no improvement in avast 7 for behaviour shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
the behaviour shield is yet not improved....

i still see the shield is not yet fully operational on auto decide it should be able to block atleast 50% of malware beahviour atleast...

i see the behav shield records suspicious events but doesnt block them neither no alerts are displayed....why??

I saw all this in my tests...behav shield records suspicious events but doesnt display a pop-up and neither blocks it....

when avast sees something bad is suspicious is going on it should block it....what's the deal with that??

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Likely Behavior Shield uses heuristics analysis so therefore a file that's known to be malicious/suspicious will popup so for Sandbox feature too.

When its set to ask a behavior popup must shown with the option.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
i mean if it is for the autosandbox why it should be even given as a shield.....more ever i would like to see improvements in it

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Malwarekiller just reinstall avast and see. The same thing happened with me. No alerts from avast on detecting a virus but the logs would show it. A manual scan also detected the virus. ITs relatime shields gave me no alerts nor any action was taken. Even it did not alert about Eicar.

The solution: I reinstalled Avast IS. I later found this problem always occurred when I selected the WebReputation plugin of avast during install time.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I do think that the behavior shield could be improved in detection , however this would mean more user interaction and possible false positive.... And I think that Avast is mainly targeting the newbies so it's not something that they would want to do....
By default the behavior blocker is set on auto-decide and as it is , it's not a strong component in this product prevention but this can be easily change by the user if it changes the settings to 'Ask'

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
hi people!

i am saying that the behav shield records susp events but doesnt block them when it is supposed to do it.....i have been thunking and it really seems there is some bug or something with behav shield of not displaying alerts

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Saw your previous post malbky...i dont have any of those problems u mention this happens for many others and not just me.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Try reinstall a shot or switch to an Av which suits you the best. I have done jumping av's and found kaspersky gives the best detection feature set and configuration. Previously no AV lasted on my pc for more than 10days. Kaspersky has set a record 91days and counting.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Avast is best for me....it suits me i am just talking about a feature in avast that seems quite silent to me

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I asked something similar over on Avast's Forum - Link

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
malwarekiller said:
i moved the setting to block

There's another topic being discussed (about Behaviour Shield video), some say Block isn't the recommended choice for reasons.

You can read up more when it's updated:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=96724.msg771661#msg771661

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
On my system the BB was set to "ask" and the first time installed 3 alerts showed a pop up: Firefox, CCE and explorer. If that case was in "block" action then it may cause trouble.

Well its a choice, cause if you set to block and none legitimate application popup then good for you.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
malwarekiller said:
It works for me on block....it doesnt block legit programs for me

Why do you need it on block setting? are you getting infected with malware with it set to ask? if so then you must be not using good habits.

I have Avast set to auto and it works fine for me I have never got one single infection with it set to auto. Of coarse you can't expect Avast to do all the work for you, if you have bad habits you will get infected no mater what security setup you use.

Thanks.:D

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
sorry littlebits i set avast to block setting since it doesnt really matter to me...i dont do too much of installations and uninstallations....more ever if i set it to ask there are some dumb average users around the house and they dont really know how to answer questions and putting it to block just gives me a extra layer of security

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
malwarekiller said:
sorry littlebits i set avast to block setting since it doesnt really matter to me...i dont do too much of installations and uninstallations....more ever if i set it to ask there are some dumb average users around the house and they dont really know how to answer questions and putting it to block just gives me a extra layer of security

Great answer, if you have a shared computer with novice users I can see the benefits. Of coarse if anyone uses my computer, I log off and give them the Guest account that way they can't mess things up.

Good day.:D

1234avast

Apr 5, 2012
putting block as the behaviour shield option is good.... it doesn't block or deny any legit programs only detects and denies the programs it detects as suspicious events at auto decide... so putting the option to block will block everything recorded down as suspicious events when the option is on auto decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.