AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
What's the best place to come up with a rock solid list of Trusted Publishers for NVT ERP? I want the pop ups to mean more and so happen less.

Does making the list long slow down a PC substantially?

Reactions: DardiM

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Is NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro still in active development. It's last update date on the site is 17 March 2014. I tried to contact them on NoVirusThanks Contacts i.e all the 3 emails here, and still no response from one week. Is their support alive and if yes then are they on holidays that they are not responding.

Reactions: DardiM

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
the software is not in active development.

best policy with trusted publishers is to keep it short and to the point. It should contain microsoft in its various iterations, and also your drivers, and anything else solid and reliable that you need to update behind the scenes without hitch.
For instance, your AV, and google and/or mozilla.

Last edited:
Reactions: DardiM and AtlBo

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
So is it safe to keep using this software since I have a lifetime license of it. I wanted to change my email-id so I contacted them but no response from one week.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So is it safe to keep using this software since I have a lifetime license of it. I wanted to change my email-id so I contacted them but no response from one week.
it still works great on all versions of windows. It doesn't require any further development in order to do its job.

As you might already know, the vulnerable processes list (and the other special lists, such as the blacklist) identify files by hash. So after a windows update, the hash might change for some of those files. Powershell is a good example of this, because microsoft is actively developing it.
But you can easily update the default vulnerable processes list by right-clicking in it, and choosing the option for reset to default. This will force it to find those files again, and thereby update the hash.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Still, so it won't be developed more or any such news. In future would they start developing it again coz many people who have purchased lifetime license would want this software to be developed actively.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Still, so it won't be developed more or any such news. In future would they start developing it again coz many people who have purchased lifetime license would want this software to be developed actively.
the dev is busy with other things, and may or may not come back to this software. There are lots of people who want to see him come back, but so far, it hasn't happened.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
But the people who pay for lifetime license, they should get support in return right. How can the developer just stop developing the software. Then why people pay for lifetime license and developer offers it at first. This is not right, right? And yes, this software doesn't need to be updated much still they should at least offer support and respond to emails. It's like they have really gone now... Not good thing done by such developers. There should be other people, too, to support him develop the software.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
best policy with trusted publishers is to keep it short and to the point. It should contain microsoft in its various iterations, and also your drivers, and anything else solid and reliable that you need to update behind the scenes without hitch.
For instance, your AV, and google and/or mozilla.

Ok thanks shmu26. I am using settings I feel less than ideal right now compared to Umbra's setup. I ran NVT for a few hours when I installed it, then I unchecked "MS Windows system protected..." and "Allow all software from Program Files...". Then for signed I have "Allow only signed by Trusted vendors". So I have quite a number of allowed Windows processes...looks like around 100 that were allowed before I changed the "Allow Windows..." setting. This seems fairly effective, but lockdown is tempting.

This installation of Windows is maybe a week old. I have been protected with Comodo Firewall/360 TS, so should I be worried to go to Umbra's setup? As he suggests, it must be done on a clean system.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Ok thanks shmu26. I am using settings I feel less than ideal right now compared to Umbra's setup. I ran NVT for a few hours when I installed it, then I unchecked "MS Windows system protected..." and "Allow all software from Program Files...". Then for signed I have "Allow only signed by Trusted vendors". So I have quite a number of allowed Windows processes...looks like around 100 that were allowed before I changed the "Allow Windows..." setting. This seems fairly effective, but lockdown is tempting.

This installation of Windows is maybe a week old. I have been protected with Comodo Firewall/360 TS, so should I be worried to go to Umbra's setup? As he suggests, it must be done on a clean system.
Umbra is a total hard-core ultra-paranoid, he is King of the lockdown philosophy, and he definitely knows what he is doing and why he is doing it. But you don't need to do everything he does. But if you want to, and you enjoy it, so go for it!

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I see. Thanks for the advice. I think I will stay with this setup as it is then.

Reactions: shmu26 and DardiM
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.