Firefox - hardened + µBO + Privacy Badger + eTag Stoppa + MBBG
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in
BleachBit 3.0 - "Hilary uses it!"
RunBySmartscreen
File and Photo backup
Copy/Paste -> Free Agent Drive
System recovery
Windows built-in -> Free Agent drive (monthly)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Lenovo L340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Upgraded Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro

Added Wise Disk Cleaner

Had a little hiccup with W7 updates in the new machine but did an in-place upgrade in very short time.(y) It actually took longer to configure Windows settings than the upgrade itself. :rolleyes: I still have to add backed-up data from the trashed PC and a couple of other programs to make the wife happy! :love:

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I think that this setup may be too hard for your wife. If you installed AVG + VS, then adding H_C will complicate the setup, and can add only a little more security. It could be OK, only if you would manage the installation/update of applications on her computer.:giggle:(y)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I think that this setup may be too hard for your wife. If you installed AVG + VS, then adding H_C will complicate the setup, and can add only a little more security. It could be OK, only if you would manage the installation/update of applications on her computer.:giggle:(y)

I made a mistake posting the configuration. I'm using RunBySmartscreen and Document Anti-Exploit, no H_C. This setup is a no-brainer - simple and protected. (y)

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Uninstalled AVG Free for no particular reason. I actually like it! Clean, nice UI + good web protection.

Returned to Windows Defender setup and made some other small changes - mainly as a base to re-image my system. If I want to try out different software I can return to my basic setup with one click! :sleep:

I must admit it in case you didn't know - I will always have VoodooShield on my system. :cool:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm running the trial version of Emsisoft Animalware. "No muss, no fuss" protection. Honestly, I don't notice any difference from Windows Defender other than a more convenient UI and update notifications.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I've switched adblockers in Edge -> Adguard and Brave -> uBlock Origin. I really like the Windows Defender + VoodooShield combo. I can check sketchy files with WD, VS and RunBySmartscreen. The Cuckoo sandbox in VS is a nice feature as well for those special occasions.

Also testing HDCleaner since it cleans Brave thanks to @Gandalf_The_Grey. You're Da Man! :) We'll see how this compares to cleaning via Brave itself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.