Now I'm trying Webroot with Thor Premium

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
You remember two weeks ago I was trying Cylance and Webroot, they ran very nicely together. I received and email from both companies saying yes, they would compliment one another.

So this week I decided to try Thor Premium, with Webroot. They seem to play nicely together. Webroot says there is no problem.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Webroot has never really had a good product. Every year... just new excuses as to why the product gets bypassed regularly.

Yes, that was reflected in its sales price.

If you look at the price and number of subscribers for Cylance -- a big premium was paid for the technology. Then look at the price and number of subscribers of Webroot. Basically, the tech had little value. The sales price was based on the income stream of the subscriber base.

Webroot has always been an abysmal product.

Even the usual cast of Webroot excuse-makers sometimes question the Webroot sucktitude.

I love that new excuse.... "Well it was not tested with some module that has not yet been included in Webroot...."

Too bad all the competing products have had those capabilities for years... for many years. And too bad about all the false claims Webroot has made over the year.... "most advanced..." blah blah blah

Maybe Carbonite will mercy-kill Webroot and move the subscriber base to something that is decent.

And then what will the Webroot Kool-Aid drinkers do? Who cares.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I used Webroot on my last PC (Windows 7 64-bit with a measly 3 GB of RAM) for the last 3 yr. because it was the only realtime AV that didn't bog down the system. It gave me a lot of false positives, especially regarding alternative browsers like Pale Moon and Chromium, but it only used 4 MB of RAM compared with over 100 MB for MSE. Since I've moved to a new laptop with more memory, I've been content with WD.

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
Carbonite overpaid tremendously for Webroot and nobody really knows why. Webroot consistently fails at tests, has lost it's top people, and has had a string of game-breaking bugs and exploits.

UNLESS..... Webroot has a secret sauce no one has figured out, thus providing the best protection ever.... "Red Pill, Blue Pill"

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
I used Webroot on my last PC (Windows 7 64-bit with a measly 3 GB of RAM) for the last 3 yr. because it was the only realtime AV that didn't bog down the system. It gave me a lot of false positives, especially regarding alternative browsers like Pale Moon and Chromium, but it only used 4 MB of RAM compared with over 100 MB for MSE. Since I've moved to a new laptop with more memory, I've been content with WD.

I'm telling you, it's in the sauce... The force is strong in this one.

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
Webroot has never really had a good product. Every year... just new excuses as to why the product gets bypassed regularly.

Yes, that was reflected in its sales price.

If you look at the price and number of subscribers for Cylance -- a big premium was paid for the technology. Then look at the price and number of subscribers of Webroot. Basically, the tech had little value. The sales price was based on the income stream of the subscriber base.

Webroot has always been an abysmal product.

Even the usual cast of Webroot excuse-makers sometimes question the Webroot sucktitude.

I love that new excuse.... "Well it was not tested with some module that has not yet been included in Webroot...."

Too bad all the competing products have had those capabilities for years... for many years. And too bad about all the false claims Webroot has made over the year.... "most advanced..." blah blah blah

Maybe Carbonite will mercy-kill Webroot and move the subscriber base to something that is decent.

And then what will the Webroot Kool-Aid drinkers do? Who cares.

They will get a new improved Webroot from carbonite... You don't think they spent that money for nothing do you?

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
From Memory, years ago.... Someone gave Boeing an airplane, it flew better than anything else, yet when Boeing tested the craft they couldn't figure out "HOW" it could even fly, let alone fly better than anything else they had on hand....

MAYBE this applies to Webroot also...?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
They will get a new improved Webroot from carbonite... You don't think they spent that money for nothing do you?

Well, the industry analysts hated the Webroot acquisition.

News highlights for last half year of Webroot:

1. Another kernel level flaw discovered.

2. Absolutely destroyed and once again exposed as the worst product of its type.

3. Sold to Carbonite, which caused the Carbonite stock to tank. All Carbonite shareholders curse the day they ever heard of inferior Webroot.

Yes, the stock tanked right at the announcement of the purchase of Webroot.

That's some secret sauce alright....

In comparison, BlackBerry's value has increased since the purchase of Cylance, which was sold at more than twice the price of woeful Webroot.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.