Troubleshoot Not a real problem, but I think it is weird none the less?

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Described in the post.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Mentioned in the post.
Not even sure if I should post this here in this forum, but here it goes.

Okay, over a month ago I uninstalled KSC Free because I wanted to try Ziggo Safe online from F-Secure. (And I like Ziggo Safe Online so far.) Now today I used a program called HiBit System Information so that I would have updated system information in case I need it. When I got to the Security Software part, I noticed this...

nVNYaRW.jpg

How can this be, I uninstalled it correctly, so what could be the reason for this? A friend of mine I spoke to on the phone this morning mentioned I should try this software, and see if it would help.

I tried it, and after that made a new System Information file with HiBit System Information, but it is still there? Now I know KSC Free is no longer on my PC, so I know it is not running, but it is weird. So I would like to ask if anyone else ever had this same problem, and can I simply ignore this?

Solution
I have the same experience and Kaspersky Product Remover doesn't solve it.

Used the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool Download as mentioned by @SeriousHoax here:

Maybe others can advise how to clean it not using a clean install or a backup image.

Or you just ignore it.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have the same experience and Kaspersky Product Remover doesn't solve it.

Used the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool Download as mentioned by @SeriousHoax here:

Maybe others can advise how to clean it not using a clean install or a backup image.

Or you just ignore it.

Upvote 2
Solution

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Not even sure if I should post this here in this forum, but here it goes.

Okay, over a month ago I uninstalled KSC Free because I wanted to try Ziggo Safe online from F-Secure. (And I like Ziggo Safe Online so far.) Now today I used a program called HiBit System Information so that I would have updated system information in case I need it. When I got to the Security Software part, I noticed this...

nVNYaRW.jpg

How can this be, I uninstalled it correctly, so what could be the reason for this? A friend of mine I spoke to on the phone this morning mentioned I should try this software, and see if it would help.

I tried it, and after that made a new System Information file with HiBit System Information, but it is still there? Now I know KSC Free is no longer on my PC, so I know it is not running, but it is weird. So I would like to ask if anyone else ever had this same problem, and can I simply ignore this?

Do you have already considered just asking the dev @HiBitSoftware he should be able to explain this part of his software...

Upvote 0

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It is possible, but I just used the Farbar method that Gandalf_The_Grey linked to, and it worked. There is no longer a mention of Kaspersky in the system information file, so thank you very much for the link Gandalf_The_Grey. :)
This is not Windows's problem. This is 100% the fault of Kaspersky. I have tested all the versions of their product and in my tests, each version now has this problem. None of them remove the Windows Security integration. I also had an issue with Kaspersky leaving a file named something like "Kaspersky_Upgrade_Launcher" including a scheduled task related to this. This issue is even older. This reminded me of Avast's overseer.exe's case. I hope someone notifies Kaspersky about this so that they can fix these issues ASAP. I also tested some other popular AVs and they had no such problem.
BTW, I don't know how the Farbar tool works. It kinds of unregisters those Windows Security entries without deleting them from the system. If you check the registry, you will see that Kaspersky-related entries are still there in Regedit even though they are not active anymore. It's possible to manually delete those entries from Regedit by changing the permission but it's not necessary. Besides, if you remove those entries before applying the Farbar fix then this will mess up everything and even Farbar won't be able to fix it for you.
Anyway, good to know Farbar did the job.

Upvote 0

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I also had an issue with Kaspersky leaving a file named something like "Kaspersky_Upgrade_Launcher" including a scheduled task related to this. This issue is even older.
That file and associated scheduled task always stay behind after uninstall. If you manually run that task (or when it's later run on it's own) it will remove itself right away and delete that file after next reboot. I usually do that each time after uninstall, but I guess that they could check if there is any installed Kaspersky software left and if not, remove both task and file after regular uninstall.

Upvote 0

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
That file and associated scheduled task always stay behind after uninstall. If you manually run that task (or when it's later run on it's own) it will remove itself right away and delete that file after next reboot. I usually do that each time after uninstall, but I guess that they could check if there is any installed Kaspersky software left and if not, remove both task and file after regular uninstall.
Ow, good to know. But it shouldn't be left behind by Kaspersky. It should be deleted by the default uninstaller. I don't see why it's left behind unless Kaspersky has explained the reason somewhere.

Upvote 0

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012

After your post I used UltraSearch to look for anything Kaspersky related on my PC and nothing is left behind, so the Farbar method from yesterday removed the last traces of KSC Free. :)

Upvote 0

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The Windows Security integration issue is not a typical leftover. Many AV left a few kb/mb files and a few non-problematic registry entries behind which is not hard to delete. But not removing itself as the active AV is a serious problem. In my case, Defender can't start after uninstalling Kaspersky. So the Kaspersky devs must fix this bug.

Upvote 0

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Do you try the latest version of:

Removal tool for Kaspersky applications (kavremover)​

Kavremover is a free tool for removing Kaspersky Lab applications that cannot be removed completely using standard Windows tools.

P.S: - It's the same file as Majorgeeks, so forget.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Ow, good to know. But it shouldn't be left behind by Kaspersky. It should be deleted by the default uninstaller. I don't see why it's left behind unless Kaspersky has explained the reason somewhere.
I agree, it would be better to remove it right away. I don't know why they leave it there, but I suspect that program is used to check for updates for various products. When KIS is removed, it doesn't check if it is last K's program and doesn't remove task and file. Later, when task is run it finds out that there is no other K program on system and it removes itself and file. They could also run task right after uninstall and it would delete itself but it could be problematic if restart from uninstaller happens right while task is running ( on slower systems it might run longer). At least that is "my reasoning" for that.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I use Registrar Registry Manager to search text "kaspersky" in Windows registry and then delete all the keys (selecting them all) with 1 click...
Thanks, didn't know about this program (y)

Optimal removal for me is now:
  1. Use the av's own uninstaller (Programs and Features).
  2. Use the Antivirus Removal Tool to scan for leftovers and optionally run the included av's official specialized uninstaller.
  3. Use the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to clean registered security programs.
  4. Use the Registrar Registry Manager to clean the registry
Makes you wonder why people use disk imaging software :D

Upvote 0

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I think/guess this is not a widespread issue, so it makes me wonder if it's really all the fault of Kaspersky...
I'm sure it is. Tried on my main PC and also on fresh VMs. KSC Free, KIS, KTS, KSC paid all versions had this issue here for me and also here by the OP. Among non Kaspersky products, tried AVG, Avast, Avira, BD, ESET, F-Secure, McAfee, Malwarebytes trial, Norton, Panda free and all of them properly cleaned the Windows Security integration after uninstalling.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.