Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
jjq_small_linkedin_contentfullwidth.jpg

Belgium's federal prosecutor is looking into accusations that the famous civilian cryptographer Jean-Jacques Quisquater was hacked by the American National Security Agency (NSA) and Britain's Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ).

The hacking apparently involved the use of a spoof LinkedIn email to snare the target and dupe him into downloading "a variant" of MiniDuke, an exploit that puts backdoors into the target's system without their knowledge.

The attack was first reported on Saturday morning by Flemish daily newspaper De Standaard.

A professor at the Université catholique de Louvain, Quisquater is one of the foremost civilian cryptologists in the world. He holds 17 different patents related to IT security, and is particularly noted for his ground-breaking work on payment security.

While revelations of the spying tactics of the NSA and GCHQ have caused a great deal of consternation among governments like those of Germany and Brazil, and private companies like Google and Facebook, this is the first time it has been suggested that a civilian academic has been the target of a malicious hack by the US spy agencies.

"The Belgian federal police (FCCU) sent me a warning about this attack and did the analysis," Quisquater told the press.
Asked what the purpose of the attack might have been, he replied: "We don't know. There are many hypotheses (about 12 or 15) but it is certainly an industrial espionage plus a surveillance of people working about civilian cryptography."

It seems the US and UK spy agencies were trying to stay one step ahead of civilian cryptographic academics by stealing data from their research.

In a public relations sense, this will be damaging, but in a legal sense this is indefensible: it will be especially hard for either spy agency to justify theft from academics in the name of national security.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So NSA isn't for Anti-Terrorism.., just abusing their power for being above the law.

Reactions: Petrovic

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It didn't stop new articles from using NSA in the title. ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Jean-Jacques Quisquater looks like a nice guy.They should have just asked him and he probably would have told them.If it is true then the US and UK should be permanently banned from the Université catholique de Louvain.
Like illumination pointed out "accusations". I can't help but make light of it because everyday it is something new about the NSA. I won't deny that they might be overzealous and some might abuse the power that has been entrusted to them but at some point you just have to laugh. Whats next "Toys R Us accused the NSA of placing spy chips in Barbie Dolls".

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm not allowed to speculate, hahaha. Pro-NSA fans are funny.

I

illumination

I'm not allowed to speculate, hahaha. Pro-NSA fans are funny.
They are ;) Just about as funny as the media/article fans :p :D

Why are you not allowed to speculate, you know something you just cant say cause it is a secret and if you tell, you will have to kill everyone? lol...

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
With all these articles about the NSA and their new partner in crime the GCHQ,it is only a matter of time before MT winds up on the radar. I am thinking we should form the MTSA,who knows we might even show up in a article or two.You never..........hang on 2 guys in suits are at my door,BRB

Reactions: illumination
I

illumination

With all these articles about the NSA and their new partner in crime the GCHQ,it is only a matter of time before MT winds up on the radar. I am thinking we should form the MTSA,who knows we might even show up in a article or two.You never..........hang on 2 guys in suits are at my door,BRB
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.