No Security Software could remove this malware

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2016
I wanted to test my security setup and so installed MTVK latest version and ran it after disabling security software on my pc.
then when I fired up my firefox, I get a prompt from HitmanPro Alert that my browser is compromised and I ran a scan with HMPA, It reported a trojan in my windows temp folser,
I cleaned the file with HMP.
Rebooted and same issue.
Scanned with Zemana and same fille was reported and I cleaned the file and rebooted and then same issue,
Firefox was again stopped with HMPA.
All the while KIS did not even whimper.

So I restored from my clean image.
Please be careful even when using multiple, layered security.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
DrWeb CureIT known as one of the best solution in cleaning messy infections
you didnt tried everything , so "No Security Software" is not correct here ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I wanted to test my security setup and so installed MTVK latest version and ran it after disabling security software on my pc.
So I restored from my clean image.
Please be careful even when using multiple, layered security.
It's not an issue with layered security, it's your actions.
  1. You downloaded malware.
  2. You executed malicious software with no protection enabled.
  3. You thought malware was easy to remove.
  4. You risked your PC, Identity, other Networked-devices
As @HarborFront has asked what's MTVK?

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2016
It's not an issue with layered security, it's your actions.
  1. You downloaded malware.
  2. You executed malicious software with no protection enabled.
  3. You thought malware was easy to remove.
  4. You risked your PC, Identity, other Networked-devices
As @HarborFront has asked what's MTVK?
You're missing the point. I have always relied on the fact that having security suites and other softs would give me security. I just wanted to test the malware removal capabilities of my softs as I do not want to live in a fools paradise.
Now I know that malware removal is just a myth,
I work for one of the leading Information Technology companies in the world and our admins always reimage any pc or laptop compromised by user action or otherwise.
No use taking risks and wasting time they say.
Of course data is always backed up.

Reactions: cryogent

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is posted under Troubleshooting sub-forum, what type of response did you think you'll receive?

As @_CyberGhosT_ mentioned, you should have run under a VM environment. So I stand by my point.

Reactions: cryogent

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2016
This is posted under Troubleshooting sub-forum, what type of response did you think you'll receive?
If this is the wrong forum, I apologize.
As @_CyberGhosT_ mentioned, you should have run under a VM environment. So I stand by my point.
Please do not take offense. None was meant. I just wanted to share my experience of malware not being removed by antimalware.

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2016
DrWeb CureIT known as one of the best solution in cleaning messy infections
you didnt tried everything , so "No Security Software" is not correct here ;)
I will try that out and probably I should have said all my security software did not remove the malware.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thread Moved to General Security.

If your real-time protection was disabled, then malware can run-free - just stating the obvious. Because your results may have differed if your system was pre-infected without any security software installed, as some malware can prevent tools from running properly.

Did you mean you wanted to test your Anti Malware applications on an infected system, with existing security installed?

I'm not an expert in Malware Testing or Removal, so perhaps other AV-Test group members can provide better information.

Reactions: Parsh

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.