BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
90ea740a-3a71-479c-afa8-e71f3726de55
You've got one day to upgrade to Windows 10 for free - Do it, even if you don't want it
8BSkpiF.png

It was July 29, 2015 when Microsoft launched Windows 10. At the time, the company promised thatanyone with Windows 7, 8.1, or Phone 8.1 would be able to receive a free upgrade for the first year. Tomorrow, that year will be over.

Of course, that timeline does not apply to phones. In fact, Microsoft didn't even end up keeping the Windows Phone 8.1 side of the promise, only offering an upgrade to a small subset of Windows phones, and even then, users need to know to download the Upgrade Advisor app.

There are lots of reasons to upgrade to Windows 10, but let's face it. You're probably not interested in them. After all, you've faced off against the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app for the past year, fending off tricky prompts and forced upgrades. In fact, GWX now shows a menacing alert icon which, when clicked, shows a countdown to the night of July 29.

But there are new and exciting features coming in Windows 10. For example, the Anniversary Updatewill be made available just four days later. The Update will bring loads of new features, such as extensions in the Edge browser, Cortana improvements, Windows Ink, and the ability to get Win32 apps from the Windows Store, making them easier to install and uninstall, and safer.

Even all of that might not be enough for you to upgrade, because if it's not broken, why fix it? The answer is because once you upgrade your PC to Windows 10, it will be licensed for the new OS, meaning that you can roll back to Windows 7 or 8.1, and then upgrade again for free anytime that you wish, even after July 29.

So even if the Anniversary Update doesn't have any features that you want, you might want the features in the next update, or the one after that. Windows 7 is supported until 2020, so you might want to have an upgrade plan in place.

Nevertheless, you have just over a day to decide; however, it's best to know what your options are at this point.

BlackShot

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
I have a question about this.

I've already upgraded to Windows 10 back in 2015 (with my Windows 8 key). But what if I need to reinstall/format my system completely? I usually installed Windows 8 and upgraded to Windows 10 again (to make a clean installing). Will that still be possible?

N

NullByte

If you had Windwos 7 or 8 and upgraded to Windows 10 and you wanna make a clean install you have to pay for that.

1. The free upgrade offer ends on July 29 and will not be extended.
2. Any upgrades completed before that date will be valid for as long as the device lasts.
3. There is a possibility that Microsoft will introduce some new upgrade offers after July 29, but don't count on it.

This upgrade is not free, it's a scam to force people to upgrade and after that to pay to get it back.

BlackShot

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
If you had Windwos 7 or 8 and upgraded to Windows 10 and you wanna make a clean install you have to pay for that.

1. The free upgrade offer ends on July 29 and will not be extended.
2. Any upgrades completed before that date will be valid for as long as the device lasts.
3. There is a possibility that Microsoft will introduce some new upgrade offers after July 29, but don't count on it.

This upgrade is not free, it's a scam to force people to upgrade and after that to pay to get it back.

So it means that after tomorrow I won't be able to perform clean install as I used to? :eek:

Aren't there any other ways to perform a clean install on Windows 10 having a Windows 8 original key?

N

NullByte

We know not everyone wants to upgrade to Windows 10 right now, and that’s fine. But one day, you’ll probably have to. And you don’t want to have to pay $119 for it. By upgrading a computer now and then rolling back to Windows 7 or 8, you’ll get to keep your original version of Windows, but “reserve” that free Windows 10 license for all your PCs.

Get Windows 10 for Free After July 29th, with a Little Prep Now

N

NullByte

From the article I posted above:

Note that this is tied to your computer’s specific hardware, not your Microsoft account. The free Windows 10 license you receive will only work on that PC–if you upgrade the motherboard or try to install Windows 10 on another PC that doesn’t have the digital entitlement, it won’t work.

BlackShot

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
@BlackShot That's a good question because my current Factory Reset (Recovery Partition) comes with Window 8, does yours?

I actually bought a new HDD years ago and installed Windows 7 on it. Then I ordered a Windows 8 key on a Microsoft sale and installed it on my PC. So Microsoft provided me the Windows 10 upgrade, and I did it.

Did I get your question right?

Yes, if you have upgraded before I think you can do it again, even after tomorrow

Yeah, I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.