Office Depot Defrauded Customers With Fake Malware Removal Service

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Office Depot Fined $25M for Defrauding Customers With Fake Malware Removal Service - ExtremeTech

This is sickening.... to defraud the more vulnerable through scare tactics. People should be locked up for this.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Nice catch. I wonder if Staples has its own scam? $70 for a simple data transfer, so their other services must be through the roof. I have no idea what other scams these outfits engage in. Just avoid them as much as possible. Best course is to use local outfits, or friends on MT! (y)

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
This is normal for any scam, from the desperate to the low IQ to seniors with declining mental faculties are the ideal targets.

Many walks of life this occurs, including politics. It was highly amusing to watch Trump's and Hillary's campaigns.

Reactions: Vasudev
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Nice catch. I wonder if Staples has its own scam? $70 for a simple data transfer, so their other services must be through the roof. I have no idea what other scams these outfits engage in. Just avoid them as much as possible. Best course is to use local outfits, or friends on MT! (y)

+1

I wouldn't be surprised if they all do it, Staples, Best Buy, etc... I often go to these stores for various things (like many of us do), but I cannot help myself look their computer support counters and go wow, they are so over charging for that. The sad part is, people don't know any better, so they go along with it.

Just to add to your post, with the advent of the internet and things like YouTube, you can pretty much find how to's on virtually everything and many of them lay it out step by step fairly well.(y)

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
+1

I wouldn't be surprised if they all do it, Staples, Best Buy, etc... I often go to these stores for various things (like many of us do), but I cannot help myself look their computer support counters and go wow, they are so over charging for that. The sad part is, people don't know any better, so they go along with it.

Just to add to your post, with the advent of the internet and things like YouTube, you can pretty much find how to's on virtually everything and many of them lay it out step by step fairly well.(y)

Same with car dealerships. They will use scare tactics, not done the job right, and upsell you a lot of things, and even you pay them to do it you will find out they never done it.

Bestbuy " Geek Squad" more than " Scam Squad".

You can't trust anyone this days when it comes to handling your stuff.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.