Nvidia announces RTX 2000 GPU series with ‘6 times more performance’ and ray tracing ($1,199)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Nvidia is unveiling its new GeForce RTX 2000 series of graphics cards at Gamescom in Germany today. While we’ve seen a number of teasers and plenty of card leaks recently, the GeForce RTX 2080 is finally official. Based on Nvidia’s new Turing architecture, the RTX 2080 is designed to succeed the popular GTX 1080 and push new real-time ray-tracing effects in upcoming games.

At Nvidia’s event, the company is unveiling the RTX 2070, RTX 2080, and RTX 2080 Ti. Nvidia is promising “up to 6X the performance of previous-generation graphics cards,” and real-time ray tracing for these cards. Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, PNY, and Zotac will all have RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti cards available for preorder today, with cards available on September 20th. RTX 2070 cards will start at $499, with RTX 2080 at $699, and the RTX 2080 Ti starting at $999.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Why Nvidia’s Turing GPUs are so intense

Ray tracing is a term you’re going to hear a lot now that Nvidia has announced professional and consumer graphics cards that use this technique to produce some of the most life-like simulations possible in games and other animations. So, what is ray tracing exactly, and how does it differ from current graphics rendering techniques?

The oversimplified answer is that ray tracing models the behavior of light in real time as it intersects objects in a scene.

It’s a feature that could lead to spectacular new graphics, but has been very hard to pull off because of the computational requirements. But Nvidia is tackling several issues facing ray tracing with a new graphics architecture known as Turing.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

Personal Note: I'm not buying an RTX anytime soon. Hence, ergo, therefore, I'm crazy. o_O Comments following are worthwhile.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Personal Note: I'm not buying an RTX anytime soon. Hence, ergo, therefore, I'm crazy. o_O Comments following are worthwhile.

Considering the heavy performance penalty while playing with raytracing on, I guess it is better to be "crazy" :D

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Sometimes I'm glad I'm glad I'm not a gamer, I have a friend who is & PC life for him seems stressful - therefore I have a humble 2 GIG Nvidea card designed in 1959 & uses valves (tubes) & 2 germanium transistors (add ons) but manages to run my quite high res monitor as long as I don't move the mouse pointer to fast.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.