Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
http://news.softpedia.com/news/no-f...ines-for-first-time-since-launch-508853.shtml

The latest batch of market share statistics provided by Net Applications for desktop operating systems puts Windows 10 on the second position in the rankings, but it also reveals something totally unexpected that happened last month.

Windows 10 has actually lost market share last month despite the fact that everyone expected the operating system to continue its growth, which could be a sign that Microsoft’s 1 billion devices running Windows 10 goal might take a bit longer to become reality.

While it’s a bit too early to tell whether Windows 10’s market share could stagnate for a longer period or not, the September 2016 performance was clearly below expectations, especially because this happens only one month after Microsoft ended its free upgrade campaign.

As part of this promo, Microsoft often became rather aggressive and sometimes users accused the company of forcing the upgrade on them, with many complaining that Windows 10 was installed on their PCs even if they didn’t ask for it.

No forced upgrades, no growth
But now that Windows 10 is no longer available for free, the operating system’s growth not only that slowed down but it also stopped completely, and this can only be bad news for Microsoft.

Windows 10 dropped last month from 22.99 percent to 22.53 percent, and while the decline isn’t substantial, it’s a sign that the new OS might really struggle to get closer to Windows 7.

And speaking of Windows 7, it continues to be number one, and not only that it survived the Windows 10 upgrade period but it’s back to growth as well. Windows 7 improved last month from 47.25 percent to 48.27 percent, and it’s undoubtedly one of the main reasons for Windows 10’s decline.

It remains to be seen if Windows 10 can return to growth next month, but this is clearly unexpected performance from an operating system that Microsoft praised with pretty much every occasion. In the meantime, however, Windows 7 seems to be doing just fine no matter what Microsoft’s plans are.

no-free-upgrades-no-new-users-windows-10-declines-for-first-time-since-launch-508853-2.jpg

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
They can't be surprised, if they are they don't have the team I thought they did.
Their approach brought this on, and the good part is they can change that far
easier than changing code. I just hope they are "socially" smart enough to see
that fact.
Cool Share Exterminator.

O

Omnipotent

Windows 7 will always be the best operating system in my opinion. It's an all time favourite. I only upgraded to Windows 10 in fear of my Skylake CPU not being supported on Windows 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wave

Windows 7 will always be the best operating system in my opinion. It's an all time favourite. I only upgraded to Windows 10 in fear of my Skylake CPU not being supported on Windows 7.
In all honesty they need to do release something nice and light, Windows 10 has so much bloatware (loads of default apps which aren't needed and should be optional to be installed, loads of background processes, etc). And the privacy is not as good...

We need a Windows 7 version 2. Don't get me wrong, I love the Windows 10 GUI, but with all the bloatware/default background processes... It just becomes irritating really.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
In all honesty they need to do release something nice and light, Windows 10 has so much bloatware (loads of default apps which aren't needed and should be optional to be installed, loads of background processes, etc). And the privacy is not as good...

We need a Windows 7 version 2. Don't get me wrong, I love the Windows 10 GUI, but with all the bloatware/default background processes... It just becomes irritating really.
Yeah, with Win 7 I never had to tweak the processes as heavily as I do with Win 10, I game so I like a slim and "out of the way" OS.
7 did this far better than 10.

exCode

Level 3
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Same here. I actually forgot about Skylake CPUs being all screwey on Win7, but it kinda made everything unusable (graphics drivers not working, mouse input really weird, etc..) I really miss Win7 and Aero..

If Windows 7.1 (get it roflamo xddd) became a thing I might actually buy it..

H

hjlbx

"Access is Denied" is a blessing for some - and they don't even know it.

No further W7 and W8.1 OEM system sales permitted by Microsoft starting next week.

Microsoft will be scaling back - as much as they can - support for W7 and W8.1.

Microsoft has now transitioned W7 and W8\8.1 to the W10 cumulative update model - so they can smash your beloved systems.

You didn't think you could somehow manage to completely avoid Microsoft's dastardly grasp by not using W10... did you ?

Also, it is rumored that Microsoft intends to accelerate the End of Life schedules for both W7 and W8.1.

If it's a rumor, it's probably gonna happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.