App Review Norton Internet Security 22.8 , Malware Test, 25 Jan 2017

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
They lure customers with low prices online , for instance Norton security standard : first Year you'll pay 30 euro's. What you pay for the consecutive years via auto renewal is a different story all together : 60 euro's per Year! Insane is what it is. But Thanks for sharing this test though! :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
They lure customers with low prices online , for instance Norton security standard : first Year you'll pay 30 euro's. What you pay for the consecutive years via auto renewal is a different story all together : 60 euro's per Year! Insane is what it is. But Thanks for sharing this test though! :)
You can opt out auto renewal when you first sign up, no?

W

Wave

Was he authorised?
He doesn't have to be authorized, no one on this forum "owns" the samples. The samples are owned by the malware authors, they own the rights to the sample and they freely shared them online to infect people, so anyone who obtains them can use them.

If he got the samples from this forum himself then he must be a member with 100+ posts as that's the requirement, or maybe he got them off someone else. But regardless, he didn't do anything illegal and there's absolutely nothing anyone can do about it because: we don't know how he got the samples, we do not "own" the samples.

Just because someone found them, put them into an archive and uploaded them after scanning them at malware analysis services and AV engine scanner services doesn't give us "rights" to the sample/s. Doesn't work that way

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
He doesn't have to be authorized, no one on this forum "owns" the samples. The samples are owned by the malware authors, they own the rights to the sample and they freely shared them online to infect people, so anyone who obtains them can use them.

If he got the samples from this forum himself then he must be a member with 100+ posts as that's the requirement, or maybe he got them off someone else. But regardless, he didn't do anything illegal and there's absolutely nothing anyone can do about it because: we don't know how he got the samples, we do not "own" the samples.

Just because someone found them, put them into an archive and uploaded them after scanning them at malware analysis services and AV engine scanner services doesn't give us "rights" to the sample/s. Doesn't work that way
No problems, I asked this because last year a member was taking all the samples and posting them on his own forum. This fact wasn't liked and we took countermeasures

W

Wave

No problems, I asked this because last year a member was taking all the samples and posting them on his own forum. This fact wasn't liked and we took countermeasures
Don't worry I know what you mean, of course I don't agree with people stealing samples. But at the end of the day you can take countermeasures, but none of us actually "own" them. But that doesn't mean I agree with sample theft!!

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Don't worry I know what you mean, of course I don't agree with people stealing samples. But at the end of the day you can take countermeasures, but none of us actually "own" them. But that doesn't mean I agree with sample theft!!
I believe now members with less than 100 post can't see the download link. That's why this option was put

W

Wave

I believe now members with less than 100 post can't see the download link. That's why this option was put
That's right :) I had to wait until I was at 100 posts but I don't really go onto the hub anyway, rarely... When I get a new system then I will probably be more active there (and also in MA area) since then I'll be able to work quicker etc

And I like the 100 limit as it stops people from signing up to take the samples and provide nothing to help us back

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.