Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Deciding on Norton or ESS.

Over to you guys.

You want us to decide for you or you want to decide for yourself? :p

Either way both product are excellent.
There're plenty of threads with Norton or ESET comparing with the rest. You can refer to those threads for their pros and cons and then decide which one u prefer (unless u want us to choose for you).

If your deal-breaker solely by cost wise, ummm, Norton usually have good deal in Amazon, Newegg or stuff. ESET, not that frequent I've seen.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
You want us to decide for you or you want to decide for yourself? :p

Either way both product are excellent.
There're plenty of threads with Norton or ESET comparing with the rest. You can refer to those threads for their pros and cons and then decide which one u prefer (unless u want us to choose for you).

If your deal-breaker solely by cost wise, ummm, Norton usually have good deal in Amazon, Newegg or stuff. ESET, not that frequent I've seen.
I want to decide with you guys help/suggestions/know-how & experiences with the products, etc...:)

No latest comparison between the 2 only so started the thread.

Reactions: Logethica

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I want to decide with you guys help/suggestions/know-how & experiences with the products, etc...:)

No latest comparison between the 2 only so started the thread.

Okay.
I haven't touch Norton for a long time. Only played it while on my friend's computer. It was a good experience. Improved significantly over the years with its detection and protection module.

ESET Smart Security or ESS, I kinda have an unpleasant experience at the moment. It boink my network such at default settings all my browsers, AV and such are disconnected. I presumed that it might be conflict with the rest of my programs and it needs to be tweak to get it optimal performance. (Din have enough time to try this so just uninstall it).

I would say for me, it's a tie kinda.Minimal resources needed.

Anyway let's see what Norton fanboys and ESET fanboys has to say (Sorry, I'm Emsisoft and Appguard fanboy :D)

A

Alkajak

Thread author
@yesnoo For good reason. With a little bit of tweaking, ESET is by far the lightest and most interactive security in my opinion. Currently using WD for a no tweaking needed build, but if I did go back to a suite that needs tweaking, it would be between ESS and Comodo for sure.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i would go ESET SS, sure ESET HIPS is far from good until tweaked but it has other good stuff, i liked its many options especially in the FW. and its GUI is awesome; the best i ever seen.

Reactions: Rishi

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
People's choice then ESET cause its generally proven to have comprehensive features and protection it needs although Norton isn't bad at all yet effective when you are connected on the internet as Cloud is well reliable.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Guys, thanxx for your suggestions & time.

I have asked few queries on Wilders too on Symantec thread about Norton & Norton deleting detected items without quarantining. And users have directed me to latest links i.e latest Norton. And it seems its by design that Sometimes Norton deletes detected items without quarantining.

I like the upcoming Comodo Cloud AV. As per Devs the final is going to be released on Jan 18. I will try it & if like it will go with it or else go with ESS.

Hav fun

Reactions: Logethica

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
I voted for eset as always. I use this product for more than 7 years and never have been disappointed with it. However, eset smart 8 installed on my lap as I found a little bit buggy eset smart 9. Moreover, for me it is easy to get a license (from promos or other ways) for eset smart than Norton.

Rajat

Level 2
Verified
Oct 20, 2015
Eset is the only product after KIS for which i have paid ever. It is easy to use, very few FP's, Light & effective. Some people say that it doesn't give you zero day protection but if you are an advanced user than you can go on & create custom Hips rules.

Reactions: Rishi

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
For casual user Norton: has all you need without much need of customization and Sonar does a good job.
For a more advanced user (and if you like Traditional HIPS approach): ESET. The main point of ESET is its customisable HIPS.
In terms of definitions/detection rate, both are decent enough.

Take your pick.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i think of it this way if it helps OP or anyone else: Norton --> MSE --> ESET (not mentioning other AV's so it wont get off-topic)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.