Tutorial NextDNS: a DoH/ DoT guide

As Lenny_Fox request a NextDNS guide with pictures, here we go - based on Your NextDNS settings thread.

First, info about NextDNS can be read at: official Website & GitHub

I use and recommend using their service in easiest way you can implement. For me that is on router level so i don't need any software on Clients.

Setup Webinterface:
setup.png
The red marked is the one i use in my Fritzbox router DNS settings. Also you should add both DNSv4 from right side ("DNS Servers") and DNSv6 from left side ("IPv6") into your router if for some reason the encrypted DNS has problems.
If that's done, take a look at top and if "All good!" is listed, your setup is finished! (y)

Now we will increase the setup to maximum protection
Security Webinterface:
security.png

Privacy Webinterface:
privacy.png

Parental Control Webinterface:
parental control.png

Denylist Webinterface:
denylist.png

Allowlist Webinterface:
allowlist.png

Settings Webinterface:
settings.png

Done!

Also don't forget to activate 2FA for your account!:
account.png

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 18
Verified
Oct 1, 2019
NextDNS is free, but I bought Adguard for desktop so must make it work harder.

Won't be using NextDNS anytime soon since its DoT is slower than Adguard DoT. Also, the YogaDNS (a front for NextDNS) doesn't support DoT
I had the same experience, initial page load of Next DNS is much slower than when using DNS of my ISP (Ziggo like Gandalf's)).

HarborFront

Level 57
Verified
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Adguard/NextDNS DoT have issues with my VyprVPN. For the past two days it was ok. Now, it seems cannot open sites. Disabled DNS in Adguard for desktop and everything goes back to normal with VyprVPN. I think VyprVPN knows I'm using Adguard/NextDNS DoT and not their DNS servers

I think even ExpressVPN and some other VPN providers would not allow the user to set their own DNS servers. I think I give Adguard VPN for Windows a try after all it should be compatible with their Adguard for desktop DNS servers

Wow, after disabling DoT my laptop flies even when using double-hop VPNs

:love:

Last edited:

Gangelo

Level 4
Verified
Jul 29, 2017
Adguard/NextDNS DoT have issues with my VyprVPN. For the past two days it was ok. Now, it seems cannot open sites. Disabled DNS in Adguard for desktop and everything goes back to normal with VyprVPN. I think VyprVPN knows I'm using Adguard/NextDNS DoT and not their DNS servers

I think even ExpressVPN and some other VPN providers would not allow the user to set their own DNS servers. I think I give Adguard VPN for Windows a try after all it should be compatible with their Adguard for desktop DNS servers

Wow, after disabling DoT my laptop flies even when using double-hop VPNs

:love:

Are you using VyvprVPN continuously on your system or on demand (occassionally)?
I'm asking because if you are using your VPN on demand, there is a workaround with the DNS provider issue.
YogaDNS can have rules so that when your VyprVPN network adaptor gets activated, it can route your traffic through your ISP's DNS (default).
When you do not use your VPN it will direct traffic through the DNS of your choice automatically.

I had the same issue using my corporate VPN for work, I had to deactivate the DNS switch on Adguard for Windows to work.
YogaDNS gave me the solution.

HarborFront

Level 57
Verified
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Are you using VyvprVPN continuously on your system or on demand (occassionally)?
I'm asking because if you are using your VPN on demand, there is a workaround with the DNS provider issue.
YogaDNS can have rules so that when your VyprVPN network adaptor gets activated, it can route your traffic through your ISP's DNS (default).
When you do not use your VPN it will direct traffic through the DNS of your choice automatically.

I had the same issue using my corporate VPN for work, I had to deactivate the DNS switch on Adguard for Windows to work.
YogaDNS gave me the solution.
I always use double VPNs when surfing the net

Router VPN => Laptop VPN (VyprVPN) => Internet

Now I have Adguard VPN (beta) I have another laptop VPN option

HarborFront

Level 57
Verified
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok I see. This is a different user case scenario.
In any case, we were facing the same issue with routing DNS through Adguard for Windows. It can be problematic with VPN's in general.
IMO, if you use DNS then don't use a VPN and vice versa unless the VPN has an option to allow you to do so. VyprVPN has this option to add custom regular DNS servers but not for DoT/DoH DNS. I think regular DNS servers should be ok for VPN.

But in Adguard case they have their own DNS servers in their app for a long time. Not sure why its VPN won't work with its DoT DNS server after all both are from Adguard