Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The administration under president Obama thinks that those who commit cybercrimes should be held more responsible for their actions, current laws being too soft.

Pablo Martinez was quoted by the Ye Olde Soapbox blog as saying that maximum sentences for these illegal activities should better keep up with the amount of damage caused by them.

As a Secret Service Deputy Special Agent in Charge, Martinez revealed that "Online criminals organize in networks, often with defined roles for participants, in order to manage and perpetuate ongoing criminal enterprises dedicated to stealing commercial data and selling it for profit."

"Secret Service investigations have shown that complex and sophisticated electronic crimes are rarely perpetrated by a lone individual," Martinez further went.

He appeared along with Associate Deputy Attorney General James Baker in front of the Senate's Judiciary Committee to discuss potential modifications made to the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act regarding the penalties for illegal online activities.

"As computer technology has evolved, it has become a key tool of organized crime," Baker said.

He also believes that "Many of these criminal organizations are similarly tied to traditional Asian and Eastern European organized crime organizations."

Read more

I

illumination

Jack said:
The administration under president Obama thinks that those who commit cybercrimes should be held more responsible for their actions, current laws being too soft.

I agree, just because it is done behind a screen, does not mean it is not just as devastating...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The penalties must be higher in fines and make it in death penalty if its possible.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So cybercriminals may think first before they will perform any operation.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
This is a very good thing. It's bad enough as it is. If steps aren't taken, it won't take long before nobody wants to use the internet.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I can say its my opinion but probably there are more solution for the penalties beside for the dead penalty.

I think most of the people don't want death penalty. (Probably)

D

Deleted member 178

the best penalty is cutting all their fingers and tongue so they cant use any computer anymore mouhahahaha :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
umbrapolaris: Its like similar here in Saudi Arabia, some case have a penalty to be beheaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.