Advice Request NOD32 and CF/cs vs Anything Lighter and Just as Effective?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Just curious. I have been using the combo ESET NOD32 with CFW/cs for a while with no hiccups or malware surprises on my Windows 10 PC.

That being said entering 2019, is anyone using or has found a combo amongst the latest vendor software versions that is even lighter than these two, and just as effective?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
any AV which you can disable on-access scanning
in ESET, you can also do that
config_amon.png

a few free light AV which you can disable on-access scanning: immunet, avast/avg, zemana, kaspersky security cloud free
of course they can be worse than ESET but they are free and you have CF already so the protection stay the same

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017

a few free light AV which you can disable on-access scanning: immunet, avast/avg, zemana, kaspersky security cloud free
of course they can be worse than ESET but they are free and you have CF already so the protection stay the same

Thanks for the tip regarding turning off that option within Eset. I will try that but leave everything else the same. Like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

noob guy

Level 1
Verified
Oct 7, 2018

@Evjl's Rain, how can you disable on-access scanning for Immunet?

Reactions: bribon77

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Thanks for the tip regarding turning off that option within Eset. I will try that but leave everything else the same. Like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Dont do that, ESET has a very smart cache system; you will be downgrading protection (advanced heuristics works on new created files for example) for debatable performance improvement.

Cylance + NovirusThanks OSArmor should be lighter, but as you said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Additional ThreatSense parameters for newly created files

The probability of infection in newly‑created files is comparatively higher than in existing files. This is why the program checks these files with additional scanning parameters. Along with common signature‑based scanning methods, advanced heuristics are used, which greatly improves detection rates. In addition to newly‑created files, scanning is also performed on self‑extracting files (SFX) and runtime packers (internally compressed executable files).

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Avast/avg free probably lightest, but may need help from other sws

Bitdefender scans once and then scans just new files after, not the ones scanned already so i would call that light aswell?

Im using comodo cloud personaly and its just sandbox there, valkyrie to scan computer

noob guy

Level 1
Verified
Oct 7, 2018
just don't do it because VS will make immunet with that setting useless
leave immunet as default and only disable clamAV engine
Sorry I don't understand. How will VS make Immunet useless? Trying experiment with layered setup because I know Immunet is not really that strong as other free AV, like KFA. Thanks again for taking the trouble to educate!

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Sorry I don't understand. How will VS make Immunet useless? Trying experiment with layered setup because I know Immunet is not really that strong as other free AV, like KFA. Thanks again for taking the trouble to educate!
let me explain
in default settings, when a file touches your HDD, immunet will scan it before you execute it. If it's malware, immunet will delete
if you turn that off, immunet won't do anything to the file. When you execute it, VS will always react first. If it's malware, VS will block/delete it => immunet is there for nothing = useless

only in this case immunet is useful: when that file is a malware but VS doesn't recognize it, you allow it to run -> then, immunet will react and block it

the only 2 products compatible with anti-exe the way I explain above are zemana and kaspersky
when a file is downloaded, kaspersky will scan it regardless of the settings
zemana will react before anti-exe

for other products, anti-exe will always react first and make them useless

immunet is one of the lightest AVs I have ever tried even at default settings minus the clamAV engine

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
A new antivirus or antimalware is making waves called Cylance.

Anyone know about it or using it?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
A new antivirus or antimalware is making waves called Cylance.

Anyone know about it or using it?
it's turbo lite, than almost all AVs. however, it's can miss some malwares that others don't miss and detect something before the others can => this is my concern
the home version is non-existent against scriptors but you can use syshardener to block that

it yield FPs for me

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
it's turbo lite, than almost all AVs. however, it's can miss some malwares that others don't miss and detect something before the others can => this is my concern
the home version is non-existent against scriptors but you can use syshardener to block that

it yield FPs for me

Spoken by one who knows! (y) Doesn't slow web browsing since it doesn't scan anything. :LOL: I would add that FPs are system dependent, so results may vary for each user.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Just read an article that stated that the new Kaspersky Anti-virus Free now contains System Watcher which was only available in the premium version.

That said, what do you all think of this new version? The same article implied that even Anti-Phishing improved.

I am thinking of pairing this with CF/cs instead of NOD32 based on these improvements. Do you think this would be an unbeatable combo?

Reactions: kylprq

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Just curious. I have been using the combo ESET NOD32 with CFW/cs for a while with no hiccups or malware surprises on my Windows 10 PC.

That being said entering 2019, is anyone using or has found a combo amongst the latest vendor software versions that is even lighter than these two, and just as effective?
Well, use eset or CF. not both.:giggle:

D

Deleted member 178

I would never combo those two, because each having an HIPS.

I rather combine Shadow Defender + any anti-exe/SRP, it is more efficient.

Reactions: RoboMan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.