Nvidia Ampere Flagship GPU Reportedly Features Up to 24GB GDDR6X and 350W TDP

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
To keep the ball rolling with the latest Nvidia Ampere leaks, German news outlet Igor's Lab has enlightened us with new and juicy details on Nvidia's next-generation GeForce RTX graphics cards. While Igor has reliable sources in the industry, it's still prudent to approach the information with a bit of caution.

As wacky as the design might seem, the alleged photographs of the GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition are apparently real. Igor's sources have confirmed to the publication that Nvidia has reportedly launched an internal investigation to find the rat. Foxconn and BYD (Build Your Dreams) are the current suspects, since Nvidia contract those manufacturers to build the Founders Edition cooler.

Surprisingly, Igor has reason to believe that not even Nvidia's own product and sales manager knew about the new design for Ampere Founders Edition graphics cards. Now that the cat is out of the bag, Nvidia might have to go back to the drawing board to redesign the cooler so that it retains that "wow" element when the chipmaker officially launches Ampere.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Great for 3d stuff and graphics workload but for gaming is super overkill unless you are running multi 4k or 8k. 350 WATTS POWER CONSUMPTION!
How is it overkill ?
DLSS 3.0 and that 3-5+ plus Ray tracing performance uplift would make full scene Ray tracing nearly possible .
Unfortunately we're still far from realistic physical simulations in real time but the future is bright none the less.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
How is it overkill ?
DLSS 3.0 and that 3-5+ plus Ray tracing performance uplift would make full scene Ray tracing possible.
Unfortunately we're still far from realistic physical simulations in real time but the future is bright none the less.

Ray Tracing is a scam right now. I doubt 2nd gen RTX will improve a lot over 1st gen RTX. RTX impact performance a lot like 50%.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Ray Tracing is a scam right now. I doubt 2nd gen RTX will improve a lot over 1st gen RTX. RTX impact performance a lot like 50%.
From the leaks that work on the new gpu report a massive increase in such workloads from the architecture itself .
Hopefully even low end cards will have rtx 2080 like performance in that specific workload.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Major card sag, anyone? This is a monstrosity! 😱 Let's see if this one is actually going to come out to consumers.

Image shown in TPU article, enlarged a little, comparing to RTX 2080 Founders Edition:

bymMl7N5mt04y4SA_thm.jpg

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Major card sag, anyone? This is a monstrosity! 😱 Let's see if this one is actually going to come out to consumers.

Image shown in TPU article, enlarged a little, comparing to RTX 2080 Founders Edition:

View attachment 245470
It probably will come out, but somewhere around $1,500-2,000 USD.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
This sounds more like a card for real time raytracing than the previous generation. Raytracing with global illumination and caustics will eat up your RAM instantly. I think we will reach the point where GPUs will have more RAM than the main board because that's the only way to make true raytracing happen. The volumes of data for lighting will be 50% of your performance. This is why so many developers have shied away from ever using it. It's hard to explain to your team why you would spend 50% of your computing budget on lighting and it still doesn't make much sense when you could spend that 50% on bigger worlds, more content, better textures, geometry or effects that look indistinguishable from raytracing.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

It seems the above image is confirmed for the RTX 3090 Founders Edition and air-cooling the device is optimized. (y)

Still unsure about the recommended psu requirements--someone said 850 watts, another said: no, not that much.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
In parallel with high-performance graphics cards, I would like you to focus on developing small products that do not require auxiliary power. I am concerned that in the near future the size of the graphics card will be the same as the motherboard.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
In parallel with high-performance graphics cards, I would like you to focus on developing small products that do not require auxiliary power. I am concerned that in the near future the size of the graphics card will be the same as the motherboard.
Good observation, mate, the only ones who can reduce the size of the graphs are the Japanese. (y)
They already did it with the watch batteries.:D

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
show-zi, NVIDIA is well past the point of being driven by what the consumer might want. Rather, it drives the various markets. These massive cards, I bet they're going to drive up demand for all kinds of things: monitors, mainboards, power supplies, etc. Maybe even Legos.

That's why I mentioned card sag earlier. It's an embarrassing eye-sore if one is afflicted. Terrible. People use Legos to prop their gpu up. String, whatever.

I'm backing off 3xxx, I was kind of interested in the 3070 at one point. Thought I would snag a 2080 Super on sale seeing as Ampere is coming out very soon. But guess what? All sold out! :mad:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Good observation, mate, the only ones who can reduce the size of the graphs are the Japanese. (y)
They already did it with the watch batteries.:D
Japan seems to have succeeded only in shrinking the economy these days.🥴
...Long time no see. How are you? :D🤚
show-zi, NVIDIA is well past the point of being driven by what the consumer might want. Rather, it drives the various markets. These massive cards, I bet they're going to drive up demand for all kinds of things: monitors, mainboards, power supplies, etc. Maybe even Legos.

That's why I mentioned card sag earlier. It's an embarrassing eye-sore if one is afflicted. Terrible. People use Legos to prop their gpu up. String, whatever.

I'm backing off 3xxx, I was kind of interested in the 3070 at one point. Thought I would snag a 2080 Super on sale seeing as Ampere is coming out very soon. But guess what? All sold out! :mad:
I'm with you. I feel that the core of the pc configuration is the graphics card, not the motherboard. Even so, it's too big. Mother cannot support it. In Japan, there are many users who use chopsticks to support their cards.🥢
DKZNOMEVAAEdVIm.jpg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

It seems these big gpus do come with backplates to help prevent sagging. Good.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Dedicated stays for supporting cards are also on sale. If there is no back plate, I think it would be more conscientious if such stays were included as an accessory to the product.
With the growing size of graphics cards, I think the new standard for motherboard size should also be considered.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I wonder if these things will grow enough that they will come in an external case with its own power source and connect to the computer through a port...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.