Status
Not open for further replies.

technology

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
oft5qs.png

As if the cacophony of leaks around the Nexus 5 weren't enough, here's the most official yet: Google's latest flagship phone has appeared on the Play store. The listing appears to have been made in error, as the phone cannot be bought and no details are available but the most important — a starting price of $349 for the 16GB version. While that's a higher barrier to entry than we saw with the Nexus 4, which also cost $349 at 16GB but had a $299 8GB model, it's still an attractively low price for what appears to be a more than capable device. Google's tagline for the LG-made phone is "Capture the everyday and the epic in fresh new ways."

The image of the Nexus 5 on the Play store is small, but a Verge commenter has provided a high-resolution version; it displays some of the same Android UI tweaks found on press shots that leaked earlier today. The next version of Android, 4.4 KitKat, looks to employ translucency effects on elements such as the app drawer and on-screen buttons, and the blue accents used in earlier versions of the software appear to have been replaced with white. Some apps have received new icons, too, including the camera and phone, and the wallpaper features an abstract "5" design in much the same style as the new Nexus 7's.

Google is yet to announce anything official about the Nexus 5, but it can't be far off now.

Update: It looks like Google has plugged the leaky hole, as the page is showing all of us the Nexus 4 once again. Nothing to see here... for now.

New Nexus 5 release date

The new date is courtesy of a listing on Amazon for a Nexus 5 case which is set to ship on October 30.
Now that the original October 15 date has been and gone with no announcement, the most recent date we'd heard prior to this was October 31, so this new potential date of October 30 isn't a million miles from that.

Source 1
source 2

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I might switch from my iPhone 5 for this new nexus.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
http://www.redmondpie.com/google-nexus-5-officially-announced-features-price-release-date-video/

I'm definitely ditching my iPhone for this :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
iPhone 5 vs Nexus 5; What extra does it offer?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
The nexus has a 5 inch full hd 1080p display, 2 gb of ram compared to 1 gb in my iPhone 5, a quadcore cpu compared to my dual core. But my most superficial reason for wanting to move to the nexus 5 is...I just really like the look of the device.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sold by aesthetics and hardware. No surprise. Not intended to offend anyone.

Did you know Google, Apple and Microsoft engineer their new software to run slower on previous phone models (and over time), making consumers buy new hardware. A good OS should not be bloated or slow, on hardware that's 12 months old -- Well, that's my theory anyway.

Sick of seeing crappy smartphones.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Earth said:
Did you know Google, Apple and Microsoft engineer their new software to run slower on previous phone models (and over time), making consumers buy new hardware. A good OS should not be bloated or slow, on hardware that's 12 months old -- Well, that's my theory anyway.

Sick of seeing crappy smartphones.

I had guessed that's what they were doing, it's a disgrace. To be honest I'd buy an ubuntu phone if there was a decent one available at the moment. I couldn't agree with you more.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
My next phone. It is bad thing that Nexus 5 isn't available to buy in my country, so I had to offer it from Germany...

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Ordered my Nexus 5 today :) I've given my iPhone 5 to my mum.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So you're not a true Apple-fanboy. :p I had a look at some MBP laptops, but start at £999 and there's no 17-inch screen sizes.

Reactions: ZeroDay
D

Deleted member 178

As Sauron will say: "My rooted Pantech/Sky Vega rules them all" :p

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
So you're not a true Apple-fanboy. :p I had a look at some MBP laptops, but start at £999 and there's no 17-inch screen sizes.

Haha, no Earth not a true fanboy ;) I do love my iPad, but if this Nexus 5 turns out to be as good as I hope it will I may buy a Nexus 10.

Edit: The price of the Nexu 5 16gb is £299 which, for the specs is an amazing price.
I know what you mean about MBP's very pricey. I love my mac mini. It cost me £500, then I upgraded the ram which was another £120 and it runs great!

Edit 2 lol: Another reason I went for the Nexus is the fact that it gets all Android Updates straight away, unlike the SG4 etc.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
iPhone was ok .....with Jailbreak.Samsung GS3 was better.Smansung Galaxy Note 3 even better.Nexus 5 I will pass.After the honeymoon it just becomes a phone that you can text on and read email.Take some pics,play a game and watch a video.To me it becomes boring after a while.Not a Facebooker or tweeter and not really time to do anything else with it.Maybe I might dig out the old Motorolla razor and activate it...lol.

No to mention after buying a PS4 and an Xbox One,if I buy a Nexus 5 I will be in divorce court.Then I will be back to using a can and a string.

Edit: Hmmmmmmm Divorce Court.....doesn't sound thaaaaaaaaat bad....

Reactions: ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
iPhone was ok .....with Jailbreak.Samsung GS3 was better.Smansung Galaxy Note 3 even better.Nexus 5 I will pass.After the honeymoon it just becomes a phone that you can text on and read email.Take some pics,play a game and watch a video.To me it becomes boring after a while.Not a Facebooker or tweeter and not really time to do anything else with it.Maybe I might dig out the old Motorolla razor and activate it...lol.

No to mention after buying a PS4 and an Xbox One,if I buy a Nexus 5 I will be in divorce court.Then I will be back to using a can and a string.

Edit: Hmmmmmmm Divorce Court.....doesn't sound thaaaaaaaaat bad....

Haha, I like your style! I've been on my PS4 4 times since I've had it. I lose interest very quickly. I'll probably give it a lamping over the holidays though.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you used the PlayStation App (Android // iOS) with the PS4, any good?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am the same way especially playing COD and those campers,makes me want to throw my new Nexus 5 across the room,if I had one.

I have been Playing COD Ghosts.It's the first release where I get rewarded in the game for Tea Bagging a fresh kill.Used to be just fun but now I get a care package for doing it.

I have not used the app either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.