Office Depot, Best Buy Pull Kaspersky Products From Shelves

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Both Office Depot and Best Buy have removed Kaspersky Lab products from shelves. The ban has been in effect since mid-September, and the two chains are offering existing Kaspersky customers replacement security software.

The first store to remove Kaspersky products from shelves was Best Buy, on around September 8. At the time, the FBI was pressuring the private sector to cut ties with the Russian antivirus maker, which was the subject of a Senate Intelligence Committee on the suspicion it may be collaborating with Russian intelligence agencies. Kaspersky vehemently denied all accusations.

A week after Best Buy removed Kaspersky products from shelves, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issued a Binding Operational Directive published ordering the removal of Kaspersky Lab products off government computers.

A day later, Office Depot announced a similar decision to ban the sale of Kaspersky products in its stores.

Best Buy, Office Depot offering replacement software

The two companies are running similar offers to have support staff remove Kaspersky products from customers' PCs.

Best Buy also said it would allow customers with active Kaspersky subscriptions to replace it for free for another product. Best Buy customers have 45 days to take up the company's offer. Interested readers should check with their local Best Buy stores for the exact expiration date.

Office Depot is giving customers a similar deal until November 4. The difference is that customers will be able to exchange Kaspersky with a one year license for McAfee LiveSafe only, and not a product of their choosing.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Best Buy also said it would allow customers with active Kaspersky subscriptions to replace it for free for another product. Best Buy customers have 45 days to take up the company's offer. Interested readers should check with their local Best Buy stores for the exact expiration date.

Office Depot is giving customers a similar deal until November 4. The difference is that customers will be able to exchange Kaspersky with a one year license for McAfee LiveSafe only, and not a product of their choosing.

Somehow I'm not that sure there would be many customers who would come back and say "Yeah, please take my Kaspersky back and give me that sweet, sweet year with McAfee LiveSafe". :D

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
This makes me so :mad:, i knew about Best Buy but now Office Depot too !!
It won't be long until all US stores stop stocking it and i bet the government are putting enormous pressure on vendors and will most likely tell them that they are banning it completely.

Thank heavens for the digital versions and VPN's. I am in the UK so it doesn't affect me but i would bet you my bottom $ that i would go out of my way to get it after all this #####.
And while i'm still angry, what a replacement they are offering, eh, you would think they would offer something half decent, i only hope the people who already use it, stick with it and don't take any notice of all this crap.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
This makes me so :mad:, i knew about Best Buy but now Office Depot too !!
It won't be long until all US stores stop stocking it and i bet the government are putting enormous pressure on vendors and will most likely tell them that they are banning it completely.

Thank heavens for the digital versions and VPN's. I am in the UK so it doesn't affect me but i would bet you my bottom $ that i would go out of my way to get it after all this #####.
And while i'm still angry, what a replacement they are offering, eh, you would think they would offer something half decent, i only hope the people who already use it, stick with it and don't take any notice of all this crap.

I agree. If they want to offer an American replacement product at least offer Norton that has an equivalent level of protection compared to Kaspersky...

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I wonder if the average US citizens have take any notice of this or if they are oblivious to it, i know i would be oblivious to it all if i wasn't a member of MT. I am in no way clued up about security like most of the guys and gals on here so unless there is an outright ban by the government, people won't really know what is happening until or if it is no longer available, current users may just turn to sites like Amazon (sorry if i'm not allowed to mention specific stores) and buy the download version .... i hope they do ;)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I wonder if the average US citizens have take any notice of this or if they are oblivious to it, i know i would be oblivious to it all if i wasn't a member of MT. I am in no way clued up about security like most of the guys and gals on here so unless there is an outright ban by the government, people won't really know what is happening until or if it is no longer available, current users may just turn to sites like Amazon (sorry if i'm not allowed to mention specific stores) and buy the download version .... i hope they do ;)

I hope people will buy straight from Kaspersky 's site. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Americans soon will need to use a VPN to access it.

P

plat1098

Another reason to trust Kaspersky more. Its funny how US Government is trying to act like saint who respects people's privacy. :ROFLMAO:(n)

I am Jane Q. American and I approve this message.

Also, my smaller box store likewise pulled K and replaced it with ESET. Admittedly there must be something there to cause unrest, but what the hell is it? This news should have been more confined to sensitive agencies and businesses, instead it's in the mainstream pool thanks to "news" sources fanning the flames of paranoia--still without something solid and documented. An insult to our collective intelligence.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I am Jane Q. American and I approve this message.

Also, my smaller box store likewise pulled K and replaced it with ESET. Admittedly there must be something there to cause unrest, but what the hell is it? This news should have been more confined to sensitive agencies and businesses, instead it's in the mainstream pool thanks to "news" sources fanning the flames of paranoia--still without something solid and documented. An insult to our collective intelligence.
Atleast they're offering good ESET, not McAfee like above. :ROFLMAO:

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
LOL! Offering McAfee in place of Kaspersky is like replacing machine gun with a potato :ROFLMAO:
Seriously first I thought that I am reading some fake news, then I was shocked and at this point in time I am really sad...
Don't worry US MalwareTips fellas - we will smuggle some KIS licenses to you with drones :LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.