NoVirusThanks ExeRadar Pro v2.7

Product name
NoVirusThanks ExeRadar Pro
Pros
  • - Very Light on system responsiveness
    - High level of protection given by well-thought features.
    - Very simple to use
    - Very responsive support team, very open to suggestions
CONS
- Beginners may find the numbers of alerts dissuasive, but this is the purpose of all Anti-Executable/HIPS.
BOTTOM LINE
ERP is a young but very well designed product, it will give you a high level of protection and control over the processes running on your system. I like its simplicity and lightness.
I highly suggest you to try it.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Homepage

Hi guys,

Today i will review NVT ExeRadarPro (aka ERP).

ERP is an Anti-Excutable, this kind of softwares monitors every processes/executable that start or run in your system, if one of them appears to be suspicious/malicious; depending the rules, it will block it or generate an alert and ask for your decision to allow/block the process.

Anti-executable are simpler than HIPS (which monitors a broader range of processes including DLLs)

Let's go for a tour (on my Win8 Pro x64)

1- Resources Usage

ERP uses only 2 processes, it is very light on my system responsiveness, that is a big "plus".

mNYFwuy.jpg

2- Interface & Tray Icon

ERP interface is quite simple and easy to use, you don't have to be a computer expert to use it. The tray icon shows some basic options.

tNoQSxx.jpg

Status

This tab, shows you the main status and informations about your version of ERP.

Processes

This tab shows you all active processes running on your system with detailed infos. A right click on a process display many options related to that process.

oBeDEqR.jpg

I like the "search hash on Virus Total " (Virus Total is a security website that scan online a uploaded process against 40+ antivirus engines to determine if it is malicious or clean), so ERP can check directly for you.

I also appreciate the "Terminate Process" in case of infection, you can kill malicious process that may hamper your accessibility to the system.

Blacklist

WfI2I8C.jpg

This tab will show you all the blocked processes then you can manage them.

Whitelist

WABT82P.jpg

Here will appear all the whitelisted (trusted) processes, once there the processes will not generate any alert anymore. You have some Sub-Tab:

- Command Line/Command Line (Wildcards): here you set the whitelisted processes via Command Line and also via Wildcards.
- Parent Proceses: Here will be shown the parent processes allowed to launch applications.
- Folders: if you trust a whole folder, you can add it here.
- No Hash Check: if you want avoid the hash check for some processes, this is the place where you add them.

Vulnerable Processes

Here ERP will displays all processes it deems vulnerable to infections, any processes here will be monitored even if you whitelist them (so they will always generate an alert if accessed).

FoYU1Vj.jpg

Tip: if you are an advanced user and you know how to differentiate a legit access from a malicious one, you can remove them from the list, so you will not have alerts from them anymore.[/color]
Andreas from NoVirusThanks said:
To not show an alert about a vulnerable process you can whitelist the entire commandline with the option "WhiteList Commandline" present in the alert dialog, an example of safe commandline strings:

C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe aepdu.dll,AePduRunUpdate
"C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Windows\system32\WerConCpl.dll", LaunchErcApp -resposepester

You can also whitelist the commandline string using wildcards, example:

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHCreateLocalServerRunDll {995C996E-D918-4a8c-A302-45719A6F4EA7} -Embedding
rundll32.exe C:\Windows\system32\hotplug.dll,HotPlugSafeRemovalNotification \\.\pipe\PNP_HotPlug_Pipe_1.{adfc1da9-d34a-4b4f-b8e4-ab7b28a6e987}

The above commandline strings can be whitelisted using wildcards in this way:

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHCreateLocalServerRunDll {*-*-*-*-*} -Embedding[/color]
rundll32.exe C:\Windows\system32\hotplug.dll,HotPlugSafeRemovalNotification \\.\pipe\PNP_HotPlug_Pipe_1.{*-*-*-*-*}

Quarantined Processes

Here goes the malicious processes quarantined by ERP, you can manage and remove them in case of False Positive.

ofGOZHd.jpg

Password Protect Passwords

Here you will set a Password and will need to use it to execute any processes you add there.
For example, you can set a password to deny anyone to launch a sensitive application/software/process.

LoUwfZR.jpg

Temporary Allow

Here will be displayed the processes allowed to to run until the next reboot; you will mostly use this tab for testing some processes.

guMkeaQ.jpg

Events

Here will be displayed all the recents events that ERP acted on. It is mostly an history of what happened on ERP.

0wt77gB.jpg

3- Settings

This is the options, it is divided into sub-sections, i will describe some of them below:

General

7z0489W.jpg

an interesting options is to allow ERP to allow all process automatically from Windows or Program Files folder; to minimize the number of prompts.

Advanced

vvbCqCc.jpg

this settings is mostly for block processes from external medias/drives, you can also allow all "signed softwares" to reduce the numbers of alerts.

Idle

here you can set ERP to perform an action in a selected time in case of inactivity.

Policies

here you can set ERP to be on Lockdown Mode (block any unknown processes not whitelisted) or Trusted Mode (allow any unknown processes not blacklisted)

Popups

Here you can set ERP to show the popups alerts when a process is blocked, for how long or exlude a process to generate a popup.

Password

here you will set a password to deny other users to modify your settings.

1IzRuQc.jpg

Protection

Here you will ser ERP to restore Realtime Protection or Lockdown Mode after a defined time if they are disabled.

Stealth Mode

Here you will set ERP to be invisible to other users via a hotkey and also lock CD-Roms while in Stealth Mode. useful if you don't want ERP to be known by other users (ex: school computers).

Quarantine

here you will set the path of the quarantined processes

Logs

Here you can allow the events logging, set the path of the log, and authorize it deletion on shutdown.

Sound

Here you can select a sound (system or custom) when a popup is made or when a process is blocked

Debug

Here you can generate a debug file , (mostly requested by ERP developers if you have an issue)

4- Utilities

Here are shortcuts to some Windows utilities.

LgcVWpc.jpg

i will update this post if new infos are available or if i missed something important.

Thanks to Andreas from NoVirusThanks for his complementary infos.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Review i did on another websites but updates & correction on work

Last edited by a moderator:

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
ERP and voodooShield two great AE. ERP is more for experienced users since it has more informative prompts. VoodooShield is kind of set and forget. It also has the ability to run process through VT. Which is very helpful in checking a process possible detection.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
We have spoiler tags now? Was hoping this would get put in place saves a lot of room on the boards.

Thanks for the great review once again Umbra!!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Im using v3 since few days, will update the thread when it will be officially released.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
No idea at all because it is not a public beta, more a pseudo closed one

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
These kinds of programs seem like a lot of trouble. Are they worth it?

I believe NoVirusThanks is a first-rate company.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.