Battle On-Demand Scanner - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free or Emsisoft Emergency Kit?

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
In my honoust opinion it is best to not put all your eggs into one basket , meaning that two or three on demand scanners can catch more than one does. that being said : malwarebytes , Emsisoft emergency kit and zemana anti malware free are the three best to have , what one of them does not detect the other two will :)

Tyrizian

Level 1
Verified
Sep 9, 2015
In my honoust opinion it is best to not put all your eggs into one basket , meaning that two or three on demand scanners can catch more than one does. that being said : malwarebytes , Emsisoft emergency kit and zemana anti malware free are the three best to have , what one of them does not detect the other two will :)

I completely agree with this.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Emsisoft Emergency Kit contains a collection of programs that can be used without installing software and is also portable and can be used on a USB.
Although no real time protection it will scan and clean an infected PC.

Malwarebytes Antimalware does provide real time protection on the premium (paid) version but the free version works well as an on demand scanner.
Since they use different methods of detection it would be more advisable to use both especially when EEK does not require installation as MBAM does.

Since EEK contains a command line scanner,uses a dual engine scanner (their own & Bitdefender's) and does not require software installation I would choose EEK for the sake of the poll

However I personally use both,except on my PC's that I use Emsisoft Internet Security,along with Zemana Antimalware.On those PC's that I use EIS I use MBAM & ZAM as my only on demand scanners

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I can't vote for one over the other for the simple fact that you can't really have too many on demand scanners. With that said, there is also no need to over do it (having both is not too much in this case). EEK has an advantage of two engines. Emsisoft and Bitdefender. Naturally it MAY detect more files/registries, etc as malicious however it also has a higher false positive rate - meaning files that are not malicious but are detected as such (I am basing this on personal experience - both on my personal computer that uses many not typically used software and on novice users PC that mostly use trusted and tested software). Emsisoft Emergency Kit does not have the same capabilities as Malwarebytes (personal opinion. For free, I also believe it is more experienced (and more focused on) removal of active threats which is the goal).

This of course is it's ability to be installed and used on a previously infected computer. Malwarebytes (if you accept the use of a free trial - this is not available on free version) can prevent termination of it's processes, and its cleaning up with something called Chameleon. This is not available for free version according to the free vs paid chart found here: What's the difference between the M...

I find Malwarebytes is more accurate (finds threats with less or fewer false positives than Emsisoft) and more efficient removal especially if you use the premium version (which is not being compared as you are looking for free - just being through). For that reason alone, I recommend Malwarebytes Free over Emsisoft Emergency Kit if you MUST have one over the other. I would consider using both. They work well together.

Other benefits for Emsisoft: Portable (USB friendly unlike Malwarebytes), has more tools (for both novice and experienced users for free without any extra download), more engines can sometimes means more threats found - both Emsisoft and Bitdefender are very capable. Malwarebytes is focused on the newest threats rather than older ones and new - this can be both a disadvantage and advantage for Emsisoft. For me, the scanning speed for full USB/HDD/SSD is faster.

Other benefits for Malwarebytes: Emsisoft believe in prevention (preventing threats from entering the system rather than cleaning up the aftermath) which can be a reason to believe they are not as focused as others with removal of active (or inactive, remnants of (as in files that pose no threat to the system unless executed - some are simply not executable)) threats as Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is significantly smaller in size compared to Emsisoft Emergency Kit - shouldn't matter with good download speed and having no data limit - just something to keep in mind. Malwarebytes will probably have definitions and more successful at removal for very new threats.

Both have custom scan on free version. Malwarebytes Hyper scan (looks in active memory, directories, etc for active threats) with paid only - keep in mind you can achieve the same using custom scan. EEK has quick (active threats and it's traces) and Malware Scan (typical places that malware hides). Custom can be used for full scans. Use Direct Disk Access to scan for rootkits only, not entire drives - I've had a crash using this for what it is not intended for.

Personal recommendation from me is to use both if you feel your system is infected or as a simple check up. They won't bother each other (unfortunately quarantined files that are not encrypted and such by another product can be detected by another product - I haven't had this issue because I reinstall or restore a full backup to ensure a real infection (if verified) isn't persistent. Maybe someone here knows if both or one encrypts/hides a file so it is rendered useless and doesn't throw off another product).

H

hjlbx

Using EEK and Zemana is kind of pointless due to the Bitdefender overlap.

With that being said, an alternative strategy is to install Malwarebytes on the system and use a portable scanner installed on a USB.

Whatever you do use, you will eventually learn\realize that multiple AV scans on your system are pointless...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
If i had time to do only one scan then i'd pick EEK because i believe it will find more threats, if no time limit then use both, and if no time limit + have online access then Zemana AM portable & MBAM Free because Zemana find more threats & MBAM good at PUP&PUM.

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Why decide between EEK and MBAM? Both have no realtime-protection (MBAM on free-mode). You can use EEK, MBAM, Zemana, Microsoft Safety Scanner (just examples, which I'm regularly using) and any Realtime-Antivirus for parallel system-scanning.

More Engines (and more signature databases) = More/better detection ratio.
But be careful. Not every detection is real malware. If you're using more scan-engines, the false positive ratio will be higher automatically. Don't delete every detection without checking carefully.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Poll modified:
Others/combination (please state which and why) <-- was added

I personally use MBAM. EEK can sometimes be a bit aggressive for my taste, personal choice tho.

Both good in its own way. Use both for a piece of mind.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Why decide between EEK and MBAM? Both have no realtime-protection
Thats the whole idea behind "On Demand" we are discussing scanners to use as a second opinion that are "Not" run in realtime, IE for emergencies or Second Opinion only.
PeAcE

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I use zemana portable first and malwarebytes portable only if PUPs still persist.

I think zemana deepscan can detect most of the things but some chibese PUPs are usually missed so it's time for mbam

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.