NIST & InAuth Agree: SMS 2FA is Vulnerable

Do you use SMS 2 -Factor Authentication?

• Total voters

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
NIST Has It Right-SMS Is Not Secure-
By Michael Lynch, Chief Strategy Officer, InAuth:

SOURCE: cybersecuritytrend.com (ARTICLE DATE: 17 Aug 2016)

The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the non-regulatory agency of the United States Department of Commerce that publishes guidelines to assess the security of products and services in the government and private sector, recently confirmed something security professionals have been saying for a number of years—that SMS is not secure.

Specifically, NIST called out the risk on SMS use for two-factor authentication (2FA) in the latest draft of the Digital Authentication Guideline (DAG). While the guidelines are still under discussion, it is almost a certainty that future versions will discourage the use of SMS-based authentication for out-of-band (OOB) verification, a type of 2FA.

Out-of-band (OOB) verification refers to the use of two separate networks to authenticate a user. When you forget a password and have a temporary one texted to your phone, that’s an example of out-of-band security. This method is believed to make fraud more difficult to commit because two separate and unconnected authentication channels would have to be compromised for an attacker to gain access.

However, it has been well known by security experts for years that SMS is a vulnerable 2FA method, and determined criminals can, in fact, exploit it. Possession of a person’s mobile device is not required as SMS can be intercepted with man-in-the-middle attacks or the message can be forwarded.

Further, criminals can attempt to substitute their own phone number for their victims’ number prior to attempting access. The effectiveness of this technique depends on the organization’s strict adherence to security protocols in changing account information.

For these and other reasons, fraudsters often specifically target SMS as a potential access point. Malicious software can exploit SMS functionality to send fraudulent text messages or fake incoming SMS messages (for phishing). Users may be tricked into clicking fraudulent links or disclosing sensitive personal information. Further, SMS over VoIP should never be used because some VoIP services allow SMS messages to be intercepted..
[To read the full article please visit cybersecuritytrend.com]

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I know its not very safe, but i do use it for my gaming acct only, and for its ease
of access, for example when I log on I can have my sms open and waiting for the verification
using my phone.
Thanks for the share Logethica :)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Interesting article.

That enhance my believe that nothing is secure in cyber-world. :D

But from safety viewpoint, I believe everything has a hazards and risks.

So possibly with 2FA vulnerability, there's a very high severity (consequences), but the likelihood of being impacted would likely dependent on how strictly you adhere to security guidelines.

In other words, 2FA is still usable regardless if and only if, users themselves stay vigilant and know what they should be opening.

Almost all of my account are on 2FA. On a side note, one of my Yahoo account is being brute-forced 2 days ago and 2FA saved its lives.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I become ever more disillusioned with the "sub-standard cyber-security advice" that seems to be parroted by media outlets..
To me it is no surprise that the number of victims of all-manner of cyber-attacks continues to rise, and I hold the media (along with it's poorly conceived,& tired list of so-called safety precautions) responsible for this..

The old "Keep your OS up to date", "Make sure that you have an AV" ,"Use 2FA".. seriously?..
Would statistics really show those that follow the above advice to be at a dramatically reduced likelihood of infection ?..
Those Novices that purchase a new PC will have the latest OS,Automatic updates,Windows Firewall+Defender, and yet are becoming victims at an ever increasing rate!..
Isn't it time that better advice was given?

I would suggest that a user that decided to ignore...
1) "Keep your OS up to date"
2) "Make sure that you have an AV"
3) "Use 2FA"

..but instead followed (for example)...
1) "Run your Browser in a Sandbox"
2) "Use an Anti-Executable"
3) "Use complex Passwords,and change them frequently"

..would have far less chance of becoming a victim..
I understand that a small degree of learning is required with the above suggestions,but a decision has to be made as to whether recommendations should be "easy" or "effective"..
I consider it immoral to persuade a novice user that an AV,and an up-to-date system will keep them protected..as this is lies!

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
3) "Use 2FA"

2) "Use an Anti-Exutable"

Point 3 while is a valid solution, it's not that reasonable though it's practicable.

If you open a survey on how frequent PW are changed, I believe there'll be a shocker. :D

L

LabZero

I become ever more disillusioned with the "sub-standard cyber-security advice" that seems to be parroted by media outlets..
To me it is no surprise that the number of victims of all-manner of cyber-attacks continues to rise, and I hold the media (along with it's poorly conceived,& tired list of so-called safety precautions) responsible for this..

The old "Keep your OS up to date", "Make sure that you have an AV" ,"Use 2FA".. seriously?..
Would statistics really show those that follow the above advice to be at a dramatically reduced likelihood of infection ?..
Those Novices that purchase a new PC will have the latest OS,Automatic updates,Windows Firewall+Defender, and yet are becoming victims at an ever increasing rate!..
Isn't it time that better advice was given?

3) "Use 2FA"

2) "Use an Anti-Executable"

..would have far less chance of becoming a victim..
I understand that a small degree of learning is required with the above suggestions,but a decision has to be made as to whether recommendations should be "easy" or "effective"..
I consider it immoral to persuade a novice user that an AV,and an up-to-date system will keep them protected..as this is lies!
Good points! :)

We can hardly solve the problem because it is not just a problem of security tools.
Although security technologies are increasingly efficient and intelligent, hackers and malcoders pointing to the one thing that has not yet had improvements in: the awareness on the safety of the end user.

That's not important how these tools are valid and efficient, a lack of end users in the education of security, means that the attacks will never be defeated. The attacks always will exist, but education and safety awareness at least make it difficult for the attackers.

A skilled user should be perfectly able to recognize and evade a phishing attack, so as to distinguish between a safe and malicious software or, better, between appropriate behavior and one potentially dangerous.

Unfortunately, many and many users are not educated in this context and it is necessary to secure our systems, starting from the education and training of the users.

At least, we are doing a great job in this direction here at MT ;)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
This thread and poll is not fair to poor @frogboy who does not own any form of mobile device to do two step verification. I just have to be more vigilant than most people, so far it has worked well relying on brain.exe. :D Old and worn out as it is. :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.