Battle NVT EXE Pro 4 vs VoodooShield vs AppGuard

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Appguard isn't an anti-exe, it's an SRP
I prefer Voodoshield over NVT EXE Pro cause it denies based on its own AI results and Virustotal results, while EXE Pro is just denying cause something isn't whitelisted

you might also want to look at SecureAPlus, it's like Voodooshield but no AI.

GData vs Norton, i would go with Norton.

with GData, grab either SAP or VS, you balance the late bitdefender signatures with the VT results.
with Norton, hmm.. i'm not sure if you need anything, I would throw SAP next to it probably

bare in mind VS's AI will generate a lot of false positives.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
NVT and VS are your only anti-exe's. AppGuard is SRP. Software Restriction Policy. Software Restriction Policies Technical Overview

Between the three, I would personally choose AppGuard and go the SRP route.

Now between NVT and VS, its a toss up. Both perform and do their jobs well.

I would recommend trying out NVT and VS (not at the same time of course). See which you like using better.

security.paranoid

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 6, 2014
@mekelek what is an SRP is it like comodo default deny ? fyi i'm an IT engineer with a lt of experience this is why i'm looking for a product that I can custom most of its features , is it true that voodoo use the cloud to check AI

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
@mekelek what is an SRP is it like comodo default deny ? fyi i'm an IT engineer with a lt of experience this is why i'm looking for a product that I can custom most of its features , is it true that voodoo use the cloud to check AI
You're an IT engineer with a lot of experience and you don't know what SRP is?

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I say NVT EXE Pro 4.App guard is not an anti-ExE. its default deny protection(its SRP and more advanced than anti-Exe since it has memory protection)!vs don't monitor commands that execute with every process but ERP monitors every action by a process so to me it's better and more effective.the only advantage with vs is Cuckoo Sandbox..
its windows inbuilt protection by Microsoft.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Sonar does everything. Very strong firewall. No need for additional apps with Norton. I am currently using Norton and its super fast like kaspersky with detecting 0 day malware.
I'm going to have to disagree here Norton isn't in Kaspersky's league. KIS has a better bb, Application control, TAM. It's better than Norton on it's worst day. Back to OP SRP = Software Restriction Policies. An IT engineer with a lot of experience should definitely know that. My 11 year old son knows that.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I'm going to have to disagree here Norton isn't in Kaspersky's league. KIS has a better bb, Application control, TAM. It's better than Norton on it's worst day. Back to OP SRP = Software Restriction Policies. An IT engineer with a lot of experience should definitely know that. My 11 year old son knows that.
Sorry i disagree. Tested both and Norton,s sonar is really Awesome . But then i simply dont like Kaspersky.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Appguard is great protection but it is expensive, and you really need to know how to configure it. A mistake in configuration is easy to do and can mess things up. So only go for Appguard if you are dedicated. It is not an install and forget type of app.
Voodooshield is the opposite: it is meant to work out of the box with a minimum of fussing and learning curve.
ERP is in the middle.

No sense arguing about the exact definitions -- they all are excellent protection, whatever you want to call them.

You might want to consider Hard_Configurator, which is a GUI for native Windows software restriction policy. It is free, super-light, and should not be hard for someone with an IT background.

security.paranoid

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 6, 2014
Appguard is great protection but it is expensive, and you really need to know how to configure it. A mistake in configuration is easy to do and can mess things up. So only go for Appguard if you are dedicated. It is not an install and forget type of app.
Voodooshield is the opposite: it is meant to work out of the box with a minimum of fussing and learning curve.
ERP is in the middle.

No sense arguing about the exact definitions -- they all are excellent protection, whatever you want to call them.

You might want to consider Hard_Configurator, which is a GUI for native Windows software restriction policy. It is free, super-light, and should not be hard for someone with an IT background.
thanks i'll try HC ^^

Reactions: Tiny

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.