Product name
NoVirusThanks OSArmor
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Very simple and response UI.
Settings can be hard to find for your avarage user.
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
2.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Being more of an anti-exploit rather than anti-malware, it can save you from malicous changes done by malware but cant block them from executing in the first place.
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Compatible with other anti-virus software
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Features are considered too basic
    • Not for beginners
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Not as many features as some competitors
    • Higher than average false positives
Time spent using product
Computer specs
Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube

Intel Core i5-6400
geForce GTX 1070
C: drive
Manufacturer: SanDisk
Interface: SATA
Capacity: 119 GB

D: drive
Manufacturer: Seagate
Interface: SATA
Capacity: 931 GB
Recommended for
  1. Experienced users
Overall rating
3.00 star(s)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
OSArmor vs. Malware: nice video. He tested with default settings? That's what you should do, but protection gets somewhat better (theoretically) if you enable more than that, like the Lockdown Experimental ones, which in turn trigger more false detections, which in turn are very irritating and awayyy we go. That's why it's not everyone's cuppa tea. My dearly, nearly-departed Sandboxie's motto: Trust no program.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
nearly departed? News?
Well....this is not concerning OSArmor. But to not reply wouldn't be gracious. So, I'll post reply under a spoiler. If moderators want to delete or move, it's understandable.

There's nothing outwardly wrong with Sandboxie, specifically build 531-2, that I know of. It's more a problem I (and others) have with Sophos and its lack of transparency in confirming or denying Sbie's continued support. Some info is here.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I don't run an anti-exe and OSArmor together, not because of conflicts but because of increase in false alerts and too many popups in general. They both have real-time drivers and it can get a little much. I've had slower startups/shutdowns running another anti-exe plus OSA. But either one is fantastic in conjunction with specifically Windows Defender and have small footprints in proportion to the security.

VS uses proprietary algorithms/AI and VirusTotal to determine an .exe's reputation. OSArmor is a software restriction/preset rules enforcer so it automatically blocks a process functioning outside some hard-coded, user defined parameters or going into otherwise off-limits user spaces. You don't get to decide, it's truly default-deny. If OSArmor alerts and it's legit, your machine is vulnerable and might already be infected. That's why I've hardened Defender with its self-sandbox, and a number of system modifications and policies.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Big Fan of OSA here, OSA managed to steal my interest from ERP.
I used to enable almost all advanced settings then add custom blocking rules, making it almost an SRP.
i love the fact that i can add tons of rules.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Blackice,

Do you prefer it to Syshardener and/or H_C?

I've tried and like all three..

Thanks.
I do, for the reason that it’s easier to know what options have been implemented and what to change. I like Syshardener, but it messed up powershell once when I tried to restore all to default and I wasn’t sure why (probably user error).

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

SH is just automated tweaks, those you could do manually, but it saves me lot of time when clean installing my systems.

OSA is a dynamic soft, and a very useful one for Locking down systems.

Both can be used together, in fact SH is mostly used once. Click and forget.

OSA allows granularity and completement greatly Win10 built-in security.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.