Not open for further replies.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Some months ago, Techbeat (among other sources) reported that a new USB cable was being designed and would be finalized soon. Well, it turns out that that USB cable, dubbed USB Type-C, has now been finalized. It seems many people in the past had had trouble plugging in the cables and trying to figure out which way to turn them so they’d fit properly into their computer port(s).

That will no longer be a problem, as the USB Type-C cables are completely reversible, much like the current Lightning cables which Apple uses. They’ll be close to the size of current micro-USB chargers, and will transfer data at 10 gigabits a second. While this sounds like great news (and it is great news), it also comes with a pretty big problem.

RƎDSPYGENTLEMEN

Level 2
Verified
Aug 14, 2014
THIS IS INCREDIBLE. But most computers don't have it and I reckon game consoles (XBOX, PS4, WII U) won't accept it any time soon.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Great news .. I like the concept that "the USB Type-C cables are completely reversible".

THIS IS INCREDIBLE. But most computers don't have it and I reckon game consoles (XBOX, PS4, WII U) won't accept it any time soon.

I am sure converter from old USB to new USB will be available. SO that won't be much problem.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
In some ways I'm quite excited but having read through the technical specs, I'm also quite reserved. I can't see this achieving 10GB/s in real world applications, 6GB/s or 7GB/s maybe (depends on a number of factors which will vary by manufacturer and by usage), I could well be proven wrong (and I hope I am) :p.

The new standard does support the original power profiles so a converter should be simple to produce and fairly cheap so some good news there at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.