Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
no idea why people are voting for F secure, it has pretty much no features, no behavior module,, no firewall, no cloud.

Except that it has all those features with superb quality, minus the firewall, that isnt necessary considering how good the Windows Firewall is and how Deepguard works.

Btw, F-Secure is using the full Avira SDK ...

Source:
https://assets.prod.cms.avira.com/c...resources/SDK_Anti_malware_cross_platform.pdf (Avira engine)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

no idea why people are voting for F secure, it has pretty much no features, no behavior module,, no firewall, no cloud.

F-Secure has those things except the firewall. But I found it pretty average overall and it offered strange network latency issues. I also greatly disliked the lack of configuration and the pastel blue interface.

GDATA, especially at the Amazon price, tuned to maximum security is probably going to be the best a consumer can get. Especially with its third party, effective, granular firewall. Run Syshardener, install GDATA, slide protection up to maximum, and you are good to go. I always found WFW anemic at best and easily bypassed. (from a network guy perspective)

alv222

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
F-Secure has those things except the firewall. But I found it pretty average overall and it offered strange network latency issues. I also greatly disliked the lack of configuration and the pastel blue interface.

GDATA, especially at the Amazon price, tuned to maximum security is probably going to be the best a consumer can get. Especially with its third party, effective, granular firewall. Run Syshardener, install GDATA, slide protection up to maximum, and you are good to go. I always found WFW anemic at best and easily bypassed. (from a network guy perspective)
Well that offer is US only. Last time i've tried g data It was really heavy

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
In my opinion, with the exception of 360TS, all those listed security solutions are pretty good, you should try them for yourself and see how they run on your machine, they are all top solutions, maybe price could be the determinant factor.

alv222

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
In my opinion, with the exception of 360TS, all those listed security solutions are pretty good, you should try them for yourself and see how they run on your machine, they are all top solutions, maybe price could be the determinant factor.
Well 360 total security has a lot of functions like sandbox, software updater, driver updater, etc and a good HIPS

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019

It has one of the best behavior blockers out there, DeepGuard. https://www.f-secure.com/documents/996508/1030745/deepguard_whitepaper.pdf

It is cloud based in 3 different ways. It uses Avira's engine including the Avira Protection Cloud for cloud based hash checking, and DeepGuard also uses cloud lookup to determine whether or not your binary is well known (which changes how many bad actions a process can take before DeepGuard triggers). Finally there's a mysterious "F-Secure Online" cloud component too that they don't document as much.

It doesn't have a firewall, but that also means it doesn't have a buggy miniport kernel driver -- intercepting network traffic is one of the most common reasons for blue screens and network slowdowns from security suites

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019

Yeah I agree! Right now, I've personally settled on F-Secure for most of my machines (after seeing how well it's done both in mainstream tests as well as against my own homebrew ransomware/malware), with the exception of my Surface which is currently using Norton 360. I picked Norton there because it has a built-in VPN (and I got 20 licenses for $30.... that's hard to beat!) and a firewall. My Surface is the only Windows machine I have that moves around onto other networks... I felt better having a firewall. But with that said I'm not *as* impressed with Norton's protection level, though it is still relatively good.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Between these I would go for F-Secure. It has all mentioned features and I believe Windows firewall is good enough and F-Secure tunes it. And for me not everything is security and privacy matters too.

And my second choice would be Kaspersky. It is a little more heavy on the hardware but it provides you with a very good security.

I would not go with Norton mainly because of privacy issues and some issues that people had before and also it is more heavy on the hardware.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Of those I've used the following:

360 TS
I used it 3-4 years ago but stopped using because it became nagware, so many popups and cuestionable system optimization features

F-Secure Safe
It was my previous main line of defense but stopped using it, too many false positives especially with Safe Browsing and DeepGuard (behavior protection), the program can be easily killed from task manager if you have admin rights. It's really light on my system and scans are blazing fast.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2020
That's what I'm using currently and it offers a great balance between protection and system performance (assuming you have a relatively recent computer), its Web Protection module can block common infection vectors (phishing, malvertising, known exploits, etc) also their System Watcher combined with KSN cloud can catch most unknown malware (unless you're a high value target).

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Most important feature is rollback. Kaspersky nails the race easily.
G data, Norton give a very tough fight to him.
F secure is admirable. Looking at where it was few yrs back and now. Still needs some tuning and training @ Proactive clean up area.

Kaspersky : I don't know what witchcraft they use like black ✨🎩✨ magic.. Rolls back almost all the changes when a threshold is reached. Hats off to the Russian Programmers and Eugene.

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
I would go from GDATA, are the pioneers in security, F-Secure would be my second choice. Norton I do not recommend, I have tested a few times and always had problems with user account and error connecting to their server, hackers have already invaded their networks and leaked his source code, besides being americate (NSA), anyway, is not trustworthy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.