Number of Fake Antivirus Attacks Has Decreased Considerably, Researchers Say

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
The frequency of attacks that distribute fake antivirus software, a long-time pillar of the underground economy, has decreased considerably in recent months. However, security researchers warn that the industry is not yet dead and new versions of attacks continue to be released.

See full story here:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/242791/number_of_fake_antivirus_attacks_has_decreased_considerably_researchers_say.html

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
This is always a good thing. The less of them the more of Rootkits, but still they both are quite dangerous.

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
McLovin said:
This is always a good thing. The less of them the more of Rootkits, but still they both are quite dangerous.

Not to be rude, but i'm not sure how RootKits are better than FAKE AV's? :)

Fake Antivirus are easy to remove, where as rootkits are alot more dangerous and vigorious

If you don't mind, please explain your understanding as to unconfuse me! :)

It is good though, don't get me wrong, that the increase of Fake Antivirus has gone down, but it does not necessarily mean an influx in RootKits :)

Regards
- Josh

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Exorcizm said:
McLovin said:

Not to be rude, but i'm not sure how RootKits are better than FAKE AV's? :)

Fake Antivirus are easy to remove, where as rootkits are alot more dangerous and vigorious

If you don't mind, please explain your understanding as to unconfuse me! :)

It is good though, don't get me wrong, that the increase of Fake Antivirus has gone down, but it does not necessarily mean an influx in RootKits :)

Regards
- Josh

What I mean is that since Fake AntiVirus is going down other types of malware are getting bigger.

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
Wasn't it easier to say that? :D

and there haven't been any reports in increased malware yet in other fields, but ill stay updated with it to see..

:)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Fake Antiviruses are still a frequent pain in the butt though. Removing some of them are pretty easy with the right tools while some can take a lot of time. At least it's good to see that these Fake Antiviruses Attacks has decreased.
*sigh* :D

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
BoXX28 said:
Fake Antiviruses are still a frequent pain in the butt though. Removing some of them are pretty easy with the right tools while some can take a lot of time. At least it's good to see that these Fake Antiviruses Attacks has decreased.
*sigh* :D

I must second this! :D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
with Fake AV they make money, (step 1) to develop tricky and naughty rootkits (step 2) then create powerful botnets (step 3) to penetrate sensitive networks (step 4) and retrieve valuable datas (step 5) for reselling them and make more money (final step)

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
umbrapolaris said:
with Fake AV they make money, (step 1) to develop tricky and naughty rootkits (step 2) then create powerful botnets (step 3) to penetrate sensitive networks (step 4) and retrieve valuable datas (step 5) for reselling them and make more money (final step)

I'm not calling you a liar, but do you have anything to back this up?

I'd like to see for myself as i find that quite interesting, i'm sure McLovins post had nothing to do with knowledge of this as he stated

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Exorcizm said:
I'm not calling you a liar, but do you have anything to back this up?

I'd like to see for myself as i find that quite interesting, i'm sure McLovins post had nothing to do with knowledge of this as he stated

Yeah, it was the knowledge I knew off my head. Sorry for that :)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
umbrapolaris might not have any solid evidences but you need to take a look around at what's happening right now Josh. What umbrapolaris have told is what's happening over time.

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
BoXX28 said:
umbrapolaris might not have any solid evidences but you need to take a look around at what's happening right now Josh. What umbrapolaris have told is what's happening over time.

Too know this though, you would need to either be actually developing the Fake Antivirus and be in there little secret organisation, or know someone who does/has.... correct?

Otherwise how does one obtain the knowledge to know this "cycle"..?

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
It's because that umbrapolaris is paying attention to what's happening over the Cyber world. ;)

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
BoXX28 said:
It's because that umbrapolaris is paying attention to what's happening over the Cyber world. ;)

and the cyber world is full of news and updates and stuff, and for him to know, he wouldve seen something over the cyber world.

I'm asking him to link me to it ;)

Two can play at this game. lol :D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Exorcizm said:
or know someone who does/has.... correct?

:p

but lets thinking one moment, do a criminal organization will waste money and time just for annoying people and retrieve small amount of money?

compare it with bank robbing:

1- i need good guns, guns are expensive so i need money first by stealing people or robbing small shops (step 1)
2- then i buy heavy weaponry, AK47, M4, etc. (step 2)
3- then i recruit guys, because alone im not strong enough (step 3)
4- we rob the bank and take the money (step 4 & 5)
5- because money have number and will be blacklisted so i may be tracked, i need to exchange them for safer clean one and then rob a bigger bank (final step)

i dont need to show proof or evidence, i use what i know about cyber criminality, and i can deduct a processus.

of course most Fake AV creator dont go so far, but some do.

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
umbrapolaris said:
Exorcizm said:
or know someone who does/has.... correct?

:p

but lets thinking one moment, do a criminal organization will waste money and time just for annoying people and retrieve small amount of money?

compare it with bank robbing:

1- i need good guns, guns are expensive so i need money first by stealing people or robbing small shops (step 1)
2- then i buy heavy weaponry, AK47, M4, etc. (step 2)
3- then i recruit guys, because alone im not strong enough (step 3)
4- we rob the bank and take the money (step 4 & 5)
5- because money have number and will be blacklisted so i may be tracked, i need to exchange them for safer clean one and then rob a bigger bank (final step)

i dont need to show proof or evidence, i use what i know about cyber criminality, and i can deduct a processus.

of course most Fake AV creator dont go so far, but some do.

Okay umbrapolaris, i understand where you are coming from, my beef was with you stating in general that that's what Fake Antivirus' do. Yes some would use the money to make bigger bigger viruses, but i do not understand why you would spend money on something that doesn't get you any money back, (rootkits as you used as an example do not bring anything other than harm and worry to the user.) therefore i find it stupid for someone to do that, I've always personally thought viruses like Fake Antivirus' do what they do as a scam really, to scare the user into buying there product, and it's not a "little" bit of money, the way these programs work is enough for one brainy person to write, the software charged like 20 dollars American for the license, so even if 10 people bought it, that's 200 dollars to the creator. more than "a little money"..

i see we have different thoughts on this, and this is where we should leave this and agree to disagree :)

Nice Discussion :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
dont worry i will not make argues :D, but i see in long time and in a wide range.

rootkits make a silent breach in your system then they download other malwares; just for info, check what is TDL4 and Stuxnet and their purpose.

TDL4: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-TDL4-The-%E2%80%98indestructible%E2%80%99-botnet?highlight=stuxnet

stuxnet:

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Duqu-Stuxnet-2?highlight=stuxnet

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-The-Future-of-Warfare?highlight=stuxnet

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-About-Stuxnext-HUNGRY-BEAST?highlight=stuxnet

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
imagine an "organization" ( or country) having enough resources to get a variant of TDL4 coupled with Stuxnet...

that is not James bond movies, it is real...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.