App Review Of Worms, USB Drives, and Qihoo

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Nice video @cruelsister disappointed that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware missed that one...

Don't be. They are not interested in worms. Plus it's one big reason they are never ready to replace AVs.

Note: To date, I only knew 3 types of worms that they can detect based on actual PC disinfection. Sampo, Andromeda and a few strains of Ramnit. VBS worms gets pass them, unlike AVs today that catches them via behavior blocking.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Theys should be as explained in www.cisco.com
"Viruses, worms, Trojans, and bots are all part of a class of software called malware."

But they don't.

BTW, I use malware as a catch all term and worm to be a little specific.

Anyway i've stopped using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware recently as its not needed in my config.

ditto

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Switch to SMADAV... it way better

Any specific reason why? It looks more like a companion AV compared to MCshield being a AV specifically for USB malware (therefore the resource usage should be lower). Plus I already have Zemana AM as my companion AV :p

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Any specific reason why? It looks more like a companion AV compared to MCshield being a AV specifically for USB malware (therefore the resource usage should be lower). Plus I already have Zemana AM as my companion AV :p

Its only 1~2mb usasge, technically its both
Smadav is an additional protection (second layer) antivirus, and specialize in protecting USB Flash-disk to avoid virus infection.
It has much more features compared to MCshield you can read it in there site.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
About MCSield and SMADAV- although both products would protect, delete, and reverse damages from the worm, SMADAV has the added advantage(?) of disabling Windows Script Host by default.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
In the malware hub i notice that Qihoo is very often one of the first vendors to detect fresh malware on VirusTotal. If the file has 12/60 detection Qihoo is likely one of them.
Qihoo has the benefit of early detection because of its AI thingy (though not exactly an AI).
That's why many a times you'll find it detect things that many others don't at that time. Not to be little it, it's quite good actually.
It does skip a few tough ones and its also seen raising an FP on good files quite a few times, that are rather flagged clean/undetected by other AVs on VT.

Reactions: Thirio

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Qihoo has the benefit of early detection because of its AI thingy (though not exactly an AI).
That's why many a times you'll find it detect things that many others don't at that time. Not to be little it, it's quite good actually.
It does skip a few tough ones and its also seen raising an FP on good files quite a few times, that are rather flagged clean/undetected by other AVs on VT.
For a free product it is indeed quite good. Their heuristics catch a lot of unknowns and they have a large user base. According to them they say they have "584 million users protected worldwide" on their homepage. Isn't that larger than Avast right now? And it looks like its keeping up with Kaspersky on the latest malware packs. For example here it beat Kaspersky as it doesn't have a signature for this file yet:
Antivirus scan for d6e70c166976fa31bd0cacaad4b69be8929309d9fc159f11759554c3392552d7 at 2017-03-14 13:51:42 UTC - VirusTotal

It's tempting for me to switch when I see good results like that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.