Norton and Symantec partnership at Symantec’s Security Technology and Response (STAR) division

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I found some good content on blog of NortonLifeLock research team

From the article:

Bottom line: When it comes to cyber security, ML is going to be more effective when it is applied in conjunction with human experts in the loop, rather than working on its own. That’s where you can talk about a complete solution. But it needs humans to be fully effective.

Yeah, this makes perfect sense -- and kinda what I've been saying for quite a while.

I ran Cylance for a while with Norton (and other things).

I've always thought that Cylance should be the ML Module of a suite rather than a stand-alone product.

At least at one time, the ML algorithm of Cylance was the real deal. But Cylance just had too many false positives. It was a pain-in-the-ass. @Nightwalker lost his patience with Cylance before I did.... but eventually, I lost my patience too.

Cylance is still on multiple machines (I seem to have gotten a free long term license based on where I work). But I keep it turned off mostly.

B

BVLon

From the article:

Yeah, this makes perfect sense -- and kinda what I've been saying for quite a while.

I ran Cylance for a while with Norton (and other things).

I've always thought that Cylance should be the ML Module of a suite rather than a stand-alone product.

At least at one time, the ML algorithm of Cylance was the real deal. But Cylance just had too many false positives. It was a pain-in-the-ass. @Nightwalker lost his patience with Cylance before I did.... but eventually, I lost my patience too.

Cylance is still on multiple machines (I seem to have gotten a free long term license based on where I work). But I keep it turned off mostly.
Of course it needs people lol...
We are at the core of the AI... we need to make sure it doesn't get polluted, we need to do the formulas, the training, we need to supervise it at all times...
Without people it will do more bad than good.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.