Status
Not open for further replies.

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
The U.S. National Security Agency knew for at least two years about a flaw in the way that many websites send sensitive information, now dubbed the Heartbleed bug, and regularly used it to gather critical intelligence, two people familiar with the matter said. [...]
Putting the Heartbleed bug in its arsenal, the NSA was able to obtain passwords and other basic data that are the building blocks of the sophisticated hacking operations at the core of its mission, but at a cost. Millions of ordinary users were left vulnerable to attack from other nations’ intelligence arms and criminal hackers.

“It flies in the face of the agency’s comments that defense comes first,” said Jason Healey, director of the cyber statecraft initiative at the Atlantic Council and a former Air Force cyber officer. “They are going to be completely shredded by the computer security community for this.” [...]

The NSA and other elite intelligence agencies devote millions of dollars to hunt for common software flaws that are critical to stealing data from secure computers. Open-source protocols like OpenSSL, where the flaw was found, are primary targets. [...]

[T]he NSA has more than 1,000 experts devoted to ferreting out such flaws using sophisticated analysis techniques, many of them classified. The agency found the Heartbleed glitch shortly after its introduction, according to one of the people familiar with the matter, and it became a basic part of the agency’s toolkit for stealing account passwords and other common tasks.

The U.S. National Security Agency knew for at least two years about a flaw in the way that many websites send sensitive information, now dubbed the Heartbleed bug, and regularly used it to gather critical intelligence, two people familiar with the matter said.
The NSA’s decision to keep the bug secret in pursuit of national security interests threatens to renew the rancorous debate over the role of the government’s top computer experts. [...]

Putting the Heartbleed bug in its arsenal, the NSA was able to obtain passwords and other basic data that are the building blocks of the sophisticated hacking operations at the core of its mission, but at a cost. Millions of ordinary users were left vulnerable to attack from other nations’ intelligence arms and criminal hackers.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
There seems to be a cyclical lack of conscience so similar to where the character, Bruce Wayne, finds himself at odds within the classic graphic novel "Batman: The Dark Knight". It is here, in a world so entrenched in violence & crime that in order to combat these rampant threats, he will descend into a transformation thus becoming, himself, the remorseless lone vigilante who must be even :eek:more monstrous and ruthless than those he must defeat, ..and that's just a comic book!o_O

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Signing up for a Google Account... or Yahoomail... or Facebook... searching via Google... using apps... social networking... would only mean one thing:

You're giving up your privacy to them. Some say even AV softwares are under NSA's schemes (is this true?)

What else could we do on the web, without their surveillance?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would imagine they very well could have known about it.However there are way too many people in the private sector that are probably more intelligent than those the NSA employ.By private sector I mean those who are employed in the Malware,security & computing sector.I am sure someone would have stumbled upon this sooner if the NSA already knew about it.
To play the devils advocate if I may,lets look at the author of the article Steven D and his group affiliations.Thinking maybe this news is not really based on fact.

http://www.dailykos.com/user/Steven%20D said:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I really don't think that the NSA is interested in an exploit where the information harvest is random and 64K at a crack. And consider exactly what data they could get- not exactly earth shaking. I'm sure that if you asked anyone in the TAO if they were behind or ever used Heartbleed they would be insulted.

And Exterminator has a very good point about Private Sector firms that make much of their cash by uncovering and selling exploits to subscribers (WhiteHat). Although there are many very talented people in the TAO, places like Endgame, ReVuln, and Exodus Intelligence do this for a living. Actually I've never understood why a very good hacker will want to unlawfully sell exploit info on the DarkWeb for peanuts instead of collecting a mid-6 figure bonus for doing the same thing legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.