Security News NZ Airport Travelers Forced to Surrender Device Passwords, Data Copied by Govt

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
New Zealand airport customs agents force thousands of travelers every year to hand over the passwords for their devices, in some cases inspecting files and even copying the data for the government.

Though this sounds like a severe privacy violation, the so-called digital strip search is performed without a court order as the customs agents claim to adhere to the country’s privacy act, which allows them to perform searches on people perceived as possible threats to national security.

Data obtained by New Zealand's 1

news channel reveals that agents can perform a quick or a much more extensive search, with one passenger explaining that he had to spend no less than 5 hours until all his data was analyzed. In some cases, the customs officers can create backups of travelers’ data and then pass it along to the government and law enforcement for closer inspection.

Full Article. NZ Airport Travelers Forced to Surrender Device Passwords, Data Copied by Govt

Dean Winchestere

Level 2
Verified
Mar 9, 2017
Whenever I travel, I wipe all email and device data, use a temporary gmail/login and phone password and restore the real one from google and cloud services via encrypted vpn when I arrive, (and comply with password requests) Therefore they cannot and will not breach my privacy even if they try (and appear cooperative). I also put a lock on my sim card (and carry a spare) that requires a pin to be accessed. It is sad that we have to go to this length to protect our privacy.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
From the link

Intelligence Investigations Customs general manager Jamie Bamford says that customs agents have the necessary means to crack the encryption of devices protected with a password if owners do not agree to unlock them themselves.

So they can break the password of iPhones too?

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

If you never travel to NZ, then why fret about it ?

In the United States any Customs agent has always had the power to search & seize without a warrant. This is actually the case for Customs agents from many countries.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.