Nvidia Ampere Flagship GPU Reportedly Features Up to 24GB GDDR6X and 350W TDP

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
lmao that size. You can't tell me that the screws are enough to hold that weight.

Yes, this is concerning. Earlier in this thread, we were discussing the various ways to keep the pressure off the mounting screws by using chopsticks, Legos and whatnot. Also, card sag is an eye-sore to the nth degree.

It seems Zotac for one is providing supportive back-plates for these monsters. Also, it's reported on its PR page that Zotac will be among the first to come out with the initial versions of its 3xxx series--in "mid September." Hmmm, that's technically in just a few days. We shall see. 😐

I'm either going EVGA or NVIDIA Founders Edition. I guess personal experience plays a big role in brand loyalty.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
maybe the 3080 FE Edition for the first time

This is something high end, from what I've read. But, it's not affordable for probably many--myself included. If a 3070 Super sells for 650 USD or so, I'll be grateful. I'm also replacing my 1080p 60 Hz monitor w/144Hz refresh, so both will go over 1000 USD. Yo, Trump, where's that stimulus check, man?

So, here's more news but not directly about 3090. Hopefully not much off-topic. 🙏

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
It's official! rtx 3080 is released to the public!

There is a large retailer in my area, always with the latest in stock! Have a look.

sold out.PNG

What's encouraging is that the retail price is not as much as I'd thought. So perhaps the 3070 Super will be comparatively more affordable still. Let's see if the rtx 3090 will follow suit. This is going to retail for double the cost of the 3080.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
in my area germany, no chance to get an order....amazon and mindfactory without stock goods.
maybe 5 cards @ alternate and caseking sold in seconds. but the greatest disappointment is nvida itself....they changed
on their website instantly from "get a notification" to "out of stocK"....nice paperlaunch :cry:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
NVIDIA is on fire. 🔥👩‍🚒 Even the NVIDIA forum thread dedicated to the 3080 is down for new posts, at least at the moment.

1500USD, I bet you the 3090 sells out almost as quickly.

750 USD for a 3080 is a little over my affordability limit. But the 3070 Super (or ti)--let's make it happen. (y) Here's to investing in another 4 years with a new gpu. 🥂💫✨

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Here are some more details about the travesty that was/is the rtx 3080 launch.

Unbelievable. I wonder how many gambled on ready availability, sold their current gpus to get the money and then couldn't get the new card?

Anyway, this details a little bit about the bot-buying mechanism that vacuums up as many rtx 3080 gpus as it could.

You won't believe how much one 3080 went for on ebay. The retail price is 699-750 USD, depending on partner. Now I wonder if this is going to happen again when the rtx 3090 comes out or has NVIDIA already put some systems in place?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Yes, this is concerning. Earlier in this thread, we were discussing the various ways to keep the pressure off the mounting screws by using chopsticks, Legos and whatnot. Also, card sag is an eye-sore to the nth degree.

It seems Zotac for one is providing supportive back-plates for these monsters. Also, it's reported on its PR page that Zotac will be among the first to come out with the initial versions of its 3xxx series--in "mid September." Hmmm, that's technically in just a few days. We shall see. 😐

I'm either going EVGA or NVIDIA Founders Edition. I guess personal experience plays a big role in brand loyalty.

It seems that supporting parts are included. Even so, it's hugeo_O

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
It seems that supporting parts are included. Even so, it's hugeo_O

show-Zi, that card in the video is bodacious! It almost looks like a mistake that shouldn't be there. :D

I totally forgot about mining! For folding and mining you would think the 3090 would mop the floor BUT it has a huge power demand. Here's some info from TechPowerUp.

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
From what I saw, if I understood correctly, comparing turing’s and ampere’s PURE ray tracing performance the uplift was not that impressive! IIRC it was somewhere between 20-30% when comparing rtx 2080ti to 3080 (again I’m talking about ray tracing performance) which is somewhat disappointing (after all the hype) as we needed something like maybe 100% better to accelerate new games adopting this impressive technology! As ray tracing hit the fps really hard! but the future is bright for ray tracing, and we’re really thankful for DLSS 2.0
however, the new cards as a whole are , much much more powerful than the previous generation!

but anyway, if someone reading this thinking about buying one of these cards I think they should wait a month and see what AMD and it’s Big Navi have ! I think they have something really good coming, they’ve been quiet (not typical for AMD) not from weakness I think, but because they’re confident! Because they might have anticipated the leap nvidia has in store!

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Oh WOW. Well, it wasn't too surprising and people everywhere were urging caution in jumping too quickly on these gpus. Still, this is bad news. You don't want to be having to underclock anything, not even 1 MHz, in order to avoid crashes.

So glad I committed to a lower-end gpu (3070 Super/Ti, due mid 2021). 😬:whistle::coffee:

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
Well, let us wait and see AMD taking advantage of this and maybe pulling another “ryzen” situation .. nvidia have crossed the lines with prices and it needs some competition.
I have a feeling in 2021 I’ll be swapping nvidia for AMD 😁.

P.S: That is of course depends on whether the year 2020 has a grand finale in store or not - maybe aliens or white walkers, hey maybe it’ll be the time when the orcs invade us -in that case I call dibs🤚 on pushing Frodo off that cliff.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
NVidia could have launched the first drone/gpu hybrid with that design :)

Anyway, I've heard Cthulhu has canceled his return this year... something about the stars and the planet being all wrong...

On a more serious note I avoid jumping to new software/hardware on launch day whenever possible. It's not the first time we have seen brand new top of the line hardware showing serious problems. Remember the exploding Samsung and Apple phones a few years ago?

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Oh WOW. Well, it wasn't too surprising and people everywhere were urging caution in jumping too quickly on these gpus. Still, this is bad news. You don't want to be having to underclock anything, not even 1 MHz, in order to avoid crashes.

So glad I committed to a lower-end gpu (3070 Super/Ti, due mid 2021). 😬:whistle::coffee:
Just wait till we hear about the driver problems with AMD’s RDNA2 cards. If anybody can have a messier launch than NVIDIA it’s AMD.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.