Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
NIS_Main_UI.jpg

Norton is packed with a lot of feaures , you can read about them - here.
And if I had to have any complaints is on Symantec end because to download a trail for NIS 2011 from Symantec homepage you need a credit card to complete the trail requirements.
iklUBK.png

And then If you don't like NIS in the 30 days trail period you can cancel your subscription and you won't be charged.
If you do like NIS 2011 , Symantec will just automatically consider that you want to buy it with a 1 year license and will take the money from your credit card.
Symantec is the only company that asks for a credit card before being able to download a simple trail.Although it can been seen as fair by some people,I can tell you that from the marketing point of view this will definitely make some of the potential customers run away from the product and not want to test NIS.
Fortunatly enough their are always some promos, like this one ,that give a
free trail for NIS 2011.

Download NIS 2011 with 90 days trail period from here

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Dieselman said:
NIS does not have parent controls. That was removed in 2010 and replaced with Online Family Norton. You can also get NIS for $25 off Amazon.
Isn't OFN a parental control feature?
As far as I know NIS 2011 comes with OFN for free but you have to install it.right?
As for NIS and Amazon..I agree... :p

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
No it does not come with NIS and its not built into NIS. You need to go to OFN and download the installer. The main GUI just links you to the OFN site. Everything is done online and not in NIS. I might go back to NIS. Not sure though.

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
I purchased a 2 year 3pc license for NIS 2010 in July 2010 for my 2 PC's and my parents PC which I upgraded to 2011 once it was available and it has been the perfect security suite for me. I have tried many suites and many combo's and never felt completely satisfied like I do with NIS.

I must say I did experience an. annoyance/glitch when the latest build was released which Norton resolved in short order, and the fact that the Norton Toolbar is still not compatible with Firefox 4 is I'm sure bothersome to some (I really could care less).

Bottom line Norton Internet Security 2011 is perfect for me for all the reasons you noted and with 504 days remaining on my subscription I am not considering changing to anything else anytime soon.

As you also noted good prices can be found if one digs hard enough:great:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well just use NIS before I must say its really good, Sonar and Download Insight is my favorite features.

G

Guest28

Ever, since Norton 2010 they really have improved. I tried Norton for the 90 days trial and i really liked it. I thought, it was very light and effective at protecting my computer especially from my parents who don't know anything about security and love to click things.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Not sure I would ever personally place a label such as "perfect" or "the best" but I will say I like it VERY much and it for me has and is one of the best you can get and since I only paid like $28 bucks I feel it is well worth paying for security. I usually am all for and prefer free solutions but for that much offered for so little cost it is a great choice without a doubt and even those generally intimidated find it easy to use.

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
This is where I purchased my NIS 2yr 3pc license by the way and at that time the price was only $14.99. Now you say that can not be legit, and I can say well all I know is I paid for it and it has worked on 3 pc's for going on a year now with the subscription status checking fine every time. I was shopping around after deciding what I wanted and stumbled onto this place on ebay and they had a 100% feedback rating at the time with quite a few reviews. I'm not suggesting anyone should follow what I did but I'm not the Norton police and if ever questioned I will show proof of purchase.

http://www.summersoftwarestore.com/norton-internet-security-2011-2-years-3-pcs-p-184.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.