RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm on a dilemma here. Was planning to leave Avast Free behind and choose from a paid suite.
  1. Norton Security Standard (lastest version)
  2. Kaspersky Internet Security (lastest version)

What would you recommend for home use and advanced knowledge? Thanks! :)

Aditional notes:

• Chosen product will be on max settings
  • Will use the suite firewall (on max settings)
  • Will be used along with VodooShield and HitmanPro.Alert

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
People here prefer Kaspersky by a wide margin - and it's not unjustified. Norton is good, but it has partially stagnated in some ways - primarily in a pro-active approach towards Malware. Especially Malware. If I had to sum it up, I would say use Kaspersky... as powered up Norton is certainly no match for well tweaked Kaspersky.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
kaspersky is better and more reliable than norton + you are likely to get KIS for cheap price ~$10
if you read my story, you will understand why I would never recommend norton to anyone although it was years ago

however both products on max settings will significantly degrade your PC performance compared to avast at max settings
KIS with default settings + a few tweaks is good enough but in the end it is recommended to have something dedicated for ransomewares as AVs are not really good enough

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks everybody so far. I've used Norton earlier this year, and i still have my license which expires in like 6 more months. But really, with all the deals, getting a license for Kaspersky is no big deal and if it offers me better protection let's go with it. I'm downloading Kaspersky IS' trial and let's see how it performs on my system.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

I'm on a dilemma here. Was planning to leave Avast Free behind and choose from a paid suite.
  1. Norton Security Standard (lastest version)
  2. Kaspersky Internet Security (lastest version)

What would you recommend for home use and advanced knowledge? Thanks! :)

Aditional notes:

• Chosen product will be on max settings
  • Will use the suite firewall (on max settings)
  • Will be used along with VodooShield and HitmanPro.Alert
I highly recommend Kaspersky IS 2017 for several reasons...

I actually came from AVG Free originally, to Avast Free then to Norton IS 2015, then 2016 & now Kaspersky IS 2017! Quite a journey :) I was extremely happy that I purchased Kaspersky because unlike Norton it isn't buggy (Norton often disabled protection & couldn't re-enable the protection - or couldn't perform updates, etc). Kaspersky has many many more settings & features - great for customisation and for privacy/general security - webcam protection, an on screen keyboard, parental control, etc.

Kaspersky has higher detection rates in tests, better signatures (from my experience), a nicer/neater GUI which is very easy to navigate & use. It works well in co-operation with VoodooShield (I have KIS 2017 with VoodooShield Pro & ZAL). It has a better Firewall than Norton as far as I know & is overall much better in terms of protection.

The only downside to Kaspersky is that it's heavier on the system than Norton.

Norton = Install & forget
Kaspersky = Expert user - customise, monitor, use features, never forget...

That's my opinion, I hope it helped :)

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Kaspersky has higher detection rates in tests, better signatures (from my experience), a nicer/neater GUI which is very easy to navigate & use. It works well in co-operation with VoodooShield (I have KIS 2017 with VoodooShield Pro & ZAL). It has a better Firewall than Norton as far as I know & is overall much better in terms of protection.
I think comparing both in their default settings, Kaspersky isn't that better, at least in the last versions, I've seen lot of comparative test Norton performing better than Kaspersky. Just will depend on the test, but both are very near.
I'll wait for a comparison video in your channel;)

M

MalwareBlockerYT

I think comparing both in their default settings, Kaspersky isn't that better, at least in the last versions, I've seen lot of comparative test Norton performing better than Kaspersky. Just will depend on the test, but both are very near.
I'll wait for a comparison video in your channel;)
I agree that recently Kaspersky has gone downhill slightly because in 2016 it was doing much better - although this may be my new selection of malicious samples. I will be reviewing/testing Norton soon & then you will see the differences :) Maybe they are pretty similar this year though...

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I would say both are close in their ability to protect you in which I would give their protection about a 50% success ratio. Both are well what they are security suites. Which tend to not work as well as a complete security config. I haven't tested Norton 2017 yet but KTS 2017 I am currently testing. I launched a pretty big payload at it and KTS did quite well actually it let about 10% through of non in the wild malicious code. Norton I can't say but I'd like to see the comparison for 2017 before I make my judgement. As pointed out KIS and or KTS and it's stock config will probably give you about the same results as Norton in the long run. Though both are in no way bullet proof nor do they stop some of the simple things you think they would. Norton is a bit better at stopping pups and other unwanted's so to speak I'd say, but that is from previous years of testing it.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Between the two, I prefer Norton. I do like Kaspersky's GUI settings and how they lay out application control in a nice and easy format. Norton runs smoother. Less bugs.

I've had problems with Chrome slowdowns, KSN not connecting, TAM causing apps to open slow. Norton on the other hand, I like how it displays unknowns with file rep in a easy to read popup that allows you to make a good decision on whether to run it or not.

Anyway, I've used both off and on for the past 4 years. Kaspersky never has never felt like a well oiled machine. Norton on the other hand, has been performing faster than any other AV I've tested (performance is very important to me).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For advanced and experience users, then Kaspersky Internet Security is indeed a good choice.

The true core of protection goes not on just on main protection but on lock down using Application Control; the firewall module is also effective against possible intrusion detection which Kaspersky manage to maintain it.

Meanwhile on the other hand, Norton Security is simplified with minimal configuration which great for casual and less risk scenario. The cloud detection capabilities is strong with less FP and FN.

-------------

Now in the case of having Voodoshield and Hitman Pro.Alert then likely the two products can go well without hitch.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I would say both are close in their ability to protect you in which I would give their protection about a 50% success ratio. Both are well what they are security suites. Which tend to not work as well as a complete security config. I haven't tested Norton 2017 yet but KTS 2017 I am currently testing. I launched a pretty big payload at it and KTS did quite well actually it let about 10% through of non in the wild malicious code. Norton I can't say but I'd like to see the comparison for 2017 before I make my judgement. As pointed out KIS and or KTS and it's stock config will probably give you about the same results as Norton in the long run. Though both are in no way bullet proof nor do they stop some of the simple things you think they would. Norton is a bit better at stopping pups and other unwanted's so to speak I'd say, but that is from previous years of testing it.
Just out of interest did you test KTS on default settings?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.