Firefox - hardened + µBO + Privacy Badger + eTag Stoppa + MBBG
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in
BleachBit 3.0 - "Hilary uses it!"
RunBySmartscreen
File and Photo backup
Copy/Paste -> Free Agent Drive
System recovery
Windows built-in -> Free Agent drive (monthly)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Lenovo L340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
11% on a 8GB ram PC? What kind of sorcery is this???!!! :confused:
Is windows 8.1. My pc before install windows 10
ram.jpg

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
11% on a 8GB ram PC? What kind of sorcery is this???!!! :confused:
windows 8.1 9300 is a miracle for lower end machines. W10 from 1703 and above is a burden
perhaps, you can disable Largesystemcache, superfetch and prefetcher, some unnecessary services following blackviper's guide
also you can follow this guide:
after that, you can apply syshardener's tweaks, ooshutup and WPD. They can lower resource usage too
I have some personal tweaks collected from various places but might be buggy for other people

NOTE: enable largesystemcache will increase memory usage but improve performance, slightly, not noticeable in my case
disabling superfetch will significantly lower disk activity -> better performance but lengthens boot time (insignificant with SSD or HDD if you defrag it properly)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
30% RAM at idle with only AV running in background is pretty normal.

OK.
Also I can't find this processor online, is it i3 8145U? It is pretty similar to one in my laptop i7-7500U

That's it. I edited config.

@Andy Ful I'll try improving my screenshots when I post next.

@stefanos - You kill me, man! :LOL: This may drive me back to AVG or I may just go crazy. Wait, I already am because I woke up hungry, was only going to eat something and here I am back again. :emoji_grimacing:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
windows 8.1 9300 is a miracle for lower end machines. W10 from 1703 and above is a burden
perhaps, you can disable Largesystemcache, superfetch and prefetcher, some unnecessary services following blackviper's guide
also you can follow this guide:
after that, you can apply syshardener's tweaks, ooshutup and WPD. They can lower resource usage too
I have some personal tweaks collected from various places but might be buggy for other people

NOTE: enable largesystemcache will increase memory usage but improve performance, slightly, not noticeable in my case
disabling superfetch will significantly lower disk activity -> better performance but lengthens boot time (insignificant with SSD or HDD if you defrag it properly)

Evjl's Rain i tried everything to do windows 10 lighter. My system with windows 10 uses 5% 7% more ram than windows 8.1. I have tried to reinstall windows 8.1 many times but I have everytime problems with the updates.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Evjl's Rain i tried everything to do windows 10 lighter. My system with windows 10 uses 5% 7% more ram than windows 8.1. I have tried to reinstall windows 8.1 many times but I have everytime problems with the updates.
w8.1 update issue can be fixed by installing some KBxxxx
after that you need to run ngen update
the same problem with windows 7. After the fix, it will never happen again

steps:
1/ install the following patches in order (for windows x64 only, you can find the same patch for win 32), if you can't install, ignore them

2/ after that, try to install this patch, if you can't, ignore it

3/ after installing these updates, reboot your PC

4/ after reboot, open CMD with administrator privileges and run this command 1 by 1, wait for it to complete
%windir%\microsoft.net\framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe update
%windir%\microsoft.net\framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe update

5/ use Never10 to prevent windows update to force you to upgrade to windows 10

6/ finally try to update. Try to be patient until it complete. It can take very long in the first time

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
w8.1 update issue can be fixed by installing some KBxxxx
after that you need to run ngen update
the same problem with windows 7. After the fix, it will never happen again

steps:
1/ install the following patches in order (for windows x64 only, you can find the same patch for win 32), if you can't install, ignore them

2/ after that, try to install this patch, if you can't, ignore it

3/ after installing these updates, reboot your PC

4/ after reboot, open CMD with administrator privileges and run this command 1 by 1, wait for it to complete

5/ use Never10 to prevent windows update to force you to upgrade to windows 10

6/ finally try to update. Try to be patient until it complete. It can take very long in the first time
Thanks my friend . Tomorrow i try again to install windows 8.1

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Removed Privacy Badger month-long trial aborted as I don't see enough improvement so far to use on its own. On the other hand, Privacy Possum + Edge Dev @ balanced or strict tracking protection may be enough for a lightweight, set & forget solution. Try it and watch PP go to work and see for yourself! (y)

Edit: in italics.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Update on my casual tests of built-in tracking protection with Edge Dev and Brave: If you're using built-in features in either browser and desire a set and forget setup, you should figure on using Privacy Possum or Privacy Badger as a complement. Neither of these browsers provide maximum protection. Both are adequate for ad-free (or mostly ad free) browsing but need some help with at least one of these extensions. They will take on some of the heavy lifting.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The bad news: Clearing and re-seating CMOS in old Lenovo Thinkpad didn't work. It still won't start. I assume it's dead without, or until, further investigation.

The good news: I was able to use my Windows 10 Pro key from the old Thinkpad to upgrade my new L340 and enabled Windows Sandbox. II'll test it out and see how it works.

All suggestions on using the sandbox or Application Guard are welcome, since I know little about either.

Edit: I suppose my i3 processor will be the limiting factor in using Windows Sandbox. ?? :unsure:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I installed WiseVector and tried to download malware at url.haus and had no right-click option to open the malware in a new window. WTF? I'm uninstalling!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
that's certainly not WV's problem. It cannot cause browser to act like that :unsure:
I use chromium and it's still perfectly fine. There is open in new windows in urlhaus

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Which is why I uninstalled W Sandbox.
arrrh, sorry, I thought you uninstall Wisevector :)
you can use Sandboxie (free for 1 sandbox) -> can use it for your browser -> wipe the sandbox -> use another program. It can be easily controlled, not as difficult as Windows Sandbox + more importantly, very light
Paid sandboxie give you the ability to run multiple programs in 1 or many sandboxes -> no need

sandboxie is not as safe as Windows sandbox but very easy to use

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.