Firefox - hardened + µBO + Privacy Badger + eTag Stoppa + MBBG
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in
BleachBit 3.0 - "Hilary uses it!"
RunBySmartscreen
File and Photo backup
Copy/Paste -> Free Agent Drive
System recovery
Windows built-in -> Free Agent drive (monthly)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Lenovo L340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I recently gave Firefox another trial run and I just don't like it. I find very few attractive features, e.g. containers, dark mode, etc. Brave is a better option for built-in control of privacy and security for those who may be looking for a good privacy browser option (and aren't willing to go "tin foil" with Tor!). Brave makes it simple while giving you the option to increase security as desired. The Javascript blocking feature is great, giving you granular control of scripts. Put a web filtering extension like Bitdefender, etc. and you're all set. I like Edge Chromium a lot, but Brave compares very favorably!

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@oldschool sup!

Hey, I didnt have to time to read all messages here, so idk if you already explained, but how exactly did you hardened Brave/Chrome through flags?
ty!
1- type Chrome://flags in omnibox
2- select the desired flag > select the options

read carefully how the flag and description are spelled. Example, if flag is "disable xxx", if you choose "enable" , you will disable the function. ;)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@oldschool sup!

Hey, I didnt have to time to read all messages here, so idk if you already explained, but how exactly did you hardened Brave/Chrome through flags?
ty!

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yes, on close of browser. I checked today and I am still able to read articles on that site.
So, this is likely related to cookies. As you delete cookies it can't detect whether you visited the site before or not. I use an extension which is set to delete cookies 15 seconds after I close the tab so I'll probably have similar result too.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Did you find what processes are necessary to allow in Windows Firewall? I don't wanna use 3rd party firewalls anymore.
I saw in your early post the NoVirus Thanks connection Viewer and already downloaded. I'm still testing it but it looks like a logging program that helps to identify the connections but it shows the established connections only.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Did you find what processes are necessary to allow in Windows Firewall? I don't wanna use 3rd party firewalls anymore.
I saw in your early post the NoVirus Thanks connection Viewer and already downloaded. I'm still testing it but it looks like a logging program that helps to identify the connections but it shows the established connections only.
by default, WF allow all outbound connections, firewalls were never supposed to block outbound connections but only inbound ones.
3rd party security vendors are responsible for those outbound monitoring. They pushed it as a feature.
Personally, after a clean install, and the OS is setup, i block all outbound connections and create rules on the fly, case by case.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
by default, WF allow all outbound connections, firewalls were never supposed to block outbound connections but only inbound ones.
3rd party security vendors are responsible for those outbound monitoring. They pushed it as a feature.
Personally, after a clean install, and the OS is setup, i block all outbound connections and create rules on the fly, case by case.

Yeah I always wanted to do the same but In native windows firewall setup it was harder. or just for me. :)
I used WFC in whitelist mode (block all outbound and inbound except those...) but I prefer no 3rd party firewall controls.
Now I exported the rules from WFC and imported in Windows Firewall.
It saved me a lot of time to make rules from scratch. It should be easy from now to allow new rules without any firewall control.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Yeah I always wanted to do the same but In native windows firewall setup it was harder. or just for me. :)
I used WFC in whitelist mode (block all outbound and inbound except those...) but I prefer no 3rd party firewall controls.
Now I exported the rules from WFC and imported in Windows Firewall.
It saved me a lot of time to make rules from scratch. It should be easy from now to allow new rules without any firewall control.
indeed i also used WFC this way to generate the first batch of rules then import them manually in WF after removing WFC. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.