For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
Other operating system
Windows Pro
On-device encryption
N/A
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
On
Network firewall
Enabled
About WiFi router
Provided by ISP
Real-time security
Windows Security
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
MS Defender - Block all unknown executables | ASR rules | Platform & Engine Beta channel updates
Smart App Control
Exploit Protection settings
Firewall Hardening
RunBySmartscreen
Windows Spy Blocker
Periodic malware scanners
KVRT
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox I µBO | Brave Search I
Brave | Brave Search | My settings
Edge | Privacy Badger | JShelter | Bing
Secure DNS
Quad9 DNS
Desktop VPN
None
Password manager
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in
Mem Reduct
File and Photo backup
Copy/Paste
Active subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Wiindows built-in | Aomei Backupper Pro Lifetime
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Lenovo L340 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8145U CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.30 GHz 8.00 GB RAM 1TB HDD
Notable changes
22-12-5 Reverted to MS Defender.
23-1-21 Refreshed Windows with SAC in evaluation mode.
23-2-2 Clean Windows installation
23-2-18 SAC user-enabled on
27-2-23 Added Chrome for the lack of 'feature' bloat.
28-2-23 Changed default browser to Chrome
What I'm looking for?

Looking for minimum feedback.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Chrome is probably fastest browser to set up nowadays, all other browsers are bloated except firefox wich is aswell fast to set up

Google save browsing is pretty decent

Are you going to try out the new nvidia rtx super resolution that is meant for chrome ?
Wow just tried on some old 480p stuff. It actually did a decent job. There's one video on that channel that is 360p, it is unwatchable on or off. Just a bad transfer, probably didn't have a clean recording to begin with.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Out of curiosity what’s the deal breaker for Firefox?
I still use it for compartmented browsing but also feel Chrome is more secure.
Chrome is probably fastest browser to set up nowadays, all other browsers are bloated except firefox wich is aswell fast to set up
Indeed! And they appear to be the most bug-free.
Are you going to try out the new nvidia rtx super resolution that is meant for chrome ?
Don't know what that is. I don't have nvidia graphic processor, AFAIK. Is it a Chrome setting?
@oldschool preloading new tab disabled, but have you enabled startup boost in Edge?
No. Doesn't make a noticeable difference.
Chrome... my enemy...
I hope that doesn't make me one! ;)
I am also tempted but only one thing is stopping me. Chrome doesn't warn when you accidently close windows with many tabs open. I have lost several forms because of that. Also sleeping tabs are nice to have.
I am missing a couple of features too, primarily "Clear history on exit" and a couple of small ones like "Don't show bookmarks on NTP".
Google save browsing is pretty decent
I have it off now but I may enable it.

@Moonhorse @blackice I welcome any Chrome tips. (y) :cool:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Don't know what that is. I don't have nvidia graphic processor, AFAIK. Is it a Chrome setting?

I really didnt knew it requires such new gpu though,,

Im currently reading your chrome:/Flags and enabled / disabled some of them myself, for security purposes so im learning from you currently(y)

Allthough im using trend micro on my android device and it requires to use google chrome for web filtering, so im between edge/ chrome

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I still use it for compartmented browsing but also feel Chrome is more secure.

Indeed! And they appear to be the most bug-free.

No. Doesn't make a noticeable difference.

I hope that doesn't make me one! ;)

I am missing a couple of features too, primarily "Clear history on exit" and a couple of small ones like "Don't show bookmarks on NTP".

I have it off now but I may enable it.

Nope :)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Biggest shock since Trump won the election in 2016 🙃
I have an Adavan for you, my friend! Don't worry, I'm using Firefox for any non-tech browsing, emails, etc. In fact, I'm going back to using µBO in medium mode. Really, it's my like my default browser. I switched Edge to Chrome to piss off MS. :LOL:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hi! Can you do a simple test if you don't mind since you have all three browsers installed.
Open Firefox and Task manager side by side. Visit webpages one by one and monitor Microsoft Defender's aka Antimalware Service Executable aka MsMpEng.exe's CPU usage.
Later do the same for Edge/Chrome. Do you see any CPU usage difference of the Microsoft Defender service? Like, does MD use more CPU when browsing on Firefox?

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hi! Can you do a simple test if you don't mind since you have all three browsers installed.
Open Firefox and Task manager side by side. Visit webpages one by one and monitor Microsoft Defender's aka Antimalware Service Executable aka MsMpEng.exe's CPU usage.
Later do the same for Edge/Chrome. Do you see any CPU usage difference of the Microsoft Defender service? Like, does MD use more CPU when browsing on Firefox?
Defender and Chrome @ occasional spikes to 0.3-0.4%
Firefox sees bigger spikes 0.4-0.8%, especially when opening new tabs as high as 6.0+%

I have network protection enabled.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Defender and Chrome @ occasional spikes to 0.3-0.4%
Firefox sees bigger spikes 0.4-0.8%, especially when opening new tabs as high as 6.0+%

I have network protection enabled.
Only 0.4-0.8% while loading webpages? :unsure: So, less than 1%? While opening websites mine reaches upto 10-11% on many websites (I have more extensions though). While it's about 2-4% on a Chromium browser.
Network Protection probably isn't an issue as it has a separate process for it and besides it has no effect on Chrome.
Actually a few months ago I noticed Norton has this issue with Firefox for all users (verified it), yesterday noticed it for MD. So, trying to understand if it's a common thing for MD. I'll have to do some more testing.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
@oldschool I was using brave more always end up back to Chrome, MS EDGE very bloated microsoft could simplify more, unfortunately chrome continues its hegemony as the king of browsers and will continue so for decades, by the way, I believe that no browser will surpass chrome that is a shame. I did not want to install chrome because in W10 and W11 the MS EDGE comes preinstalled, but still think the EDGE bad, the context menu has a lot of unnecessary things sometimes find it useless for a casual user, more hinders than helps so many features.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@oldschool , sorry no

Still on Edge, did not know of that extension. I am running Edge with anti-tracking on default and super-duper javascript protection on basic, but have enabled the allways use strict for both options in Edge. I normally run Edge -inprivate but when I do purchases, banking or connect to my company webaps I just start a 'normal' window (for optimal compatibility) and disable uBO. This works great (also for Netflix, Viaplay and my ISP IPTV). So I do not see a need to limit JavaScript (also because I am using JanWilly;s easy medium mode to reduc third-party exposure).

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
using it on Edge with recommended settings. Might cause some annoying Captchas but apart from that it's still working well.
Thanks. I haven't used it since its early rollout and I see it's improved UI. Good to know you're using it. I played around with it today, tweaked it a bit after re-reading the JShelter thread and so far so good. Seems more useful now that I'm using Chrome and of course unnecessary on Firefox, as you know. (y)

Glad to see you posting again, my friend! :cool:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Thanks. I haven't used it since its early rollout and I see it's improved UI. Good to know you're using it. I played around with it today, tweaked it a bit after re-reading the JShelter thread and so far so good. Seems more useful now that I'm using Chrome and of course unnecessary on Firefox, as you know. (y)

Glad to see you posting again, my friend! :cool:
Not as active as I used to be but I'm still lurking regularly. Won't leave anytime soon. ;)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax changed Chrome DOH to NextDNS with No Google and AdGuard DNS filters.
You should also add OISD full it doesn't have false positives. I found a few though but those are very rare and they fix it quickly after reporting. I also added 1host(lite) and HaGeZi - Multi PRO maybe like 2/3 weeks ago and no false positives yet.
I don't have any idea about the No Google list, but you should check if it allows Chrome updates.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.