New Update NordLocker by NordVPN - File encryption and free 3GB private cloud storage

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Homepage

Pricing: NordLocker file encryption: store and share data securely
Available for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS (coming soon).

Blog post: We’re launching a file encryption service this summer
NordLocker is a file encryption app for macOS and Windows. It secures the files stored on your computer or cloud with end-to-end encryption. This way, you can be sure that no one will access your data without your knowledge.

By releasing NordLocker, we want to make top-notch data security available for everyone – regardless of their tech skills. To achieve this, we combine the best usability practices with the highest encryption standards.

We take the two most secure encryption algorithms known today – Advanced Encryption Standard (AES-256) and 4096-bit RSA – and implement our own zero-knowledge encryption process to ensure ultimate security for your data.

NordLocker goes beyond encryption – it lets you share files securely by managing access permissions. All is done with our user-friendly app, so now securing your data with encryption is as easy as it gets.

Last edited:

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hi, No I can't say that I have, But have used NordVPN 1 year subscription, no doubt about it sounds exiting.

Reactions: Cortex

LM77

Level 1
Verified
Sep 11, 2016
There are really two aspects to this question: (a) the reliability of the cryptography and (b) functionality for the end user.

I obviously cannot comment on (a), and in contrast to Nord VPN and Nord password manager, I didn't see any indication on their site of an external audit of Nordlocker. (There is a detailed description on the site of the cryptographic approach they adopted in ML, but unless one is a professional cryptographer with access to the source code, it is impossible to say anything about the actual implementation.)

As for end user functionality, though, I can definitely say that the user experience is generally quite positive: decryption is quick, even when decrypting large and numerous files; the user interface is very user-friendly; and the software is extremely easy to use and master. Support was also very responsive when I contacted them with suggestions. So if you're looking for software to manage an encrypted digital archive with a lot of files (say, your financial records), I think that Nordlocker comes out as a very strong contender - again, without entering the question of the underlying cryptography, as per my comments in the previous paragraph.

A few relatively minor qualms, though, at least one of which they developers apparently intend to address in the future: (a) you can only search for files by file names, and not by date (supposedly will be addressed in the future) or by content; (b) you can only search for files within a given "locker," but not from one locker to another, although you can search for files in different folders in the same locker; (c) if you want to work with folders, as far as I can see you cannot generate a new folder within the program; instead, you have to create a folder externally and import it. To be sure, this can be somewhat of a nuisance, but it is certainly not an insuperable obstacle.

Also, keep in mind that you can now encrypt as many files as you want on disk for free if you don't want to use the Nordlocker cloud, and these files can be backed up externally (say, with unlimited cloud backup like Backblaze) without difficulty or limitation.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Uploading large amounts of data to the cloud (some other hard drives) & downloading it can be extremely time consuming, I have four external drives two of which live in an inexpensive but fireproof safe, a far better solution for my 3tb of data any day of the week - 500 Gig will get me nowhere - :rolleyes::rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.