New Windows 7/8/8.1 updates spy on you just like Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
How much is true and how much is rumor? I'd like to uninstall these updates, but I'd like an in depth report on them before proceeding. Would any of them undo a critical security patch?

Reactions: done

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
Saw this one at The Hackernews.com. Just like to share here.

How to Stop Windows 7 and Windows 8 from Spying on You?

The bigger question for users who are uncomfortable with these changes is: How do I stop them?

The best way to prevent Windows 7 and 8 from tracking you is to not install the latest updates. Unlike Windows 10, Windows 7 and Windows 8 updates are not mandatory, so you can choose not to download the updates.

However, if you have already installed these updates on your computers, you can remove them completely from your systems and the operating system will not automatically reinstall them without your permission.

Go to Control Panel > View installed updates > Remove all the four updates.

If you want to eliminate these updates faster, you can launch a command prompt window with administrator privileges and then type in the following commands one by one:

CODE:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart

Once done, you can right-click on any updates shown by Windows Update and choose "Hide Update" to make sure that these updates won't be reinstalled in case you reboot your system.

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.