Advice Request Norton vs Avast (paid versions)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Avast or Norton?

• Norton Security

Votes: 63 63.6%
  • Avast Pro/Suite/Premier

Votes: 36 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Well i cannot say bad things about Avast as they do have a good product. Yet while this might sound like i am a Symantec/Norton fanboy the fact is that Symantec has put together a seriously good line-up of solutions. Specially its Internet Security and End-point solutions are world class. Where rival programs might have a seriously good firewall but might lack removal capability or have a seriously good antivirus engine but lack for example Zero-day protection... Usually with other brands they always lack in some respect.
Symantec however has developed their solutions in such way that it really does not have such drawbacks or weak points.
Their solutions just have a near perfect synergy and you as the end user enjoy probably one of the very best protection suits available on the market. What i am saying is not that Symantec is the best and bla bla, but what they do have mastered into a art is the right balance between individual components within their products. Performance, Capability, Usability and so on its all there and it works. Their firewall is good, their AV engines are world class, and all other features are on top of their game as well.
So you want something that is doing exactly what it does promise without any fuzz and bla bla? Then Norton does fill that spot pretty darn good.
Something that cannot be said about the bulk of the programs out there.

On top of that most wonder why Norton does not use sandbox capabilities, well NEWS FLASH
Now that is another reason i can add to the endless list of reasons why i would stick with Norton because it does not matter if you like Symantec products or not. Their products are world class, reliable, easy to use, lightweight and in all honesty have been setting the bar for many in the past decade.
Everything else is just personal taste and preference because technology wise its all there.

On a side note: Most software preference's are usually feeling based and feelings do not protect your computer. I see so many users totally fixated at layers and you need to have this and that, and 90% of those fixated users just go by feeling. In my line of work i come across LOTS of people who get their "feeling" hurt at least twice a month.
Yet the funny part is amongsht those people you virtually never see a Symantec, Kaspersky or Sophos user. And if you eventually run into such a user then usually its not their software that did screw up, but its their own actions that caused the system to break.
My point here is that you deffo do not have to like a brand, but historical facts & achievements and real world performance speak louder then a whole list of fancy abilities that most brands feature.
So again let me be the evil man and just say: Don't just focus on detection rate and features.
And for heaven sake stop trying to come up with a exotic mix of security apps, because you are again looking for features that fuels the sense of security rather than the actual level of security (And again i am not saying that security apps are useless or bad). And if ram usage is a problem then just do yourself a favor calculate how much your security plugins, extentions and apps actually do use, then you will see that combined it uses many times more RAM then a solution from the 3 names i mentioned earlier. That said and the real kicker is that down the line (when all pro vs cons have been weighted) a package from Symantec, Kaspersky or Sophos (Or even Mcaffee lol) would smoke any exotic combo any day any time without being the best or have the highest score (component wise).

Ask yourself the question what protection you actually need? Do you really really need that fortknox type of security to stop that 1 in a trillion infections that is so bad it will force you to reinstall your pc? or what terrible danger are you shielding yourself against that Symantec, Kaspersky or Sophos cannot protect you against? Down the line it just means that if those programs cannot satisfy your security needs then it means you are exercising unhealthy computer habits, since if your computer habits are healthy then any of those programs will offer you much more security then you actually would need for your everyday browsing and computer needs.

Kind Regards,
Nico

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I thought it was sandbox analyzing stuffs in the cloud.

Do you mean sandbox in the product like users can run programs in the sandbox?

Norton Security Premium 2017 has a sandboxing mode whereby it will take installation files, then run and analyse them in an isolated virtual environment to check programs out before they're actually installed on the device in question. This ensures there are no nasty surprises from hidden malware.

D

Deleted member 2913

Norton Security Premium 2017 has a sandboxing mode whereby it will take installation files, then run and analyse them in an isolated virtual environment to check programs out before they're actually installed on the device in question. This ensures there are no nasty surprises from hidden malware.
Norton Security Premium 2017 - Sandbox will not be there in "Standard" & "Deluxe" versions But only in "Premium" version?

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Norton Security Premium 2017 - Sandbox will not be there in "Standard" & "Deluxe" versions But only in "Premium" version?
Um, are you asking or making statement.
Standard, Deluxe, *Premium differ by number of devices & *Backup.
Protection layers under-the-hood do not differ. *Premium includes premium family safety features.
Norton Security Premium - Virus Protection | Norton
and reference to 2017 is misnomer. Norton-as-a-Service offers protection & product updates as required, as available. Norton does not use year as designation despite reviewers. Symantec Norton Security Deluxe (2017)
current Norton Security version 22.8.0.50 (22.x since 2014 Norton Security - Wikipedia)

Last edited:

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
Norton is a solid product, but I'm going with Avast on this one. They have come so far since they first started becoming mainstream a few years back. Their products are lighter than Norton on my system, and have superb protection with Hardened Mode on Aggressive. Nowadays, I would choose Avast Free Antivirus over Norton as well.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Norton isn't that bad!! i don't get why people are hating on it :(
because there are 3 reasons from my experience with norton 2014. I used the 2013 version and 2014 still didn't solve the problems
1/ I got infected from a USB virus. norton didn't scan the USB although the virus was in the root folder. Autorun was off but when I opened the USB it infected my PC heavily. Norton was still silent. Then, I manually scanned the file by norton context scanner, it detected and removed the file in the USB didn't detect the infected files in my PC (full scan). It was a very old virus, propably from 2012/2013, got it from an internet cafe
other AVs could detect and save my PC as I tested (avira, avast and bitdefender)
2/ norton 2014 froze so many times. The only way to solve was to reboot. It used quite a lot of ram
3/ norton download insight was crazy. It blocked everything with less than 100 users according to their network

sorry norton fans :D norton was one of the worst AVs in my life

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
because there are 3 reasons from my experience with norton 2014. I used the 2013 version and 2014 still didn't solve the problems
1/ I got infected from a USB virus. norton didn't scan the USB although the virus was in the root folder. Autorun was off but when I opened the USB it infected my PC heavily. Norton was still silent. Then, I manually scanned the file by norton context scanner, it detected and removed the file in the USB didn't detect the infected files in my PC (full scan). It was a very old virus, propably from 2012/2013, got it from an internet cafe
other AVs could detect and save my PC as I tested (avira, avast and bitdefender)
2/ norton 2014 froze so many times. The only way to solve was to reboot. It used quite a lot of ram
3/ norton download insight was crazy. It blocked everything with less than 100 users according to their network

sorry norton fans :D norton was one of the worst AVs in my life
Sorry to hear that :( but I think Norton products have improved a lot in last years. I think insight and sonar are much accurate compared to these versions. and is also more stable and lighter.:rolleyes:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Sorry to hear that :( but I think Norton products have improved a lot in last years. I think insight and sonar are much accurate compared to these versions. and is also more stable and lighter.:rolleyes:
exactly, everyone has improved a lot for a few years except a few of them like avira
norton is a good product. Their technology is world-class and one of the best for business clients. However, consider its price, there are still better free and paid alternatives :D
I belive norton is one of the best in terms of firewall, banking protection and phishing thingy. Unforturnately, I think norton rely too much on their SONAR (which can be bypassed) and cloud AV but have pretty weak offline signatures
I don't know how norton AV behaves now but if I plug a USB with a virus sample in and the AV doesn't react although USB protection is enabled, it's a fail for me :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hmmm.....

Norton Security Deluxe has FW + BB + SB. In fact, ALL Norton security products have SB (auto-sandbox only), exploit protection etc.

Why should I stay with Norton instead of choosing Microsoft Windows Defender in Windows 10?

Avast Internet Security has FW + BB + SB (auto + manual sandbox). Other features include Secure DNS, anti-ransomware protection, aggressive Hardened mode etc

Does anyone knows how good is Norton against ransomware?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.