Upendra19

Level 1
I got no OS found error message on my laptop. I did some google search and contact microsoft just getting one answer reinstall windows 8. I don't want to lose my data. Any tools or software that can fix this issue so that I don't have to reinstall windows!!!

roger_m

Level 21
Content Creator
Verified
If you use EaseUS Disk Copy Home, you may be able to clone your hard drive to another one, with the new clone working fine. It installs to a flash drive. It has the option to keep going when it finds a bad sector.

Raiden

Level 10
Content Creator
Verified
I don't want you to panic, but hopefully your HDD/SDD didn't die. It could either be that, or something got corrupted. First and foremost I would get into the BIOS and see if the HDD/SSD is being seen by the BIOS. If not, it either lost connection some how, or it died unfortunately. I would follow what the others have said and use one of the bootable disks to either clone your drive, or simply transfer your files off of it. Unfortunately, if the HDD/SSD did die, you probably won't be able to get your data back without going to a data recovery company, which can be expensive, or trying something like SpinRite from GRC (Steve Gibson).

Again, I am not trying to stress you out, but just want you to be prepared for all the potential outcomes. Hopefully something just got corrupted and all you have to do is reinstall Windows, but before that I would check the BIOS to see if it sees the HDD/SDD. If it does, try one of the bootable media USB's to either clone or, transfer your files off the drive, then reinstall Windows. If it doesn't it's either dead, or the data ports on the MB died, but more often than not it's the HDD/SSD. IF that is the case, a last resort your be to try something like SpinRite (have to purchase it and have a spare computer to run it).

JM Safe

Level 38
Content Creator
Trusted
Verified
Hello, please try to do as following:

1. Restart your computer
2. Enter in BIOS
3. As @Raiden said please look if HDD or SSD is present in BIOS
4. If your HDD or SSD is not present in the BIOS please try to reset BIOS settings to default
5. Go to Exit saving changes

If this method doesn't work you could try to do this:

1. Boot your computer with Windows install disc
2. Go to Repair your computer -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Automatic Repair

If this method doesn't work you could try to do that:

1. Boot your computer with Windows install disc
2. Go to Repair your computer
3. Select c:\
4. Go to Next
5. Go to CMD
6. type bootrec /rebuildbcd
7. Press Y if there is a Windows installation that can be added to boot list.