnivore Traits Height: 5'11 (standing upright) Weight: 400lbs Body Fat: 25% Bite Force: 1,300 PSI Canine Length: Up to 2 Inches Arm Span: 8 Feet Top Speed: 25 mph

BryanB likes this.
  5. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #505 Prorootect, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Things You Never See

An HDR Aurora image from Hafravatn lake, Iceland.jpg
    An HDR Aurora Borealis image from Hafravatn lake, Iceland.jpg 1040x707
    Source: Photographing Northern Lights – Aurora Borealis: Photographing Northern Lights – Aurora Borealis

Things You Never See - YouTube

by Maciej Winiarczyk
    Most of the footage shot in Caithness in north of Scotland, only few sequences shot in Iceland. This short movie summarises 2 years of my night sky shooting.
    I hope you will enjoy it, especially if you live in light polluted areas where most detail of the night sky is washed out.

Night of the Northern Lights - YouTube

by Maciej Winiarczyk
    On 25th February 2014 Sun produced X4.9 flare which on 27th February caused G2 (KP 6) geomagnetic storm on Earth. It was the brightest aurora display so far during this solar maximum which I could witness with auroral displays overhead in the far north of Scotland. This short movie illustrates what has been seen from latitude 58.3 degrees north.
    Here is a link to the music used, as many of you asked about it http://www.pond5.com/stock-music/1070...

Relax Music & Stunning Aurora Borealis - Northern Polar Lights - 2 Hours - HD 1080P - YouTube

Relaxing music and Beautiful Aurora Borealis. Helps Relax & Fall Asleep FAST!
    The Aurora is an incredible light show caused by collisions between electrically charged particles released from the sun that enter the earth's atmosphere and collide with gases such as oxygen and nitrogen. The lights are seen around the magnetic poles of the northern and southern hemispheres.

BryanB likes this.
  6. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    buffalo hunters.png
    buffalo hunters.png - from Capitalist Creations interesting article:
    This Kills Startups Every Day
    Over the last several months, I’ve been spending an unusual amount of time in Silicon Valley. Two or sometimes three trips a month – starting to feel like a second home. On some of those trips, I’ve been fortunate enough to meet with very successful venture capitalists and tech investors; and I’ve learned a ton.

What I Learned from One of Tesla’s Seed Investors

One of my recent meetings with a talented VC provided an another educational moment – a rare meeting when you leave lunch a smarter man. This venture capitalist explained a valuable tidbit I want to share – it serves as a great reminder of something we likely know in our subconscious, but probably overlooked in the fog of our busyness.
    For some context, this VC was one of the early investors in Tesla over a decade ago. He hosted a party at his home in the Valley for the founders of Tesla when they were looking for Series A capital. And at that party, each guest was offered a ride in Tesla’s prototype – at the time a very crude model and the inspiration for the Model S. In the end, that quasi-house party provided Tesla with a good chunk of its Series A funding.

N.B. Tesla’s Series A stock was worth about $0.50 per share. Today, its shares trade for nearly $350!

Humble and insanely successful, this guy doesn’t talk about his massive wins and rarely name drops his network and friends, the likes of which include Elon Musk and many other famous entrepreneurs. He is willing to share his insight and knowledge with a fellow entrepreneur (you’d be surprised how many VCs are guarded and almost paranoid about sharing lessons learned). In short, he’s just a solid guy with an eye for innovative ideas and concepts.

At our lunch meeting, he explained that he never invests in a company without meeting the entire management team at the same time (CFO, CEO, CTO and so forth). Aside from the obvious (we all know the greatest asset a startup has is its management), he told me two very unique reasons for meeting with the whole management team simultaneously:
    It allows him to probe for potential team turmoil, egos and internal strifes. He shared many of his tactics to get the answers which I’ll pass on in another blog entry.
    And two, which is the purpose of this entry on a beautiful summer Sunday evening…
    Because he invests in technologies with more than one application, he likes to prod management and gauges their focus level on what’s immediately in front of them. He wants to know if they have the ability to take one step at a time.
    After investing in hundreds of startups, the likes of which include the now most famous car company in the world, he believes emerging tech companies die from indigestion, not starvation.
    In his words “Dilution of focus kills more companies than debt.”
    Can’t argue that.

We’re all working on our big idea – a concept that’ll completely transform our niches. But to accomplish the massive mission, we must be acutely focused on what it will take to get there – the little things. The daily routine, the small, progressive goals that allow us to keep moving forward. We can’t afford to get distracted based on another, possibly unrelated matter: the success of a competitor, a new opportunity, or chasing a fad. We must be disciplined with our time and thoughts.

Entrepreneurs can’t be buffalo hunters one day and then all of a sudden, because a new trend emerges, become fishermen. Stay focused on your entrepreneurial mission or be prepared to languish.

Entrepreneurship is a grind. It rewards those who persevere.

Stay hungry,
    Aaron Hoddinott

AtlBo, Faybert and BryanB like this.
  7. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #507 Prorootect, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Mesmerizing Macro Photos of Cats’ Eyes by Andrew Marttila
    Mesmerizing Macro Photos of Cats' Eyes by Andrew Marttila - By Jenny Zhang - On mymodernmet.com

[​IMG]

Philadelphia-based photographer and self-described “crazy cat man” Andrew Marttila specializes in capturing beautifully expressive portraits of adorable felines. His latest work includes a series of macro shots that zoom in on cats' eyes, showing every minute detail of the creature's colorful iris and slitted pupil. Ranging in hue from mottled gold to ice blue to emerald green, each cat's eye is a mesmerizing reflection of the fierce and magnetic personalities of our feline overlords.

Despite being allergic to cats and dogs since birth, Marttila decided to overcome his allergy at the age of 22 by building up an immunity through exposure to larger animals. Since then, his love and adoration for furry friends has led to a career as a pet photographer. Although he's only been taking pictures for a few years, Marttila has already been able to do photo shoots with celebrity cats like Lil Bub, Pudge, and Grumpy Cat. When he's not working with clients, he's busy photographing his own sweet Bengal cat, Haroun, who has become a star in his own right thanks to Marttila's popular Instagram feed.

Above: Oberon

[​IMG] Husker

[​IMG] Shoyu

[​IMG] Aja

... look on more photos on the website...

Andrew Marttila: Website | Facebook | Instagram
    My Modern Met granted permission to use photos by Andrew Marttila.

[​IMG]
    - photo by Andrew Marttila

AtlBo, Faybert and BryanB like this.
  8. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #508 Prorootect, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    The Sun Is Going DARK: No Sunspots For 96 Days; Ice Age Approaches
    The Sun Is Going DARK: No Sunspots For 96 Days; Ice Age Approaches – GOV'T SLAVES

NASA’s own data is showing that the star our globe revolves around is dimming. With no sunspots reported in 96 days, the sun is going dark and the evidence could point to an approaching ice age.
    As the sun gets successively more blank with each day, due to lack of sunspots, it is also dimming, says the website Watts Up With That? According to data from NASA’s Spaceweather, so far in 2017, 96 days (27%) of the days observing the sun have been without sunspots.
    The Daily Sheeple’s Joe Joseph breaks it down for those who don’t closely follow the sun’s changes. He says there is a correlation between major changes on the sun and the behavior of the Earth, especially now as it reaches its 11-year-cycle’s solar minimum....
    “I guess you could say, in a very generalistic sense…and I mean, this is as vanilla as you can possibly make it…that as the sun gets quieter so does our magnetic field get weaker or so it appears to be,” says Joseph. “Is there a mini ice age coming? I don’t know,” he said.
    But other sources say it’s more than possible that we will see a mini ice age in the next three years due to the dimming of our sun. A 15-YEAR long mini ice age could be due to hit the Northern hemisphere in just four years as the sun prepares for “hibernation” – triggering a barrage of cataclysmic events, says The Express UK in 2016. Solar activity, measured by the appearance of sun spots, has been declining at a greater rate than at any other time in history. And that could have widespread implications. ...

A team of
    experts have warned that huge seismic events, including volcanic eruptions, plunging global temperatures and destabilization of the Earth’s crust will become more common after worrying changes to the surface of the Sun were recorded. Research by the The Space and Science Research Center in Florida revealed a strong link between low solar activity and seismic events.

Scientists say that it could take up to 15 years for solar activity to return to normal with extreme weather and freezing temperatures continuing until 2035. This warning will infuriate environmental campaigners who argue by 2030 the world faces increased sea levels and flooding due to glacial melt at the poles and a warming of the globe.

The sun is blank, NASA data shows it to be dimming

The sun is blank, NASA data shows it to be dimming

As the sun gets successively more blank with each day, due to lack of sunspots, it is also dimming. According to data from NASA’s Spaceweather, so far in 2017, 96 days (27%) of the days observing the sun have been without sunspots. Here is the view today from the NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory satellite:

latest_1024_0193.jpg
    Sun Source image: sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/latest_1024_0193.jpg
    Direct link of this Sun Today image: https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/latest_1024_0193.jpg
    - On Solar Dynamics Observatory HMI Continuum
    - from wattsupwiththat.com: Solar Page
    SDO | Data: sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/: SDO | Solar Dynamics Observatory
    ---> to follow the development of the Sun condition every day...

AtlBo, ElectricSheep and BryanB like this.
  9. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #509 Prorootect, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Rare Colorful, Yet Dangerous Polar Stratospheric Clouds Spotted Over Norway
    These beautiful images of polar stratospheric clouds were taken over Tromso City in Norway. While the clouds look amazing, they can be potentially quite dangerous to our planet. They destroy the Earth's ozone...
    Short video on nbcnews.com: Rare Colorful, Yet Dangerous Polar Stratospheric Clouds Spotted Over Norway

Little read on atoptics.co.uk: Nacreous clouds - Atmospheric Optics
    Nacreous clouds, sometimes called mother-of-pearl clouds, are rare but once seen are never forgotten. They are mostly visible within two hours after sunset or before dawn when they blaze unbelievably bright with vivid and slowly shifting iridescent colours. They are filmy sheets slowly curling and uncurling, stretching and contracting in the semi-dark sky. Compared with dark scudding low altitude clouds that might be present, nacreous clouds stand majestically in almost the same place - an indicator of their great height.
    They need the very frigid regions of the lower stratosphere some 15 - 25 km (9 -16 mile) high and well above tropospheric clouds. They are so bright after sunset and before dawn because at those heights they are still sunlit.
    They are seen mostly during winter at high latitudes like Scandinavia, Iceland, Alaska and Northern Canada. Sometimes, however, they occur as far south as England. They can be less rare downwind of mountain ranges. Elsewhere their appearance is often associated with severe tropospheric winds and storms.
    Nacreous or ordinary iridescent clouds? Lower level iridescent clouds in the troposphere are far more common and are seen all over the world. Nacreous clouds far outshine them and have much more vivid colours. The differences are highlighted on this page.

Some images on this page: Optics Picture of the Day: OPOD - Nacreous Clouds

Found other beautiful pictures:
    tumblr_mihygc4UKO1qa944oo1_500 saturated, scaled to 1280x913.jpg
    tumblr_mihygc4UKO1qa944oo1_500 saturated, scaled to 1280x913.jpg

polar-stratospheric-cloud_1 - fatgeo.com.jpg polar-stratospheric-cloud_1 - fatgeo.com 2048x1374.jpg

Cloud Formation - Iridescent Sky by Robert Koch - pixdaus.com - scaled to 1280x853.jpg Cloud Formation - Iridescent Sky by Robert Koch - pixdaus.com - scaled to 1280x853.jpg

Latest image are from pixdaus.com: Cloud Formation - with this comment:
    "Iridescent Sky by Robert Koch This very cool shot was captured in Southern California, not far from Vandenburg Air Force Base. A Minotaur rocket had launched just about an hour before the photo was taken, leaving behind a very photogenic plume of smoke. The contrail shows amazing rainbow-colored flashes picked up from the setting sun, even though it was captured at night. This usually happens when clouds are high in the upper atmosphere; they reflect sunlight while the lower clouds appear dark, resulting in a lustrous iridescent sky."
    - another image dimension 1280x720 pixels: on chemprotectspray.com: http://www.chemprotectspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/chemtrail5.jpg - 1280x720 pixels

- do you like this, all these very photogenic clouds?...

AtlBo, ElectricSheep and BryanB like this.
  10. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #510 Prorootect, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    The 2017 International Earth & Sky Photo Contest Winners
    Selected from images taken in 65 countries and territories (during 2016-17), the winners of the 8th Earth & Sky Photo Contest highlight beauties of the night sky and its battle with light pollution.
    - on twanight.org : The 2017 International Earth & Sky Photo Contest Winners
    A stunning collection of nightscape photos (...) are selected as the winners and honorable mention photos of the 8th International Earth & Sky Photo Contest. The contest was open to anyone of any age, anywhere in the world; to both professional and amateur/hobby photographers. Organized since 2009 by The World at Night (TWAN), the contest is a collaboration with the National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO) and Global Astronomy Month, a program of Astronomers Without Borders (AWB). The contest public message is to preserve last remaining natural night environments and night skies in the world, supporting efforts by the International Dark Sky Association (IDA) and other organizations in the field.
    The Annual TWAN contest continues to attract a large number of entries. This year more than 1000 images were selected for judging in eight categories and sub-categories by nine experienced judges from a variety of backgrounds. The judging process was lengthy and exacting, and we are confident that the images we have selected represent some of the finest night-time landscape photography anywhere. The winning images were chosen on their aesthetic merit and technical excellence, and we believe they accurately reflect the state of the art in TWAN-style photography. The competition encourages photographers with imagination to push their cameras to their technical limits, and to produce eye-catching images that appear perfectly natural and are aesthetically pleasing.

"The sky above us is an essential part of our nature, a heritage for us and other species on this planet. The contest main goal is to present the night sky in this broader context that helps preserving the natural night sky by reconnect it with our modern life." says TWAN founder Babak Tafreshi.

... sound track is beautiful!
    - sound track artists: Ali Raini & Max Noizefield soundcloud.com/apoplexymusic

My first choice image:

- by: Yuri Zvezdny from Russia, with his wide panorama of the Milky Way and Magellanic Clouds over National Park Torres Del Paine in Chile. "To take this picture I had to risk my life and climb the steep slope. I was ready for this for the sake of a dream. Rising moon illuminates the landscape. Zodiacal light shine above the mountains. Bright Milky Way, Magellanic Clouds, emerald lagoon, thousands of stars, constant rockfalls and loneliness in the darkness... unforgettable night." says Zvezdny. The panoramic view titled "Starry night in Torres del Paine" was constructed from single identical exposures.
    6112-1BM2.jpg

Faybert, AtlBo, ElectricSheep and 3 others like this.
  11. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #511 Prorootect, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Grand Canyon Sunrise and Sunset Panoramas

A sunrise from Point Imperial - North Rim Grand Canyon Mike Koopsen cetusnews.com 700x525.jpg
    A sunrise from Point Imperial - North Rim Grand Canyon Mike Koopsen cetusnews.com 700x525.jpg

grand-canyon-sunset adam schallau pinterest.com 900x642.jpg

grand-canyon-sunset adam schallau pinterest.com 900x642.jpg

Grand Canyon panorama view in winterby Adam Schallau pinterest.com sharp 950x678.jpg
    Grand Canyon panorama view in winterby Adam Schallau pinterest.com sharp 950x678.jpg

Point Imperial - North Rim Grand Canyon  by ernogy - flickr.jpg Point Imperial - North Rim Grand Canyon by ernogy - flickr.jpg

Mike Koopsen on mikekoopsen.com: Mike Koopsen
    Adam Schallau Photography: on adamschallau.com: Home
    ernogy photos on hiveminer.com: The World's Best Photos by ernogy - Flickr Hive Mind

12. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    Here you have your UFO!
    Stunningly beautiful jellyfish!

- unearthed in Mariana Trench ... 11034 meters = 36200.787 feet

- deepest Ocean Trench...

Watch on YouTube: NOAA live April 24 Stunningly beautiful jellyfish!:

On technology.inquirer.net: NOAA live April 24 Stunningly beautiful jellyfish!

For scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) , it was like seeing an ‘alien’ descend into the ocean’s ‘Bikini Bottom’.
    While on an exploration aboard the agency’s sea vessel “Okeanos Explorer”, they detected a colorful jellyfish species gliding around the Challenger Deep, the lowest point at the Marianas Trench.
    The hydromedusa jellyfish was found at a depth of nearly 12,000 feet (3.7 kilometers) below the ocean’s surface and is located between the Philippines and Japan.
    The jellyfish, which was named “Microsoft Paint” due to its cartoon-like structure and resemblance to a drawing on the computer software Microsoft Paint, was breathtakingly captured by NOAA’s remotely operating vehicle under the deep blue sea.

According to news site Techtimes, the alluring sea creature is a member of the genus Crossota and is an ambush predator. It has long and slender tentacles that act like a spider web by entrapping tiny creatures. The flashing neon yellow colors of the creature’s translucent jelly pinpoint the location of its gonads.
    For years, scientists pioneered enhanced research beneath the 1,500-mile-long(2,400 km) Marianas Trench, and this marvelous discovery verifies that a colossal region of the earth’s oceanic crust is uninhabited and unexplored. Gianna Francesca Catolico

Read more: WATCH: ‘UFO’ jellyfish unearthed in Marianas Trench

Mariana Trench 11034 meters resized sharpen 950x739.jpg
    Mariana Trench 11034 meters resized sharpen 950x739.jpg

Jellyfish of the Mariana Trench - Image Source Ocean Explorer - crop resized sharpen 950x673.jpg Jellyfish of the Mariana Trench - Image Source Ocean Explorer - crop resized sharpen 950x673.jpg image from interestingengineering.com

Jellyfish of the Mariana Trench - unusual new species.jpg
    Jellyfish of the Mariana Trench - unusual new species.jpg image from interestingengineering.com

interestingengineering.com article: New Species of Reflective Jellyfish Discovered in Marianas Trench

Top of the top, sure

AtlBo likes this.
  13. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #513 Prorootect, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Then, following too the jellyfish photos from the precedent post - and page #10...

Deep sea scientists capture footage of "googly eyed" purple squid (Video): on treehugger.com: Deep sea scientists capture footage of "googly eyed" purple squid (Video)

Russia Pacifica Googly-eyed Stubby Squid - sharpen saturated crop 500x500.jpg
    Russia Pacifica Googly-eyed Stubby Squid - sharpen saturated crop 500x500.jpg

As you might guess, the ocean's murky depths hides plenty of surprises, from eerie jellyfish to deadly predator seahorses.
    Of course, you can also find some adorable curiosities too, as scientists from the E/V Nautilus, a high-tech 204-foot-long research vessel diving off the coast of California did when they chanced upon this wacky-looking creature with enormous, "googly eyes" resting upon the sea floor, 900 meters (2,950 feet) deep:
    In the video, the team discuss lightheartedly about this bright purple creature, saying that the disproportionately large eyes make it seem unreal: “It looks so fake. Like some little kid dropped their toy.”
    But in fact, it is a Rossia pacifica, or in common parlance, a so-called stubby squid that is lying in wait for prey:
    The stubby squid (Rossia pacifica) looks like a cross between an octopus and squid, but is more closely related to cuttlefish. This species spends life on the seafloor, activating a sticky mucus jacket and burrowing into the sediment to camouflage, leaving their eyes poking out to spot prey like shrimp and small fish. Rossia pacifica is found in the Northern Pacific from Japan to Southern California, most commonly seen up to 300m deep, but specimens have been collected at 1000m depth.
    The stubby squid isn't a large species by any means; in fact, it's pretty small, growing to a maximum of only 2 inches by 4.3 inches, and living on average up to two years before mating, laying their eggs in batches that attach to the bottom of rocks or onto seaweed, and then dying. A pretty poetic end for such a cartoonish-looking specimen, if you ask us.
    The E/V Nautilus research team continues its eye-opening exploration of the oceans, finding mysterious purple blobs and more with state-of-the-art technology; visit Nautilus Live to see what else they're discovering out there.
    see more on the website...

Here you have truly stunning jellyfish images by Kevin Raskoff:
    Hidden ocean 8 Marrus orthocanna Benthocodon hyalinus - Kevin Raskoff - Pinterest 960x960.jpg
    Hidden ocean 8 Marrus orthocanna Benthocodon hyalinus - Kevin Raskoff - Pinterest 960x960.jpg

Trachymedusa i.pinimg.com Pinterest 1280×1280.jpg
    Trachymedusa i.pinimg.com Pinterest Kevin Raskoff 1280×1280.jpg

More images of deep sea jellyfish on Pinterest: Pin by Julia Müller on UnderWater | Pinterest | Jellyfish, Jelly fish and Ocean

Treehugger.com/science page
    : Science : TreeHugger

Explore, explore...

AtlBo, harlan4096 and plat1098 like this.
  14. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #514 Prorootect, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Because we find ourselves well below the surface of the Ocean, then we continue quite naturally with Peacock mantis shrimp - which is the World First Animal with Sensor Earth Magnetic Field - so that it help us to better locate ourselves in the Ocean (look on .gif below):
    Peacock mantis shrimp on theoatmeal.com 398x398.jpg Peacock mantis shrimp on theoatmeal.com 398x398.jpg

This Animal May Be Tiny, but It Can Basically Punch You to Death

Peacock mantis shrimp - World_First_Animal_Sensor_Earth_Magnetic_Field_1 - hexapolis.com.jpg
    Peacock mantis shrimp - World_First_Animal_Sensor_Earth_Magnetic_Field_1 - hexapolis.com.jpg

Knockout!
    BAM! That energy is released so quickly that their prey doesn't stand a chance. The mantis shrimp's punch has the strength of a .22 caliber bullet.

[​IMG]

See more - on guff.com: This Animal May Be Tiny, but It Can Basically Punch You to Death - then click Next...

...and too on theoatmeal.com: WHY the Mantis Shrimp is my New Favorite Animal: Why the mantis shrimp is my new favorite animal - The Oatmeal - very comics....

AtlBo, harlan4096 and bribon77 like this.
  15. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    Every Black Hole Contains a New Universe
    A physicist presents a solution to present-day cosmic mysteries.
    On insidescience.org: Every Black Hole Contains a New Universe

By: Nikodem Poplawski

(ISM) -- Our universe may exist inside a black hole. This may sound strange, but it could actually be the best explanation of how the universe began, and what we observe today. It's a theory that has been explored over the past few decades by a small group of physicists including myself.

Successful as it is, there are notable unsolved questions with the standard big bang theory, which suggests that the universe began as a seemingly impossible "singularity," an infinitely small point containing an infinitely high concentration of matter, expanding in size to what we observe today. The theory of inflation, a super-fast expansion of space proposed in recent decades, fills in many important details, such as why slight lumps in the concentration of matter in the early universe coalesced into large celestial bodies such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

But these theories leave major questions unresolved. For example: What started the big bang? What caused inflation to end? What is the source of the mysterious dark energy that is apparently causing the universe to speed up its expansion?

The idea that our universe is entirely contained within a black hole provides answers to these problems and many more. It eliminates the notion of physically impossible singularities in our universe. And it draws upon two central theories in physics. ...
    ... read more at the website...

The Universe’s Most Extreme Black Holes: on wired.com: The Universe’s Most Extreme Black Holes
    Black holes, the great gravitational beasts left behind when stars collapse in a supernova, are some of the weirdest and most exotic objects in the universe. But even among these bizarre beasts, some black holes are weirder than others. The youngest black hole ever observed -- just 31 years old -- was announced today, but it's just the latest in a long line of black hole superlatives.
    1417x1080.jpg
    Supernova SN1979C in the galaxy M100 - the youngest known black hole by Chandra on haaretz.co.il - 1417x1080.jpg

The 31-year-old remains of supernova SN 1979c make up the youngest known black hole.

This supernova in the galaxy M100 approximately 50 million light-years from Earth, was discovered by an amateur astronomer in 1979. The star that exploded that year was just on the edge of the theoretical mass limit for forming black holes, about 20 times the mass of the sun. After the supernova, the leftover matter could either have collapsed into a black hole or an extremely dense neutron star.

New observations from the Chandra X-ray Observatory seem to clinch it in favor of the black hole, astronomers announced today. As material falls in to a black hole, it heats up to millions of degrees and spews X-rays. If the object that was SN 1979c was a neutron star, the brightness of the X-rays it emits would tail off with time. But if it was a black hole, the X-rays would stay nearly as bright as the black hole gobbled new material.

Observations show that SN1979c blasted out X-rays at a constant brightness level between 1995 and 2007, definitely tilting the odds in favor of a black hole -- although the object could still be a rapidly spinning neutron star with a powerful wind of high energy particles.

Image: X-ray: NASA/CXC/SAO/D.Patnaude et al, Optical: ESO/VLT, Infrared: NASA/JPL/Caltech

AtlBo, ElectricSheep and harlan4096 like this.
  16. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #516 Prorootect, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Photographer spends two years taking pictures of animals that could disappear because of us: on indy100.com: Photographer spends two years taking pictures of animals that could disappear because of us

A London-based photographer has spent two years travelling to some of the most remote habitats in the world to capture the world's endangered species before they disappear for good.
    Tim Flach, who has published his stunning and deeply powerful images in his book Endangered, documents the challenges these animals face, all because of the human race
    The project explores the plight of threatened species affected by deforestation, hunting and poaching.

Flach says:
    I wanted an array of endangered species which represented various aspects, some better and some lesser known.
    Here are just a few of the images from Endangered.

Saiga Antelope
    International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN )Red List: Critically endangered

"Here's the magnificent Saiga, who is relatively unknown and would probably feel at home in the cantina in Star Wars."
    Flach said he pursued the Saiga in the area around the Caspian Sea during summer. He waited in a hideout close to where they go for water but says the summer temperatures distorted his photos. He added:
    "So we went back in the winter when it was -30C and I was lying down on the ground in camouflage for three days using the longest possible lens, and finally got the shot."
    saiga.jpg
    saiga.jpg

Bengal tiger
    IUCN Red List: Endangered

The numbers of Bengal tigers decreased as a result of the loss of their habitat across India. Today, over 50 tiger reserves take care of the remaining 2,500 individuals.
    bengal-tiger-copy.jpg
    bengal-tiger-copy.jpg

All Pictures: © Tim Flach, from Endangered by Tim Flach

- I dare to add this wonderful picture found on the web:eek:n pixabay.com: Silverback - Free pictures on Pixabay - from Pixel-mixer user: Pixel-mixer | Pixabay
    Harambe gorilla masculine pixabay.com by pixel-mixer sharp normalized 960x638.jpg
    Harambe gorilla masculine pixabay.com by pixel-mixer sharp normalized 960x638.jpg - Harambe, the gorilla murdered...
    - gorillas are Very Endangered...

AtlBo, DeepWeb and harlan4096 like this.
  17. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    Harambe was Heroic - RIP

Primate-behavior experts agree that Harambe's intention was protective and not aggressive:

Professor Emily Bethell (primate behaviorist): "He was clearly being protective towards the boy. There were no signs of the gorilla being aggressive in the sense that he wanted to hurt the boy or anything like that. The biggest threat to the boy I would say is obviously when the gorilla moved and dragged him, that could have caused some harm, but the gorilla’s body language is definitely protective." [1]

Professor Gisela Kaplan (primate behaviorist): "I can tell you silverbacks are protectors of their group. If there’s an unusual thing happening, (Harambe) needs to investigate. The fact that he went over to the child is absolutely natural behaviour but it doesn't mean he was aggressive. If he was going to attack he would’ve warned him first. The first thing they do is charge and beat their chests and as far as I know that didn’t happen." [2]

Professor Frans De Waal (primatologist): "Seeing more of the videos, I got the impression that Harambe was mostly protective. He showed a combination of protection and confusion. He stood over the child, held him up, moved/dragged him through the water (at least once very roughly), stood over him again. Much of his reaction may have been triggered by public noise and yelling. There was no moment of acute aggression, as also admitted by the zoo director. If the gorilla had wanted to kill the child, one bang of his fist would have done it. People have no idea of their superhuman strength. Yet, he didn’t perform any killing move. I should also clarify, since people on Facebook have said that gorillas are dangerous predators, that this is entirely wrong. A gorilla doesn’t look at a human child as something edible. [...] The one thing that reliably makes a gorilla male mad is another male who enters his territory or gets too close to his females and young. Harambe surely knew that he was not dealing with competition, hence had no reason to attack." [3]

Richard Johnstone-Scott (gorilla keeper for 46 years): "It looked quite scary. But I understand that he was actually pulling the child away from where the people who were shouting and screaming out of concern for the little chap, he pulled him away from that area. And then when he stopped, it seems to me that he helped the boy to his feet, which was quite amazing. From what I can see on that film, I don’t think that Harambe meant to hurt that child. If he had intended to hurt that child it would’ve been over in seconds. It would’ve been wham, bang, and that would be the end of it." [4]
    Gorilla Harambe Shot and Killed Today at the Cincinnati Zoo

AtlBo likes this.
  18. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #518 Prorootect, Jan 12, 2018 at 4:18 PM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    Harambe - I was only trying to protect the boy! sharp 700x653.jpg Harambe - I was only trying to protect the boy! sharp 700x653.jpg

We need to remember Harambe.jpg We need to remember Harambe.jpg
    Humans are not the only beings on Earth which possess the ability to express love and emotion...

AtlBo likes this.
  19. ElectricSheep

ElectricSheep Level 12

Aug 31, 2014
    Professional Woolly Jumper
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG]

Discovered with the PanSTARRS telescope on September 7, 2016, this Comet PanSTARRS, C/2016 R2, is presently about 24 light minutes (3 AU) from the Sun, sweeping through planetEarth's skies across the background of stars in the constellation Taurus. An inbound visitor from our Solar System's distant Oort Cloud, its beautiful and complex ion tail is a remarkable shade of blue. Still relatively far from the Sun, the comet's already well-developed ion tail is very impressive. Emission from unusually abundant ionized carbon monoxide (CO+) molecules fluorescing in the increasing sunlight is largely responsible for the pretty blue tint. This color image of the blue comet is a combination of data taken from two different telescopes during the night of January 7. Located at the apex of the V-shaped Hyades star cluster in Taurus, bright star Gamma Tauri is responsible for the glow at the bottom left corner of the frame.

APOD: 2018 January 12 - Blue Comet PanSTARRS

20. Prorootect

Prorootect Level 46

Nov 5, 2011
    0wN3D by my cat!
    #520 Prorootect, Jan 13, 2018 at 9:41 AM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    BREAKING PHOTOS: NASA Finds Water and Ice Sheets All Over Mars!
    : on truthfeednews.com: BREAKING PHOTOS: NASA Finds Water and Ice Sheets All Over Mars!
    By truthfeednews January 12, 2018
    mars-ice-water - news.nationalgeographic.com.jpg
    mars-ice-water - news.nationalgeographic.com.jpg
    Eroded banks throughout Mars's mid-latitudes reveal underground bands of bluish material. Spectra of these layers—which start three to six feet beneath the surface—strongly suggest that they are made of water ice.
    Photograph by NASA, JPL-Caltech, University of Arizona

Social media is buzzing over NASA’s breakthrough discovery of easy accessible water on the planet Mars.

#Space: huge #water reserves found all over #Mars – new #NASA images show #layers of #ice peeking out of #eroded #cliffs
    Huge Water Reserves Found All Over Mars via @NatGeo pic.twitter.com/fclh7GCMVD

— Maxime Duprez (@maximaxoo) January 12, 2018

Massive water ice sheets discovered on #Mars: Exposed subsurface ice sheets in the Martian mid-latitudes. Using data from @NASA's MRO & Mars Odyssey, scientists discovered cliffs composed mostly of water ice, which is slowly sublimating as it is exposed to the atmosphere. @TIME story: Scientists Discover Massive Ice Sheets on Mars. pic.twitter.com/wGMdtNOtEV

— NASA's MAVEN Mission (@MAVEN2Mars) January 12, 2018Future astronauts: @NASA identified eight icy places on #Mars where you can get all the water you need. BYO bucket & shovel. News | Steep Slopes on Mars Reveal Structure of Buried Ice pic.twitter.com/LE272hZunG

— Curiosity Rover (@MarsCuriosity) January 11, 2018

From Engadget
    NASA and private companies like SpaceX are busy planning Mars missions, but only have a vague idea of how they’re going to find critical water supplies. Now, using the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO), researchers have discovered abundant, easy-to-access H20. A survey found no less than eight sites where cliff erosion has exposed thick deposits of nearly pure ice that lie just three to six feet below rock and dust. The findings mean that future missions, both manned and robotic, may have an easier time than expected digging up water for drinking and making rocket fuel.
    As reported in the journal Science (paywall), the water was found in both the north and south of Mars, at latitudes equivalent to South America and Scotland. The exposed areas were found on scarps as steep as 55 degrees. Based on the absence of craters in the regions, scientists believe that the features formed relatively recently.
    “The discovery reported today gives us surprising windows where we can see right into these thick underground sheets of ice,” study co-author Shane Byrne of the University of Arizona told NASA. “It’s like having one of those ant farms where you can see through the glass on the side to learn about what’s usually hidden beneath the ground.”
    Researchers found the scarp sites by gauging colors using the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on the MRO, and confirmed its purity using CRISM (Compact Reconnaissance Imaging spectrometer for Mars). The orbiter has previously found extensive ice sheets at other locations on Mars using its Shallow Radar camera, but it was impossible to say how deep it was. Now, scientists know that it’s close enough to access with relative ease.

PS.;)
    But I was the first one! to show you the water on Mars, in this famous photo in the post #9 from Ocober 2, 2013, on the first topic's page - link here: NEW Stunning Web Pictures Gallery
    - yes this image: Mars by Curiosity - PIA16550 Layered Martian Outcrop 'Shaler' whitebalanced - cropped enhanced denoised 935x935.jpg

AtlBo likes this.