Privacy News On all computers in Russia it is planned to preinstall Russian antiviruses

military

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
The Russian government has introduced the national project "Digital Economy", in the passport of which there is an interesting proposal from the Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Communications of Russia: Legislatively ensure the presetment of domestic anti-virus programs for all personal computers imported and created in the territory of the Russian Federation , starting from August 1 2020 reports "Kommersant".

Colleagues from other departments positively assess the initiative of the Ministry of Communications. For example, experts from the Ministry of Economy added a response with a recommendation how to substantiate a possible violation of WTO rules: import substitution is proposed to be carried out "with a view to ensuring national security".

commented on "Kommersant" in the press service of the Ministry of Economy.

Eugene Kaspersky, general director of Kaspersky Lab, in an interview with Kaspersky, explained that the scale of Russian import substitution can not even closely compare with what is happening in the United States:

"They have import substitution - this is not only a slogan, like ours, the entire system is initially built in such a way. Therefore, in North America, we have very little chance of gaining any market share. "

The initiative was also supported by Natalia Kaspersky, President of Infowotech:

"Antivirus can gather information and then analyze it somewhere. How will it look from the point of view of the country's security if we place Symantec everywhere? He will see everything from us, "- said Kaspersky.

Currently, there are two large players on the Russian and CIS markets: ESET and Kaspersky Lab, with ESET accounting for about a third of the antivirus market.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

The initiative was also supported by Natalia Kaspersky, President of Infowotech:

"Antivirus can gather information and then analyze it somewhere. How will it look from the point of view of the country's security if we place Symantec everywhere? He will see everything from us, "- said Kaspersky.

So she officially admit it, thank for the info.

Kaspersky (and others) is officially spying on you LOL

now guys, feel free to use AVs hahahaha

itwt

military

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
If look at the other side? "can gather" - it is not necessary that this is already happening.
Now let's assume that the Cold War will go even further. And as @Lockdown said - the state can use corporations for its own purposes, including for spying. In this case, is it safe to use someone else's antivirus software?
Although on the other hand, in the worst case, Windows is also not a safe system.
I don't know what's best. I try to think from different positions.

In occasion of other problems in the country. The article deals with only one element. National project "Digital Economy" - a huge project in which there are so many different things, including useful ones, including for digital security.

P.S
In the US, laptops are sold with a clean system or with preinstalled programs? At the same time we sold with pre-installed McAfee AV.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

So she officially admit it, thank for the info.
Kaspersky (and others) is officially spying on you LOL

Natalya Kaspersky runs GData, not Kaspersky Antivirus of which she has zero affiliation.

All computers (and most mobile devices) in the USA are pre-installed with state sponsored AV's. Usually McAfee. It used to be Norton, but Norton got out of the cheap, pre-installed, malware-like AV business and McAfee took that over. So nothing new here. I would think each country should install their home-grown AV's as a measure of helping advance the business of those local products. McAfee is a telemetry gathering beast and has close ties with the US Military/Intelligence complex so that's probably why it is installed (and the first thing removed) on US PC's.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Natalya Kaspersky runs GData, not Kaspersky Antivirus of which she has zero affiliation.
i think you should update your source LOL

Natalya Ivanovna Kasperskaya -- who, in the West, uses as her surname the masculine form Kaspersky -- is a Russian IT entrepreneur, President of the 'InfoWatch' Group of companies, and co-founder and former CEO of antivirus security software company 'Kaspersky Lab'. Wikipedia

Born: February 5, 1966 (age 52 years), Moscow, Russia

Net worth: $270 million (August 2015)
Spouse: Igor Ashmanov (m. 2001), Eugene Kaspersky (m. 1987–1998)
Education: Moscow Institute of Electronics and Mathematics (1984–1989), The Open University
Children: Ivan Kaspersky
Organizations founded: Kaspersky Lab, ZAO InfoWatch

or maybe the one i mentioned has a doppelganger but no , it is her:

Natalya Kaspersky becomes share holder at G Data Software AG and will be elected on to the supervisory board

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Oh come now.. McAfee is the primary CAC antivirus for DISA, DOD, US Army, and others. The level of telemetry/logging in McAfee is pretty nuts. But I do remember a story way back where McAfee reached out to some specific intelligence gathering divisions and 'checked' to make sure their stuff wouldn't capture their tools. I do love conspiracies, but I also have a long memory. :p

P.S
In the US, laptops are sold with a clean system or with preinstalled programs? At the same time we sold with pre-installed McAfee AV.

A person can purchase systems with or without preinstalled programs. You can even buy systems without any OS, but off the shelf the vast majority of systems are Windows crammed with bloatware.

The preinstalled security softs are invariably McAfee or Norton.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Makes sense to try and boost their economy by making resident use home grown products. Also the government would have more power over the AV vendors if they reside in the country, making them develop backdoors or allow certain malware used by the government to go undetected to spy on people of interest.

Reactions: Weebarra

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Oh come now.. McAfee is the primary CAC antivirus for DISA, DOD, US Army, and others. The level of telemetry/logging in McAfee is pretty nuts. But I do remember a story way back where McAfee reached out to some specific intelligence gathering divisions and 'checked' to make sure their stuff wouldn't capture their tools. I do love conspiracies, but I also have a long memory. :p

McAfee was the low-cost bidder that met some broad parameters for basic endpoint security on a very large scale. And really... that sorta summarizes McAfee.

And effectively, they are being pushed aside with other products as 'the adversary' has sliced through McAfee over and over.

Telemetry gathering or any other such activities if done would be conducted in pretty controlled ways by other entities.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.