Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Microsoft is pushing KB3075249 and KB3080149 updates for Windows 7/8/8.1 users which can spy on you

Windows 10 has been launched and already installed by more than 50 million users worldwide. It is now a known fact that Windows 10 user data is being reported back to Microsoft servers back in Redmond. The jury is still out whether this a good or bad practice but many of Windows 10 Apps like Cortana depend on getting your preferences correct to serve you better.

This being the case, many Windows users who are not happy with Windows 10 spying ways and have preferred to stay on with Windows 7/Windows 8 and Window 8.1 as the case might be. For these Windows 7/8/8.1 users there are a few updates which Microsoft has been pushing through last few days.

Namely, KB3075249 and KB3080149, if installed are known to report your data back to Microsoft servers.

Full Article

H

hjlbx

Microsoft is pushing KB3075249 and KB3080149 updates for Windows 7/8/8.1 users which can spy on you

Windows 10 has been launched and already installed by more than 50 million users worldwide. It is now a known fact that Windows 10 user data is being reported back to Microsoft servers back in Redmond. The jury is still out whether this a good or bad practice but many of Windows 10 Apps like Cortana depend on getting your preferences correct to serve you better.

This being the case, many Windows users who are not happy with Windows 10 spying ways and have preferred to stay on with Windows 7/Windows 8 and Window 8.1 as the case might be. For these Windows 7/8/8.1 users there are a few updates which Microsoft has been pushing through last few days.

Namely, KB3075249 and KB3080149, if installed are known to report your data back to Microsoft servers.

Full Article

Good grief... just use NoVirusThanks Smart Object Blocker, VooDooShield, or other policy restricting softs like Bouncer or StripMyRights to block the executables and their respective dlls. Blocking telemetry should be possible without messing up entire system; if it installs a service, then disable it via Run services.msc .

For W8.1...

Appinfo.dll
consent.exe

Tdh.dll
Diagtrack.dll
Telemetry.asm-windowsdefault.json
Utc.app.json

For W7, well, the list is massive... see here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080149

and

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3075249

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
that's why I don't update my system. install net framework and thats it
What a great idea! Are you driving your car without seat belt because they are uncomfortable or take one second to fasten too? :rolleyes:
I always like how they call telemetry spying, yeah the NSA is very interested in your app crashes, sfc bugs or UAC requests...
Has anybody even read the knowledge base articles about the updates?
Such spyware! :p

S

Smith83

that's why I don't update my system. install net framework and thats it
I am currently running the same install for 6 years on a windows 7 machine, only service pack one installed, no issues EVER!! No problems running games...... etc no updates no problems. This machine is still as fast as the day I formatted it. When you begin installing updates you begin having issues.....

Also no antivirus installed only an aftermarket firewall and common sense are what is needed, also I do regular back ups. Nothing more is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: done

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Some Antivirus with default "Públic Network selected" Blocks a lot of files from outgoing traffic. SearchUI.exe being the most common, I have mine blocked and my search on start works just fine.

What can Microsoft do with your data that is so bad anyway? I really don't get the paranoia, maybe someone can explain why they are so afraid?

I think it's not related to the present itself, but in hands of future; massive data collection will work great when a citizen whos value for any gob was 0 suddenly becomes top value, then; any data collected from him for using any device with such privacy concerns will help a lot. This way, they can shape control the way they want.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
What a great idea! Are you driving your car without seat belt because they are uncomfortable or take one second to fasten too? :rolleyes:
I always like how they call telemetry spying, yeah the NSA is very interested in your app crashes, sfc bugs or UAC requests...
Has anybody even read the knowledge base articles about the updates?
Such spyware! :p
I have to agree with this.There is so much needless paranoia over all this so called spying on you when I really think it is just to better the modern services offered by newer operating systems.IMO you have a better chance of being "spied" on if you are on all these social media sites and programs.I would be more concerned about them than Microsoft wasting it's resources seeing what you are doing.
The seat belt analogy is spot on.Important updates are for the security of the OS.The problems start with the optional hardware updates when it is best do download these form the manufacturer.Don't install the optional updates but it is not sound advice to not update the OS.

*The seat belt analogy is just that an analogy! We do not need off topic commentary as to why seat belts are required by law as this has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
What can Microsoft do with your data that is so bad anyway? I really don't get the paranoia, maybe someone can explain to me why they are so afraid?

Privacy advocates and post Snowden listeners are often asked this question in regards with <company> collecting/using your data.

Nothing to hide argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Replace 'government surveillance' in this case with Microsoft which got involved with PRISM hence is also why many have trust issues.

And a good handful of websites have articles on this: nothing to hide argument - Google Search

There's many factors involved in the end, there will always be paranoia, others are just tired of everything trying to harvest data.

Privacy sensitive EULA/TOS are more common (Windows 10 and recently Spotify) and more applications/services calling home when they don't need to be in some cases. Many were told that the keylogging/telemetry abilities of Windows 10 Technical Previews would be disabled in the final release only to see it wasn't and now the same telemetry technology is being pushed down to Windows 7/8.1 users.

Even when you turn on Win 10's "privacy" flags, it still spies on you

Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can’t stop talking to Microsoft

Microsoft won’t tell you what its Windows 10 updates do:

Microsoft will explain only 'significant' Windows 10 updates

In the end the only real way to gain privacy on the internet is to just not use it, No-Log EU situated VPNs can only get you so far.

S

Smith83

Privacy advocates and post Snowden listeners are often asked this question in regards with <company> collecting/using your data.

Nothing to hide argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Replace 'government surveillance' in this case with Microsoft which was a PRISM member hence is also why many have trust issues.

And good handful of websites have articles on this: nothing to hide argument - Google Search

There's many factors involved in the end, there will always be paranoia, others are just tired of everything trying to harvest data.

Privacy sensitive EULA/TOS are more common (Windows 10 and recently Spotify) and more applications/services calling home when they don't need to be in some cases. Many were told that the keylogging/telemetry abilities of Windows 10 Technical Previews would be disabled in the final release only to see it wasn't and now the same telemetry technology is being pushed down to Windows 7/8.1 users.

Even when you turn on Win 10's "privacy" flags, it still spies on you

Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can’t stop talking to Microsoft
Microsoft won’t tell you what its Windows 10 updates do:

Microsoft will explain only 'significant' Windows 10 updates

In the end the only real way to gain privacy on the internet is too just not use it, No-Log EU situated VPNs can only get you so far.

Well Said.......!! I would like to donate all of my 356 likes to you sir!

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Next reason why Microsoft is terrible company and why is good upgrade to GNU/LINUX
1384921440772.jpg

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
More tracking is being done year by year mostly by using technology. Some years later this "spying" we all talk about today, will be nothing compared to what "they" will know about us. The same happens today compared to some years ago.
For this reason, there is no meaning blaming Microsoft/Facebook etc today for their tracking actions especially if we need and use computers, smartphones and other devices for vital activities.
Linux for example is not suitable for a professional that needs applications that can only work in commercial platforms like Windows. I also use Linux occasionally when I don't need windows exclusive apps. It's ok for a portion of home users but that's all.
The world is not ideal, everything has a cost.

If I can prevent Windows tracking my behavior today to some extent (eg by not installing those updates mentioned, avoiding Windows 10 etc), I won't be able to have this privacy in some years.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
I am currently running the same install for 6 years on a windows 7 machine, only service pack one installed, no issues EVER!! No problems running games...... etc no updates no problems. This machine is still as fast as the day I formatted it. When you begin installing updates you begin having issues.....

Also no antivirus installed only an aftermarket firewall and common sense are what is needed, also I do regular back ups. Nothing more is needed.
updates are good for business, they want people to be afraid so they will have to upgrade there operating system, otherwise no one will buy new operating system. I'm doing the same install what I need and thats it no more.

Reactions: Smith83
S

Smith83

Yep going on 6 years now and no issues, I will run out of HDD space before I run into a problem with my machine. Without updates windows is a solid OS!

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
On the subject of privacy, there is always two sides. One that is disgusted by this and says how horrible a company is while advocating his/her right for privacy. And another side that claims "if you don't have anything to hide, then don't worry".

But I do wonder would Microsoft keep wanting more data if it meant 'they' would be subjected to the same, and had to give their own private information to the users?

Remember
"And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them."

Reactions: done and Smith83

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
It makes sense to me that most of the guys who code Linux are just as concerned about privacy and independence as am I. That is one reason I switched over, and I then found that the performance and logic of the system is very appealing as well. Once people are a couple of years into Win10, they will be at MS's mercy, such as it is.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
For Win 10, there are several apps that claim to be win 10 spy blocker.
Is there any app that have pre-defined rules to block this kind of activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.