Firefox - hardened + µBO + Privacy Badger + eTag Stoppa + MBBG
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in
BleachBit 3.0 - "Hilary uses it!"
RunBySmartscreen
File and Photo backup
Copy/Paste -> Free Agent Drive
System recovery
Windows built-in -> Free Agent drive (monthly)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Lenovo L340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
New, basic Lenovo laptop which I am just settling into, and had little time to really break things yet. :sneaky: :D This is my initial, simple setup with mostly Windows built-in features - and considering other possibilities.

I'm trying Kerish Doctor because system memory usage was high with unidentified causes. (all the updates from 1809 --> 1903?) It's kind of strange :unsure:, but KD certainly helped with the memory issue.

While I really like Edge Dev I'm also enjoying Brave's built-in features.I wish the former had the latter's granular script blocking ability, which is quite nice. (y)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Added VoodooShield (for the VS haters out there!, thanks @stefanos)

I'm test-driving Privacy Badger with its new heuristics for the next month. My initial impression is that Privacy Possum is still better for me as I use µBO in medium mode most of the time. We will see ...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm trying Kerish Doctor because system memory usage was high with unidentified causes. (all the updates from 1809 --> 1903?) It's kind of strange :unsure:, but KD certainly helped with the memory issue.
what causes your memory issue? Can you show us the screenshot of process explorer?
you can try to disable several services such as superfetch, windows search or follow the guide from blackviper

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
what causes your memory issue? Can you show us the screenshot of process explorer?
you can try to disable several services such as superfetch, windows search or follow the guide from blackviper

Kerish Doctor's memory optimization seemed to do a good job and it seems OK now but I'm continuing to monitor it. I also selected KD's option to disable services as you suggest.Edge Dev is a real hog and WD seems to use more than on my last machine. I'll take a look at the Black Viper site as well. I'll keep you posted as I learn more. Thanks for your reply.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kerish Doctor's memory optimization seemed to do a good job and it seems OK now but I'm continuing to monitor it. I also selected KD's option to disable services as you suggest.Edge Dev is a real hog and WD seems to use more than on my last machine. I'll take a look at the Black Viper site as well. I'll keep you posted as I learn more. Thanks for your reply.
does edge start on boot? It's a common behavior of it on windows 10 -> strongly dislike
if yes you can disable it to prevent it to start on boot, faster boot, lower on ram

by the way, using any memory optimizer frequently is not good for your machine

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
does edge start on boot? It's a common behavior of it on windows 10 -> strongly dislike
if yes you can disable it to prevent it to start on boot, faster boot, lower on ram

by the way, using any memory optimizer frequently is not good for your machine

Old Edge does start on reboot I believe, not Edge Dev. Also, startup is slow @ ~ 2 min. to fully loaded. Secure boot is enabled and I haven't gone into BIOS to disable it yet. Thanks for info about optimizers. KD has a huge load of settings that are kind of scary.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Old Edge does start on reboot I believe, not Edge Dev. Also, startup is slow @ ~ 2 min. to fully loaded. Secure boot is enabled and I haven't gone into BIOS to disable it yet. Thanks for info about optimizers. KD has a huge load of settings that are kind of scary.
you can use this registry to disable edge on boot

run this file
Disable Pre-launching of Microsoft Edge for All Users.reg

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
ConfigureDefender @ Max + SS/Edge = Warn + Security Center = Visible

SS what program is:unsure:

Duh! Now I see. :D SS = Smartscreen. I set & list it this way (as above) because otherwise Max setting is a lock-down setup meant for family and children who use PC. It hides Security Center and sets SS, Internet Explorer and Edge to Block.

@Evjl's Rain here is my screenshot -

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Duh! Now I see. :D SS = Smartscreen. I set & list it this way (as above) because otherwise Max setting is a lock-down setup meant for family and children who use PC. It hides Security Center and sets SS, Internet Explorer and Edge to Block.

View attachment 218959
any chance for the full list of app using process explorer and RAMmap?
I never trust task manager. It's not informative enough for diagnosis

looking at your screenshot, it seems like you have some apps consuming memory
also you should disable cortana

what is your memory usage with everything closed? I want to look at the Performance tab too

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
any chance for the full list of app using process explorer and RAMmap?
I never trust task manager. It's not informative enough for diagnosis

looking at your screenshot, it seems like you have some apps consuming memory
also you should disable cortana

what is your memory usage with everything closed? I want to look at the Performance tab too

I'm not inclined to install PE as I don't have a need for it. I thought I have a lot of apps as well but this is my first-ever new computer. Also, VS seemed a bit glitchy so that prompted the uninstall, as well as my aim to simplify. I've got Cortana off but it looks like I'll need to disable it in registry, along with the old Edge pre-launching. My memory with all apps closed is 35% which I know is too high.

Stupid mistake I made when I performed the initial (out-of-the-box) update of Windows: I forgot to disable VoodoShield and it probably blocked some parts of update. :rolleyes: I may just do a refresh of Windows and see if that fixes it. Or should I clean install?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm not inclined to install PE as I don't have a need for it. I thought I have a lot of apps as well but this is my first-ever new computer. Also, VS seemed a bit glitchy so that prompted the uninstall, as well as my aim to simplify. I've got Cortana off but it looks like I'll need to disable it in registry, along with the old Edge pre-launching. My memory with all apps closed is 35% which I know is too high.

Stupid mistake I made when I performed the initial (out-of-the-box) update of Windows: I forgot to disable VoodoShield and it probably blocked some parts of update. :rolleyes: I may just do a refresh of Windows and see if that fixes it. Or should I clean install?
a clean install would be great but I don't think you should. You can try to uninstall some third-party apps, follow some tweaks and see what happens
this is my memory usage on windows 8.1 x64 with nothing opened and everything essential installed. Not the lowest but good enough for me
1.PNG2.PNG

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
a clean install would be great but I don't think you should. You can try to uninstall some third-party apps, follow some tweaks and see what happens
this is my memory usage on windows 8.1 x64 with nothing opened and everything essential installed. Not the lowest but good enough for me

OK, I'll follow your advice and disable that stuff tomorrow due to bedtime. Thanks again for your help. (y):barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::sleep:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

View attachment 218959
With pretty much standard setup on Windows 10 (8GB RAM) you should have 25-30% RAM consumption. When you post Task Manager screenshots, it is better to sort the entries and maximize the window:
CPU sorted:
CPU sorted.png

Memory sorted:
Memory sorted.png

I have a pretty standard desktop computer with about 25% memory consumption (on idle, Windows 10, 8 GB RAM).

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Ok that's some serious tweak right there, and not for a mere mortal like me :p

@oldschool 30% RAM at idle with only AV running in background is pretty normal.

Lenovo L340 i3 8154U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD
Also I can't find this processor online, is it i3 8145U? It is pretty similar to one in my laptop i7-7500U

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
11% on a 8GB ram PC? What kind of sorcery is this???!!! :confused:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.