cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
For any that use StartisBack, it will work fine with the update.

rachman

Level 1
Verified
Mar 6, 2014
For any that use StartisBack, it will work fine with the update.
fyi, Tihiy said on msfn board that there's bunch minor issues but shall be sorted out before official release.

anyway AeroGlass also doesn't work as intended :(

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Are there any choices regarding 100% compatible AV's for update 1? Or there should be no problem with most?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
UPDATE :

A couple of days ago, it has emerged that the version that Microsoft “accidentally” leaked was only a testing build of Windows 8.1 Update 1 which wasn’t actually the RTM flavor we’ve all been expecting for, which means that Redmond most likely continued work on the upcoming OS update.

Now it turns out that a new build has been compiled, with the first signs spotted on a Windows Update page that comprises information about a fix delivered to users as part of the Patch Tuesday rollout.

Neowin is reporting that the hotfix released on Patch Tuesday to address “Video preview is blurry when you open a camera application in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2” is being delivered to a wide array of Windows 8.1 versions, including build number 6.3.9600.17042.

The leaked version that reached the web recently via Microsoft’s servers was version number 6.3.9600.17031, which means that a new build has already been compiled and the company is already delivering a fix to machines running it.

Of course, nobody can tell for sure right now whether this build comes with big changes or not, but it’s pretty clear that we’re getting closer to the public launch which is expected to take place in early April.

People familiar with the development process said that Windows 8.1 Update 1 would most likely be published on MSDN on April 1 or April 2, which means that developers should be able to download it before the BUILD 2014 conference kicks off in San Francisco.

End users, on the other hand, will receive it on April 8, the same day when Microsoft will roll out Patch Tuesday update for several products across its range.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 will come with a long list of improvements, including options to pin metro apps to the taskbar and launch them in their separate windows. This means that PC users would be able to close them with a mouse, so Metro apps would finally make sense on desktop computers as well.

Update 1 will be shipped via Windows Update as a free download for everybody running Windows 8.1, so no download errors are expected to be experienced after launch.

Reactions: jim lin

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i hope this update fixes the known bug of the Home Group desk top icon that
keeps appearing on my desk top

i have to go into the folder options and under the view tab click restore
defaults and it's gone again but comes back sometimes it can take days
before it reappears or 2 or 3 times appearing in a day :mad:

it's been going on since Windows 8 then happens in 8.1 also and i'm not the
only one lol

how hard can it be to fix? lmao

:)

James

Reactions: BoraMurdar

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
So, for all of us who installed the update via the leaked update packages, I understand there will be patches/fixes so we don't need to uninstall update 1.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Yes, we don't need to uninstall update 1.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014

Update 1 will be shipped via Windows Update as a free download for everybody running Windows 8.1, so no download errors are expected to be experienced after launch.
[/QUOTE]

Hello,

I have a question. I have already installed build 9600.17031. When the latest final build be available on April 8, will I be able to apply it on my computer?

Thanks.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
The Spring Update for Windows 8.1 has been added back to Microsoft's Windows Update servers, and we have the links for x86, x64 and ARM versions below. These are official, and there's no reason to assume they are not RTM.

Windows 8.1 x86

kb2919442 (you may already have this installed).
kb2919355
kb2932046
kb2937592
kb2938439
kb2939087

Windows 8.1 x64

kb2932046
kb2919355
kb2937592
kb2938439
kb2939087

Windows RT 8.1 ARM

kb2919355
kb2932046
kb2937592
kb2938439
kb2939087

The Updates must be installed in the following order (according to OEM documents):

1. KB2919442 (you may already have this installed).
  2. KB2919355
  3. KB2932046
  4. KB2937592
  5. KB2938439
  6. KB2939087
Others have had success doing it differently, but we here at Neowin have confirmed the above to be working. It's also possible that you will already have kb291442 already installed.

You can of course opt to wait it out and let Windows Update work its magic sometime at the beginning of April when it'll be rolled out worldwide. Or take the plunge and install now, please do note that the updates require multiple reboots, and may also be pulled from the download locations at any time, like what happened last time.

Via Neowin

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.